Confirmed with Link: [VAN/BOS] Canucks acquire F Jack Studnicka for G Mikey DiPietro, D Jonathan Myrenberg

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Myrenberg will probably be nothing, but why give up on one of your best d prospects so early? Studnicka has some nice skill, but can’t skate and has shown nothing offensively at the NHL level. The added center depth is always nice I guess
Probably be nothing and one of the best D prospect. That’s just a sad sentence

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
how is this not a win for us

yes we traded one of our top RHD prospects but that's not saying much when the other guy is jett woo
In reality, it's a nothing trade. But I would chalk it as an L because it reeks of the Benning stench: A classic age-gap trade. Worse, it arose because they realized with their failed $56M bet on Miller playing center and Lazar injured, they needed to make a trade for another center just to ice a roster.

I'd honestly rather let the one, single RHD prospect of note just develop and see where he goes instead of trading for a guy whose ceiling is capped as a bottom-six player.

DiPietro wanted out, the org didn't want him, that's just ancillary to the actual Myrenburg-Studnicka transaction.

Reactions: mossey3535 and clay

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
ok relax guys, myrenberg is not the next gustav forsling

the reason why we were so excited about forsling was the fact that he was playing regular top 4 minutes in the SHL in his D+1 season, which is wild for a prospect we drafted in the 5th round

myrenberg played a few games in the SHL but not the majority, and he's in the second division this season

sure, he might be good, but the forsling trade by benning was absolutely insane to me.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Studnicka was a pretty good prospect a couple years ago but hasn’t developed.

I guess they’re going to roll with Miller at W for a bit and needed a more talented option than Lazar or Aman in the C rotation.

Lazar is injured for a few weeks.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
In reality, it's a nothing trade. But I would chalk it as an L because it reeks of the Benning stench: A classic age-gap trade. Worse, it arose because they realized with their failed $56M bet on Miller playing center and Lazar injured, they needed to make a trade for another center just to ice a roster.

I'd honestly rather let the one, single RHD prospect of note just develop and see where he goes instead of trading for a guy whose ceiling is capped as a bottom-six player.

DiPietro wanted out, the org didn't want him, that's just ancillary to the actual Myrenburg-Studnicka transaction.

1) myrenberg hasn't done anything to drop his status as a prospect, but it's not like he's been out of this world
2) calling the miller signing a failure 6 games into the season is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?
3) thinking they would trade our "one single RHD prospect of note" just to fill a gap at centre when they could simply just keep playing miller at centre is kind of a stretch, no?

Reactions: Vector

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I remember Studnicka from the 2019 WJCs where he and Dipietro were teammates but have zero grasp of his defensive/3-zone game at this point.

Average defensively from what I remember. Had a couple decent games, but was more an energy guy. Maybe he's grown since? Don't know.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Really liked Myrenberg as a prospect but that being said he is 3/4 years away still

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ok relax guys, myrenberg is not the next gustav forsling

the reason why we were so excited about forsling was the fact that he was playing regular top 4 minutes in the SHL in his D+1 season, which is wild for a prospect we drafted in the 5th round

myrenberg played a few games in the SHL but not the majority, and he's in the second division this season

sure, he might be good, but the forsling trade by benning was absolutely insane to me.

Forsling had also just been named the top defender at the WJCs in his draft+1. He would have been a top-40 pick in a redraft done only 6 months after the draft.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Studnicka is the best player in the trade. Last season he had a great camp, but for whatever reason Cassidy jobbed him. Never was able to get his confidence and game going during the season when he had spotty chances. This season he had a mediocre camp.

Over the past few years it was hoped he would be able to be a middle 6 center for the Bruins. Probably would have had that chance had Bergeron and Krejci not returned this season. With those guys returning and Coyle being 3C there wasn't really any room for Studnicka to be on the roster. His skill set is not ideal for 4C, so Nosek has that position locked up.

I think Studnicka definitely has the potential to be a pretty good 3C in the NHL. Just needs some consistent time at the NHL level. Wasn't going to happen in Boston. Hope he does well for you guys.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
+1 contract slot

Ship out two guys who weren't going to be much of anything.

Gain a guy who can be an NHL regular at the C position and not look horrible defensively making peanuts.

Absolute win, even though it's not a trade we 'needed'. It's a good little upgrade of assets.

Use the contract slot to take a punt on a RHD college or Euro free agent when you can, and it's an even bigger W.

We didn't gain a contract spot.

We moved one contract + the rights of a player with no contract for one contract.

Glad to finally ship Dipietro out after we just watched him completely rot on the vine after a promising development curve. The COVID year was a death knell for his career here IMO, but it was insane how hyped up he was here by management and local—guess we're just used to none of our prospects having even a modicum of success.

Myrenberg not even close to a Forsling type player and I feel like too many people can only compare things to Benning's moves because of how much he broke our spirits and hope over those 8 years. It's just so sad how few D prospects we have.

A completely fine trade to make. Don't feel we really gave up much value here.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Don't know why they bothered qualifying DiPietro in the first place. It was clear they preferred Silovs and would need a veteran goalie with him in Abbotsford.

Hopefully Studnicka is better than typical waiver wire options. I'm not high on Myrenberg, but still would prefer not to give up on him this early for a player who could easily end up on waivers.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

We moved one contract + the rights of a player with no contract for one contract.
Why did I have it in my mind that Myrenberg was a euro free agent they took a shot on like a year ago and gave a contract to? I might be mixing him up with someone else.

Thanks for the correction.

Ahh, I see, I mixed him up with Filip Johansson.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Glad to finally ship Dipietro out after we just watched him completely rot on the vine after a promising development curve. The COVID year was a death knell for his career here IMO, but it was insane how hyped up he was here by management and local—guess we're just used to none of our prospects having even a modicum of success.

Myrenberg not even close to a Forsling type player and I feel like too many people can only compare things to Benning's moves because of how much he broke our spirits and hope over those 8 years. It's just so sad how few D prospects we have.

A completely fine trade to make. Don't feel we really gave up much value here.
Probably because he was a goalie prospect and if there's one area that at least showed some signs of being proficient is..it's goaltending.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I think Filip Johansson has taken the spot as top RHD prospect. You just know giving up on a 19 year old who has been on the upswing will burn us even though if we had kept him hes probably a nothing player

Meh trade adds depth, DiPietro is finally gone

Reactions: Grantham and Vector

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Feels odd to move a decent 19 year old RD who is around 3 years from making an impact. Liked Myrenberg and filled an organization need in our prospect pool

Management probably hates Miller at C, they will probably bring Studnika and immediately play him at 3C here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad