Confirmed with Link: [VAN/BOS] Canucks acquire F Jack Studnicka for G Mikey DiPietro, D Jonathan Myrenberg

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I feel like outside of some AHL scoring, we will never see any consequences, positive or negative, from this trade.
i bet you he's going straight into the lineup above dries when he gets here

whether or not he sticks is a different question

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
1) myrenberg hasn't done anything to drop his status as a prospect, but it's not like he's been out of this world
2) calling the miller signing a failure 6 games into the season is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?
3) thinking they would trade our "one single RHD prospect of note" just to fill a gap at centre when they could simply just keep playing miller at centre is kind of a stretch, no?
1. The club has zero RHD depth and he's a B-level prospect in that category. Why trade him for a guy hitting waivers?
2. It was a failure when it happened. Unnecessary, wrong direction, terrible.
3. They don't have any RH centers other than Lazar, so here's the emergency trade.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Probably because he was a goalie prospect and if there's one area that at least showed some signs of being proficient is..it's goaltending.

Did he though...?

At the end of the day he was a .905 AHL goalie while being a sub-6 footer. He had a steep climb ahead of him to become the next Saros or Quick type undersized goalie.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think Filip Johansson has taken the spot as top RHD prospect. You just know giving up on a 19 year old who has been on the upswing will burn us even though if we had kept him hes probably a nothing player

Meh trade adds depth, DiPietro is finally gone
This is a good point

and i suspect we will be active in NCAA RD prospects as well. Boy could we use a Tanev

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Studnicka probably would have been on waivers soon. Giving up any RD prospect is a step backwards at this point.

I was contemplating that too. Boston didn't want him in the roster. For Boston this return beats nothing on waivers. The question from the Canucks is would some other team have bid anything and made a deal and grabbed him. They flinched.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
1. The club has zero RHD depth and he's a B-level prospect in that category. Why trade him for a guy hitting waivers?
2. It was a failure when it happened. Unnecessary, wrong direction, terrible.
3. They don't have any RH centers other than Lazar, so here's the emergency trade.
1. not sure he would hit waivers yet given krejci's injury. also the list of top 4 defensemen drafted after round 4 from sweden is pretty weak, especially for a guy not playing regular top 4 minutes in the SHL.
2. i also didn't want miller signed, but they chose the path of a quick re-tool, which is... fine, for that path. i would've preferred a "bad" season to try and move out salary to desperate contenders.
3. i think this would probably be a talking point for allvin and company, but i sort of doubt it's a priority in practice.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

reads like a benning comment lmao

two of em!

Lol yeah these feel like copy pastes, but just have to pray that the new pro scouting can actually find us some legitimate players.

The thing about all the Benning quotes was mostly that he would be like "I loved this player in his draft year" but they were actually a very flawed player like Tyler Myers or Linden Vey. If the tide can change on pro scouting...ok sure if you liked that player in junior and what they've done in the AHL, thats ok.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lol yeah these feel like copy pastes, but just have to pray that the new pro scouting can actually find us some legitimate players.

The thing about all the Benning quotes was mostly that he would be like "I loved this player in his draft year" but they were actually a very flawed player like Tyler Myers or Linden Vey. If the tide can change on pro scouting...ok sure if you liked that player in junior and what they've done in the AHL, thats ok.
ill never rly have a problem with age gap trades in theory - should usually be buy low candidates who you are giving up low value futures for

but it’s still the same pro scouting staff with new faces at the upper management level

Reactions: m9

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
5 years is pretty accurate for Myrenberg. 2 years in the SHL 1/2 year in the AHL

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Never really want to be trading prospects for an injury fill-in.. but I'm fine with the target here. Actually thought he was a guy we might look at last year before the Dickinson trade went down.

Kind of just needed healthy NHL bodies at this point.

Reactions: Vector

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
RH centerman? Cool.

I expect nothing, as I feel that's what we gave up.

This either means Lazar is out a while, or a trade for one of our centers is being heavily worked on.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Crying about myrenberg is really ridiculous, he might be a bottom pair dman, and dipietro is nothing.

The age gapper reasoning isn't my favorite though.
I'm sure certain posters will still claim there are absolutely no similarities though..

Reactions: Canucks LB

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Only reason to be a bit miffed about losing a D prospect is because of the absolute negligent job Jim Benning did when it came to drafting and developing defensemen over his eight year reign paired with the constant lack of pick volume and quality.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
9D0FF14A-EA99-4CEA-9EB7-EBB06752E6B1.gif

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't trade Myrenberg for Studnicka straight up.

Myrenberg might be draft in the 5th round but has size and trended much better than your average 5th.

Studnicka was a 2nd and had a much better pedigree at the draft, but has failed to crack the NHL, and looked like his development stalled.

You hope its Studnicka simply not given the opportunity on a team with pretty good center depth. Or else we traded a dman with potential for a center with limited upside.

Reactions: quat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad