Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Antoine Roussel signs with the Canucks (4 years, $3M AAV)

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Matthieu Schneider comes to mind. Not really overpaid I guess. Most obvious example would be Wade Redden, but that didn't hamper the Rangers either. Okay, so let's say he doesn't sign Rousell and Beagle. Has the extra 7 million from that now. Who do you sign? you have over 25 million in cap space. Who would you get that would also want to come to Vancouver to fill up roster spots?

Who are the quality players that want to come to Vancouver? The RFAs from Vancouver I have already fit under the cap at generous overpayments, so which quality UFA's can you entice to come to a losing team, with a high income tax and a high cost of living city?
Redden was before the rule change if i remember correctly.

You could bury an entire contract with no implications to the cap. Now you can't do that. There's a maximum amount of dollars per contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Are you under the delusion that injuries don't happen or did you forget the the Canucks lost the most man-games out of any NHL team for like the last 2 seasons?
Are you under the delusion that we are a good team right now and can compete?

You do realize Benning inherited a mess right? Yes he has made mistakes, but he's also stocked the cupboard pretty full of pretty good prospects.
This isn't a Benning problem as much as it is an Insert_Random_GM_After_Gillis_Here problem

He's had misses for sure, name one GM who hasn't. You're expecting him to work miracles with what he's given. I'm assuming you were on the Fire Burke Fire Nonis Fire Gillis train too right? So.. why even hire a GM they're all terrible apparently

When the Canucks needed to employ Michael Chaput to be their 3rd line centre for extended periods of time over the last 2 years.. it says that the depth is not good. So yes, he's going to sign players that can plug holes. Again. They are still under the cap. No marquee free agent is coming to Vancouver. If he's signing plugs, it means the kids aren't ready.
He was hired 2 weeks after Ron Hextall who was also given a mess by Holmgren and almost no prospects in the pipeline.

There is nothing wrong with signing plugs. But the smart thing to do is to sign them for 1-2 years so you can sell them off at the deadline. Not sign them for 4 years after you have been rebuilding for 5 years already.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Redden was before the rule change if i remember correctly.

You could bury an entire contract with no implications to the cap. Now you can't do that. There's a maximum amount of dollars per contract.

Right, but the cap isn't the issue. We have cap. The issue is a roster spot is taken up by a plug. Okay.. so put him in the minors problem solved. These people are making up issues and i'm logically solving them but they don't want to listen because BENNING SUCKS FIRE BENNING

shrug

We've all agreed that cap isn't the issue it's term. Okay. so People are scared that the kids won't get roster spots because of the plugs. Okay.. so send said plugs to minors, the cap is still the same which isn't a problem, freeing up a roster spot for a kid. But wait.. that makes too much sense.. but fire benning anyway because no one ever does that! okay.. but if the Coach wants to send a plug to the minors to call up a kid.. that's on the coach... so.. DON"T CARE FIRE BENNING!

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
He was hired 2 weeks after Ron Hextall who was also given a mess by Holmgren and almost no prospects in the pipeline.

There is nothing wrong with signing plugs. But the smart thing to do is to sign them for 1-2 years so you can sell them off at the deadline. Not sign them for 4 years after you have been rebuilding for 5 years already.

In a perfect world, yes.

But other teams were driving up the price *term*

okay so walk away!

okay.. let's pretend he walked away and let's pretend we buy out Sutter and Gudbranson for shits and giggles

15 million freed up to the 26 we already had.. 41 million in cap space for 4 players! WOW we could get ANYONE WE WANTED TO!

now... if only we could find people who want to play in Vancouver...

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
If people come to me and say we could have signed x or y if only we had cap. We didn't have cap because of those terrible contracts to Gudbranson and Sutter then I would agree with you.

But we didn't miss out on a marquee free agent because we couldn't pay them. We can pay anyone max. yet we still didn't get marquee free agents because no one wants to come to vancouver. So what's the problem? The kids are all going to be taken care of around the time these contracts come off the books.

The math checks out.. like i don't understand at this point

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In a perfect world, yes.

But other teams were driving up the price *term*

okay so walk away!

okay.. let's pretend he walked away and let's pretend we buy out Sutter and Gudbranson for ****s and giggles

15 million freed up to the 26 we already had.. 41 million in cap space for 4 players! WOW we could get ANYONE WE WANTED TO!

now... if only we could find people who want to play in Vancouver...
Common sense....no need to pay 4th liners big money for 4 year term. Just dumb.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
I'll even go a step further

Right now only 3 kids really warrant a 6-8 million bridge deal (Petersson/Hughes/Boeser)

okay, so right now you still have room to lock up Boeser.. so let's go crazy 8 years 9 million for Boeser - 26-7-9 = 10 Still have 10 million in cap this year alone

Pettersson and Hughes sign their ELC's and in 3 years it expires and they're due for a raise. Let's just say the Canucks can't offer them much because of Beagle/Roussel/Erikkson/Sutter deals

They qualify both Pettersson and Hughes at about 1.5 million each with the promise that when the albatross contracts come off they get their max deals the following year

Following year Pettersson and Hughes get paid

Again, the math works out with the way the CBA is right now.. the term isn't great, but it's not doom and gloom as there are ways to ensure the kids get paid when they need to get paid. People just need to chill

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Common sense....no need to pay 4th liners big money for 4 year term. Just dumb.
]

okay great, you still haven't answered my question. Who do you get to take those spots? you've walked away now.. Who do you get to play in Vancouver that has grit?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Right now only 3 kids really warrant a 6-8 million bridge deal (Petersson/Hughes/Boeser)

okay, so right now you still have room to lock up Boeser.. so let's go crazy 8 years 9 million for Boeser - 26-7-9 = 10 Still have 10 million in cap this year alone

Pettersson and Hughes sign their ELC's and in 3 years it expires and they're due for a raise. Let's just say the Canucks can't offer them much because of Beagle/Roussel/Erikkson/Sutter deals

They qualify both Pettersson and Hughes at about 1.5 million each with the promise that when the albatross contracts come off they get their max deals the following year

Again, the math works out with the way the CBA is right now.. the term isn't great, but it's not doom and gloom as there are ways to ensure the kids get paid when they need to get paid. People just need to chill
Lmao, good luck with that.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Okay so you want to replace these people. With who? And if they're a black hole, they should be sent to the minors if there are better options on the farm yes? That's not a GM decision to dress offensive black holes (especially when Gudbranson is a Defensive Dman but whatever) that would be on the coach to make that decision. This is what I mean, you're just blaming Benning for everything. Benning gets players, Green chooses which ones he plays.

So let's say we don't have Gudbranson Or Sutter now since they're garbage (and I agree) who takes their spots? What do we do with the 8 million in cap we just got back? We don't sign Beagle and Rousell either, so now we have 15 million in cap and 4 rosters spots.

What do we do? Who wants to come to Vancouver? Let's plug the kids into all 4 holes So Lind/Gadvoich/Hughes/Palmu?

Okay we still lose like 40-50 games. Wonder what that does to the confidence of all of our prospects at once.. hmm dunno, since we live in a vacuum and haven't seen prospects get ruined by playing them too early or anything

I want to replace them with players who are actually good and would have some sort of trade value based on their contract not being too long or expensive. Did you miss out on the Vanek signing? That was easily the best signing Benning has made in terms of value, as well as talent. Also, it’s on Benning to bring in good players for Green to play. We had to play Gudbranson and Del Zotto because those were the guys Jim acquired to play in those roles. Jim didn’t sign anyone better than them. The coach can’t conjure up better players out of nowhere. Once again, I don’t see why we weren’t players in the Mason/Armia transaction.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
We literally have 19 forwards ahead of those guys now, 20 if the rumoured Archibald contract comes through :laugh:

Perfect, who are the 19 forwards?

Are you including kids? or actual guys with NHL experience under contract?

Horvat
Baertschi
Boeser
Erikkson
Sutter
Gagner
Grandlund
Gaudette
Leipsic
Virtanen(RFA)

and now i don't have anyone else

so 10 players with 1 being RFA.. sure I guess 19 is close to 10

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
I want to replace them with players who are actually good and would have some sort of trade value based on their contract not being too long or expensive. Did you miss out on the Vanek signing? That was easily the best signing Benning has made in terms of value, as well as talent. Also, it’s on Benning to bring in good players for Green to play. We had to play Gudbranson and Del Zotto because those were the guys Jim acquired to play in those roles. Jim didn’t sign anyone better than them. The coach can’t conjure up better players out of nowhere. Once again, I don’t see why we weren’t players in the Mason/Armia transaction.

Right and eventho Vanek said he'd love to come back at the end of the day he went to Detriot. I don't know why we weren't players in the Mason/Armia trasaction. I agree we should have been players there. But it takes 2 people to make a deal. If Benning wants to do it but the other guy doesn't. it's not gonna get done. Or Benning overpays to get it done and people bitch at him again.

Just because we as fans want something for something, does not make it reality. That's something that I don't understand why people don't get. Just because you wanted shorter term doesn't mean that it would have happened.

Let's say Benning walks away from this deal today. There would be different people bitching that he didn't do anything to help the team and shelter the kids.

Literally he can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

Take the transactions with an open minded and actually calculate if it f***s over the team as much as you think it does.. it really doesn't.. 3x4 isn't bad.. it's certainty better than 6x6 or 7x11

Good on Toronto for getting Taveres.. but when it's Matthew's turn to get paid, they're gonna be spending close to 25 million on 2 centres for the foreseeable future

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Any other shmuck?

Name said Schmuck.

Because I don't hear any other names linked to Vancouver.. and if it's any other Schmuck, fans wouldn't have cried for benning to do something when Chaput was on the team...

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Bad deals how? they insulate the kids. I would rather see Rousell and Beagle over gagner and Motte. You have no clue how hockey is played. HF Canuck fans are 90% trolls And you do understand that in a year 2 3 if JB has better options guys like them can always be traded. D0esn't matter the return because they are free. Or they can be bought out with basically no cap hit
So lets recap. WEEe got tougher. We have 2 of the best faceoff men in hockey. This allows BOHO and Gawd to have easy ozone starts, and we can say by to motte and Archibald. I love how it says fire Benning. The guy makes all the right moves. is a drafting God. You and the rest of HF who hatew him. Are just to stupid to see how good he is
All I can say is.... wow.

The self awareness is lacking.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

I think we can sign them but it'd be more beneficial to have more cap space when doing so.

I doubt Pettersson and Hughes will sign for 1.5 Million. If they produce in the 3 years of their ELCs they will get paid no questions asked. It's ridiculous to think that we will bridge them at 1.5 Million. Not to mention the bonuses they probably will hit. Meaning they will be taking a paycut if they signed that 1.5 deal.

Reactions: THE Green Man

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Perfect, who are the 19 forwards?

Are you including kids? or actual guys with NHL experience under contract?

Horvat
Baertschi
Boeser
Erikkson
Sutter
Gagner
Grandlund
Gaudette
Leipsic
Virtanen(RFA)

and now i don't have anyone else

so 10 players with 1 being RFA.. sure I guess 19 is close to 10

You brought up D+1 guys Lind, Gadvoich, and Palmu suggesting they'd be the guys in the lineup if we didn't go out and add 3 more UFA vets. Just going by what we already had in the system and without today's additions the depth chart before you even started talking about those guys would be:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Gaudette-Pettersson
Goldobin-Granlund-Virtanen
Gaunce-Sutter-Archibald
Leipsic-Gagner-Motte
Boucher-Kero-Dahlen

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Name said Schmuck.

Because I don't hear any other names linked to Vancouver.. and if it's any other Schmuck, fans wouldn't have cried for benning to do something when Chaput was on the team...
No need to name any...they are everywhere. And sure no other names are linked to Vancouver, because Dim Jim TARGETED these two.

If you can't see that it's dumb to overpay a 4th liner in AMOUNT AND TERM, then that's on you.

Not going back and forth on this. Enjoy your grits.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
You brought up D+1 guys Lind, Gadvoich, and Palmu suggesting they'd be the guys in the lineup if we didn't go out and add 3 more UFA vets. Just going by what we already had in the system and without today's additions the depth chart before you even started talking about those guys would be:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Gaudette-Pettersson
Goldobin-Granlund-Virtanen
Gaunce-Sutter-Archibald
Leipsic-Gagner-Motte
Boucher-Kero-Dahlen

Virtanen needs to be resigned as does Archibald

So you're saying that Motte Leipsic Boucher Kero are better than Rousel and Beagle?

you said that there were 19 guys ahead of the signings on the depth chart..

But sure let's say we ice that lineup. so we just have 26 million in cap floating around we lose 60 games and fans are like why the f*** isn't Benning spending money to get this team some help. And again, different people bitch about him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad