Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Antoine Roussel signs with the Canucks (4 years, $3M AAV)

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Sometimes you see signings (or trades) and think what on earth is that guy doing? This is that kind of move.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes you see signings (or trades) and think what on earth is that guy doing? This is that kind of move.
Sportsnet listing the Canucks as one of the 'losers' on the first day of free agency for the same reason. You don't offer 'term' to bottom of the roster players even if as Jimbo claims 'that's the market for these players". The market is 'wrong' when you're a team like the Canucks.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What if Beagle breaks out a la cheechoo and scores 50 next year because who knows.. is it a bad deal then? You just don't know either way.

What if the Vancouver Canucks get relocated mid season to Houston and the city of Vancouver is so ashamed it renames itself to Nobody City? Who knows. You just don't know either way.

Reactions: Seatoo

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
All Benning is doing is creating a safe work environment for the kids while letting the ones that still need to develop do that in Utica. Playing Gaudette in a fourth line roll does nothing for us or him in the future.
These kids need ice time and not fed to the wolves where confidence can play a major roll with a young player for the rest of their careers.
We signed three fourth line players today guys, chill out lol. I’m sure Gudbranson is doing cartwheels right now as he finally has some backup when things get rough out there.
I hope not, that's another 2 month injury waiting to happen.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I like Roussell lookjng fwd to Dorsets replacement :)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
When and if that happens then sure we can look back at this and say it's a bad deal. You're anticipating something that hasn't and might not happen. Luongo's penalty is like 800k man.. against an 80 million cap that's 1%.. like come on..

What if Beagle breaks out a la cheechoo and scores 50 next year because who knows.. is it a bad deal then? You just don't know either way. Will he score 50 goals? probably not.. will we lose a star because of him.. again, probably not, since the cap will raise by the time that's a factor and who knows what else happens now and then

Cheechoo doubled his goal total from the prior season after his team acquired the NHL’s best playmaker.

A comparable situation for Beagle would be if Vancouver acquired Connor McDavid and then Beagle scored 14 goals.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Beagle and Roussel are being brought in at a premium because they are excellent in their roles. Bottom-sixers fed from the farm system will be mediocre at their roles. Do you want more Chaput or some more Megna? Some more Dowd maybe? Pettersson shouldn't be taking defensive faceoffs, Gaudette shouldn't be getting into scraps, Horvat shouldn't need to kill penalties. These players are getting paid peanuts at $3m. That's bottom-6 pay anywhere in the NHL unless you are a team paying your top 2-3 players >$10m, which the Canucks won't be doing until these contracts are up. If the term is too long just bury the players because the money means nothing when the team isn't anywhere close to the cap. The Canucks have the best prospect pool in the league and have a ton of depth at forward. I'd have been way more concerned with a signing that would eat up offensive minutes and powerplay minutes. Roussel and Beagle and Schaller will be eating up the garbage minutes that you don't want your prospects out for.

So much sensationalism. So many people are worried about the Aquilini's chequebooks - you'd think the owner was Melnyk!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Beagle and Roussel are being brought in at a premium because they are excellent in their roles. Bottom-sixers fed from the farm system will be mediocre at their roles. Do you want more Chaput or some more Megna? Some more Dowd maybe? Pettersson shouldn't be taking defensive faceoffs, Gaudette shouldn't be getting into scraps, Horvat shouldn't need to kill penalties. These players are getting paid peanuts at $3m. That's bottom-6 pay anywhere in the NHL unless you are a team paying your top 2-3 players >$10m, which the Canucks won't be doing until these contracts are up. If the term is too long just bury the players because the money means nothing when the team isn't anywhere close to the cap. The Canucks have the best prospect pool in the league and have a ton of depth at forward. I'd have been way more concerned with a signing that would eat up offensive minutes and powerplay minutes. Roussel and Beagle and Schaller will be eating up the garbage minutes that you don't want your prospects out for.

So much sensationalism. So many people are worried about the Aquilini's chequebooks - you'd think the owner was Melnyk!

Wow! It’s like you read my posts and agreed!
Tough crowd out here

Feb 19, 2018

Might make our future fourth line guys strive for better. Third, second or even first line guys?
Worked for Burrows

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Can anyone explain why Vancouver is putting their spare cap towards bottom 6 forwards vs actual good players?

The canucks are going to be a bad team this year, there would be no point in overpaying for good players just to finish 22nd instead of 29th in the league. Then again there was no point in giving long term contracts to bottom six players that are just going to get in the way of our prospects for the next 4 years. :help:

Reactions: The Extrapolater

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Good post. The problem I see isn't the Roussel/Beagle/Schaller contracts, but rather the Gagner/Eriksson and to an extent, Sutter contracts. The former aren't going to be taking ice-time away from any significant young players, worst case is we lose a guy such as Gaunce, but he's never going to be more than a 4th line grinder anyway. But the latter, those contracts could see the Canucks lose a player such as Goldobin or Leipsic on waivers, or delay the careers of Gaudette, Dahlen etc. I really think that Gagner will and should be the odd-man out in Vancouver if Gaudette proves he's NHL ready, but I'll be surprised if management swallows their pride and waives him to Utica.

I'm fully expecting to see Gaudette relegated to the AHL regardless of how he plays and one of Goldobin/Leipsic, if not both, waived come September. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Ohhhhhh yesssss!!

I have no idea what these guys are doing. Well. I know. They’re tanking to get a chance at the one pick. By the time the big guns need contracts after ELCs these jabrones will be long gone.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ohhhhhh yesssss!!

I have no idea what these guys are doing. Well. I know. They’re tanking to get a chance at the one pick. By the time the big guns need contracts after ELCs these jabrones will be long gone.
You just not sign them and they'd be gone faster. While they were never here turn their cap space into 2nds, 3rds and 4ths.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Oof.

Just what exactly is Jim Benning's vision? Where does he see this team going?

I'm still asking that myself, but he's stated something along the lines of wanting to 'insulate' the young players with veterans in order to create a 'winning culture' that the youth can inherit and 'learn to play the right way' from the older guys.

But then the next day he's talking about being able to make spots for young players that deserve it, yet signs 3 more veterans that will have to be in the lineup making the money they're making, so....

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm still asking that myself, but he's stated something along the lines of wanting to 'insulate' the young players with veterans in order to create a 'winning culture' that the youth can inherit and 'learn to play the right way' from the older guys.

But then the next day he's talking about being able to make spots for young players that deserve it, yet signs 3 more veterans that will have to be in the lineup making the money they're making, so....
The first part I get completely. You need vets no matter what the situation. But in the second part, like you said, he's not even going to give the kids a chance. This signing along with Beagle are baffling. This is some John Ferguson Jr. type of managing. Keep plugging in those vets and aim for 8th in the conference. Dim doesn't have a clue. Canucks fans deserve better.

Reactions: clunk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You just not sign them and they'd be gone faster. While they were never here turn their cap space into 2nds, 3rds and 4ths.

You need people to play. I don’t think these are the guys, just. I think more or less Benning overpaid to get guys into a Canucks jersey. At this stage of the rebuild, guys aren’t lining up. Remember, TO overpaid for Matt Martin when they started their rebuild.

I know I’d personally would have liked Vancouver picking up a guy like Bozak; because he’s a legit NHLer that you could play some youth with. And he’s be flipable for a better return than these two.

This is just the sign that they won’t be competitive at all this next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->