Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Antoine Roussel signs with the Canucks (4 years, $3M AAV)

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
What if Beagle breaks out a la cheechoo and scores 50 next
What if Beagle breaks out a la cheechoo and scores 50 next year because who knows.. is it a bad deal then? You just don't know either way.

What if an asteroid the size of the moon hit the Earth tomorrow? Are we all dead? You just don't know either way.

Pro tip for Benning: Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

He's reaching Garth Snow/Marc Bergevin levels of incompetence now.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think people are complaining now, but Roussel will end up being a favourite in Vancouver

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
As a Stars fan who lives halfway across the country, I'm only able to have a handful of chances to attend practices and get things signed. Roussel is the guy that always stops to talk to fans, sign autographs, take pictures, etc. One time the team was in some sort of meeting for at least an hour after practice and almost every player bailed through the private exit because they were ready to get home. Roussel didn't. He still made sure he talked to every single fan that was lined up with a positive attitude.

I truly wish Roussel the best in Vancouver. And I'm grateful for his time with the Stars and the respect he showed for the fans every day.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I think people are complaining now, but Roussel will end up being a favourite in Vancouver

I don’t mind the Roussel deal that much, the Beagle deal was bad though. It’s more just in the context of Jim Benning’s overall transactions that these deals look especially bad. Roussel seems like Burrows lite and Burrows was one of my favourites.

Feb 19, 2018
All Benning is doing is creating a safe work environment for the kids while letting the ones that still need to develop do that in Utica. Playing Gaudette in a fourth line roll does nothing for us or him in the future.
These kids need ice time and not fed to the wolves where confidence can play a major roll with a young player for the rest of their careers.
We signed three fourth line players today guys, chill out lol. I’m sure Gudbranson is doing cartwheels right now as he finally has some backup when things get rough out there.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
All Benning is doing is creating a safe work environment for the kids while letting the ones that still need to develop do that in Utica. Playing Gaudette in a fourth line roll does nothing for us or him in the future.
These kids need ice time and not fed to the wolves where confidence can play a major roll with a young player for the rest of their careers.
We signed three fourth line players today guys, chill out lol. I’m sure Gudbranson is doing cartwheels right now as he finally has some backup when things get rough out there.

This is correct. The Canucks want to give the young guys the top 9 and offensive minutes so they needed the best 4th liners they could buy and these happened to be them.

Nothing surprising other than an extra year longer than they probably should be.

Reactions: Fedz

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not that bad of a contract. prolly like 1 year too many. I'd rather overpay a couple of players for 1 extra year than watch the Canucks ice a line of Archibald Chaput Megna for another season. We are not contending for a playoff spot but we still have to be a competent and competitive team.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I don’t mind the Roussel deal that much, the Beagle deal was bad though. It’s more just in the context of Jim Benning’s overall transactions that these deals look especially bad. Roussel seems like Burrows lite and Burrows was one of my favourites.
So far I see Roussel as a poor man's Burrows and Beagle as fairly comparable to Malhotra. If both end up contributing similarly, I trust the young players on this team will have room to perform.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
None of the players you signed bring much for intimidation though

Feb 19, 2018
None of the players you signed bring much for intimidation though

sticking up for teammates while holding other teams accountable for their actions is good enough with the lineup we would have dressed minus these signings today.
If these guys all chip in 12-15 goals each and keep other teams honest they will bring a whole bunch to the team.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
sticking up for teammates while holding other teams accountable for their actions is good enough with the lineup we would have dressed minus these signings today.
If these guys all chip in 12-15 goals each and keep other teams honest they will bring a whole bunch to the team.
That's not a safe environment. Roussel, himself, is great at running around and increasing the temperature not lowering it.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Can anyone explain why Vancouver is putting their spare cap towards bottom 6 forwards vs actual good players?

I have two big reasons that are a little underrated.
1) Canucks had very little pushback last year. Boeser gets injured and nothing happened. Horvat leaves the game and nothing. We really missed Dorsett and Gudbranson had to lay low I guess after that threat he made on Martin after the hit on Stecher. Now with guys like Gaudette, Goldobin, Pettersson, Dahlen coming in we need some guys to hold people accountable whisky still able to play the game. Roussel is a 3rd liner, Beagle was signed to be a 3rd liner. Schaller is a 4th liner but with a different role.

2) Our bottom six had a lot of rather small and injury prone guys. Gaunce, Chaput, Megna, Dowd, Archibald, Sutter, Granlhnd. Mostly guys with an injury history. I guess the hope is to sign guys with no injury history and big bodies that will last the season. Our AHL Team went through like 60 guys.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
He's been this bad all along... Other teams' fans just didn't want to listen to us.

Oh I know he's bad. It's just that Bergevin and Snow are/were Milbury-level bad. Chiarelli and Benning are heading in that direction.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
I have two big reasons that are a little underrated.
1) Canucks had very little pushback last year. Boeser gets injured and nothing happened. Horvat leaves the game and nothing. We really missed Dorsett and Gudbranson had to lay low I guess after that threat he made on Martin after the hit on Stecher. Now with guys like Gaudette, Goldobin, Pettersson, Dahlen coming in we need some guys to hold people accountable whisky still able to play the game. Roussel is a 3rd liner, Beagle was signed to be a 3rd liner. Schaller is a 4th liner but with a different role.

2) Our bottom six had a lot of rather small and injury prone guys. Gaunce, Chaput, Megna, Dowd, Archibald, Sutter, Granlhnd. Mostly guys with an injury history. I guess the hope is to sign guys with no injury history and big bodies that will last the season. Our AHL Team went through like 60 guys.

Adding grit makes sense. The cap hit and term doesn't. Could have just got Ryan Reeves if needing protection of soft players and rookies. Or Lucic with $7 million retained by Oilers :sarcasm:.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The obvious anamosity is obvious in this pathetic forum. Benning has made some questionable moves, but he is far from a bottom 5 gm. These are great signings.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
1.5 million is generous. They have no choice as a RFA.. either they sign or they sit. And if they sit it doesn't work out well for them. Qualifying offers are capped at 1 year deals with a set amount. I believe it's 105% of their ELC so ELC at 900k they get a qualifying offer of 945k

Or they sit and if they sit till Dec 1 then they sit for the whole year and they're STILL an RFA and the process repeats itself. So it's financially beneficial to eat the one year of qualifying offer and then get paid huge when the contracts come off the books. NHL players have horrible negotiation rights until they are UFA

If the Canucks for whatever reason don't offer a qualifying offer, then they become UFA immediately and can sign with whoever. Pouliot had this option but chose to come back to Vancouver for a little more than what his qualifying offer would be.
You're delusional if you think they're going to sign a qualifying offer for a year after 3 strong years of ELC

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Adding grit makes sense. The cap hit and term doesn't. Could have just got Ryan Reeves if needing protection of soft players and rookies. Or Lucic with $7 million retained by Oilers :sarcasm:.

Ryan Reeves wasn't going to sign with us. We inquired apparently and he quickly said no.

I'd rather our four free agents for 8million than Lucic for 7 :D

We overpaid, but I'm actually happy with the signings. I like my bottom six to be gritty and heavy. We got that addressed. The term is long the money is fine. But I still don't think it matters. We can bury each and everyone of these guys in the AHL if worst comes to worst.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Ryan Reeves wasn't going to sign with us. We inquired apparently and he quickly said no.

We overpaid, but I'm actually happy with the signings. I like my bottom six to be gritty and heavy. We got that addressed. The term is long the money is fine. But I still don't think it matters. We can bury each and everyone of these guys in the AHL if worst comes to worst.

I didn't know that Reeves had rejected the Canucks. Probably found out that uncontrolled buyers from China have driven housing prices into the stratosphere! (East Van 3 BR fixer upper for "only" $2,000,000? Time to stop housing purchases by ALL foreign buyers.)

The deal I suggested for Lucic was for $7 million *retained by the Soilers* - Canucks would earn $1 million/year just to house and feed Looch!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

You never over pay the bottom six. It’s a recipe for disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad