Injury Report: Valimaki Torn ACL, Requires Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
A 3 month recovery for a torn ACL doesn't happen unless you're using prohibited substances. 6 months is probably the least conservative estimate, realistically. Got to feel for Valimaki, this really sucks but from what he's shown so far, he appears to be very strong mentally so that should aid him during his journey back
I wonder if the Flames use Stem Cell Therapy at all. He'd heal like Wolverine... You know, if he was real. Wolverine, not Valimaki... was real.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Time to sign Dion.
Think he'd take a two-way deal at league minimum?

A 3 month recovery for a torn ACL doesn't happen unless you're using prohibited substances. 6 months is probably the least conservative estimate, realistically. Got to feel for Valimaki, this really sucks but from what he's shown so far, he appears to be very strong mentally so that should aid him during his journey back
It really depends on the extent of the tear (I believe they "grade them" in some morbid fashion) but yes it does sound like somewhere between Christmas and 2020-21 training camp

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Man this not what we/he needed. I think that this might not destroy his development since he was well ahead of his expectations, he just might be closer to Andersson's/Kylington's development path of making the NHL at around 22 instead of 20

I am absolutely confounded at the idea the Flames would trade for d-man when like, either we're throwing away another pick for a 7th d-man when we have signed, or throwing away a pick for someone to block Kylington. It just doesn't make sense we're looking for someone new at the moment.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Injuries plus added competition. Something between the level of Kylington and the next guy. As right now, they're one injury away from having one of Davidson/Yelesin/Valiev being an everyday player and that's concerning. And there will be injuries; I think at one point last season they had all of Stone, Hamonic and Valimaki out for a brief period.

Instead of trading Frolik for a mid round pick (which is probably not happening at this point anyway), move him for a cheap sixth or seventh guy plus maybe a late round pick. Would clear enough to salary to sign Tkachuk and Mangiapane while adding the depth they want. They're probably looking for another Prout; someone who can enjoy the pressbox for long stretches but also step in when injuries strike without being an embarrassment.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Injuries plus added competition. Something between the level of Kylington and the next guy. As right now, they're one injury away from having one of Davidson/Yelesin/Valiev being an everyday player and that's concerning. And there will be injuries; I think at one point last season they had all of Stone, Hamonic and Valimaki out for a brief period.

Instead of trading Frolik for a mid round pick (which is probably not happening at this point anyway), move him for a cheap sixth or seventh guy plus maybe a late round pick. Would clear enough to salary to sign Tkachuk and Mangiapane while adding the depth they want. They're probably looking for another Prout; someone who can enjoy the pressbox for long stretches but also step in when injuries strike without being an embarrassment.

Frolik for Hagg. Done deal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I accidentally posted this in the armchair GM thread, but it is relevant in both threads

This injury will actually cost us cap space.

Valimaki will be eligible for SOIR (season opening IR), but only at a discounted cap hit.
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
What is the season opening injured reserve (SOIR)?

counted Cap Hit
Players on a two-way contract, who accrued 1-49 NHL games in the previous season, count against the teams cap hit; however, the reduced cap hit is calculated as follows:
Multiply the players NHL cap hit by the total accrued NHL days in the previous season, and divide by the total number of days in the previous season (Ex: 186 for 2014-15)

When a player is reactivated to the active roster, their cap hit reverts back to the full rate
With playing 24 games, and being scratched for others, Valimaki will cost us about 25-35% of his AAV towards the cap, which is in the range of about 225k-315k (rounded for simplicity)

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I accidentally posted this in the armchair GM thread, but it is relevant in both threads

This injury will actually cost us cap space.

Valimaki will be eligible for SOIR (season opening IR), but only at a discounted cap hit.
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

With playing 24 games, and being scratched for others, Valimaki will cost us about 25-35% of his AAV towards the cap, which is in the range of about 225k-315k (rounded for simplicity)

That's kind of a stupid rule. I guess when you have guys like Weber on the IR it makes sense.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
That's kind of a stupid rule. I guess when you have guys like Weber on the IR it makes sense.
Yeah, there should probably be an exception like "If sending this player to the AHL would save you more money, use that number instead" type thing (so if their cap hit is basically like 1.1 mil or less, you save the whole thing).

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Flyer fans hate this kid mightily.

He is not very good. The cap savings would be nice though and if he only plays 20-30 games on the third pair it wouldn’t be fatal. Philly probably adds a late pick

People just like him because he hits everything that moves

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
EachAggressiveHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif

Not supposed to post pictures of Posters here Hox, not matter how studly they are :P

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Flyer fans hate this kid mightily.

He's an absolute possession anchor and indeed not a very good hockey player - he does at the very least block a ton of shots, and throw his body around. Wouldn't be the worst #7 to have on this team where he can get some sheltered minutes.

By the numbers Hagg has the fifth most hits in the NHL over the past two seasons (496) so I am sure Treliving would have an interest. For those curious, Lucic ranks 2nd during that time frame (513).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's an absolute possession anchor and indeed not a very good hockey player - he does at the very least block a ton of shots, and throw his body around. Wouldn't be the worst #7 to have on this team where he can get some sheltered minutes.

By the numbers Hagg has the fifth most hits in the NHL over the past two seasons (496) so I am sure Treliving would have an interest. For those curious, Lucic ranks 2nd during that time frame (513).

I will just address your post. But my thinking is Hagg is young and still developing. He is a cost controlled asset, sure he is not perfect but he adds size and toughness, something we are lacking and as you said, he would make a decent #7. Adding Hagg and Looch in one offseason, would give us a very different look for next season.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I will just address your post. But my thinking is Hagg is young and still developing. He is a cost controlled asset, sure he is not perfect but he adds size and toughness, something we are lacking and as you said, he would make a decent #7. Adding Hagg and Looch in one offseason, would give us a very different look for next season.
I'd do Hagg for Frolik, but what do I know

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not just this, but Hagg played something like 60% of his ES ice-time with Gudas, MacDonald, Provarov and Folin, while getting under 43% offensive zone starts. The only of them being a positive possession player being Gudas, who spent a good chunk of time with Ghost and Sanheim, Philly's only two good possession defensemen.

Honestly, I think Hagg paired with someone like Brodie on a regular basis would see him look infinitely better.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not just this, but Hagg played something like 60% of his ES ice-time with Gudas, MacDonald, Provarov and Folin, while getting under 43% offensive zone starts. The only of them being a positive possession player being Gudas, who spent a good chunk of time with Ghost and Sanheim, Philly's only two good possession defensemen.

Honestly, I think Hagg paired with someone like Brodie on a regular basis would see him look infinitely better.

Let’s make this happen!!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, there should probably be an exception like "If sending this player to the AHL would save you more money, use that number instead" type thing (so if their cap hit is basically like 1.1 mil or less, you save the whole thing).

What might happen is they may leave him on the opening day roster and paper someone to the AHL and then place him on LTIR, since we will be right to the cap.

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
Bummer. Was looking forward to watching Valimaki this season as well.

Hopefully with a pro-active medical staff the team can get him back on the shorter end of the recovery timeline.

I've torn my ACL twice now. First time 15 yrs ago the surgeon (Canucks team surgeon, ha!) pretty much gave me the go ahead for full activity as soon as swelling went down and range of motion returned. He wasn't concerned at all about re-injury. I tore it again last spring and a friend recommended a doc who turned out to be former a Kings and Chargers team doc. He told me things have changed and they are more conservative now, realizing it can take longer than previously thought for a graft to fully heal. I was not cleared for full activity without a knee brace for six months. Interestingly they had me in rehab much sooner. Surgery was on a Thursday, and I had first PT appointment on Monday. First go round I didn't even have a follow up with the surgeon for 10 or 12 days, then booked PT starting a week later. I have no doubt the Flames medical staff will be all over his rehab, so he should be plenty strong when he returns. The question mark would be when they feel the graft is fully healed. That can be independent of PT, though strengthening the leg muscles can help stabilize the knee. The type of graft (hamstring, patellar tendon, cadaver) can also affect healing time.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad