Injury Report: Valimaki Torn ACL, Requires Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I was so pumped for Valimaki playing the full season. Hopefully he doesn't get too hurt on his development

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I was so pumped for Valimaki playing the full season. Hopefully he doesn't get too hurt on his development
Yes,I'm it sucks for him. He's the one going through the pain and having to fight through it each step. But man-oh-man, I was hoping for big strides from him this upcoming season, and better health. Then this happens. Sour face hash-tagpoopy-pants emojis and all! Big bummer for all!
Wish him the best in recovery and that he gets back to 100%and remains stable then, whenever he is ready!Bring on O. K.! STEP RIGHT UP.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No, not yet. They need the swelling to go down.

While it was announced nearly three weeks ago that Flames defenseman Juuso Valimaki tore his ACL in offseason training and needed surgery, Postmedia’s Kristen Anderson notes that the procedure has yet to happen. Instead, it appears as if it’s still a few weeks away from happening. Considering the swelling that can often accompany this type of injury, the delay is certainly understandable but at the same time, knowing the recovery period is usually at least six months, it’s increasing the likelihood that the 20-year-old will miss the entire season. Calgary has brought Andrew MacDonald in on a PTO for camp but it wouldn’t be surprising if they look to make another move to bring in a replacement.

From August 29th

Edit:

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Anderson's sources can't inform her when Vali had surgery, how can we trust her on her claim that Peters want's Lindholm at center?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Anderson's sources can't inform her when Vali had surgery, how can we trust her on her claim that Peters want's Lindholm at center?

FWIW, Treliving did say today that Bill has discussed this. But they also like him on the topline RW. We are likely to see a little more of Lindholm and Bennett being played all over in the lineup.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would just let him take the entire year off. No reason to rush him from an injury like this.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Valimaki in crutches to start 2019-20 season as he recovers from knee surgery

Valimaki still gets choked up when he talks about how it happened, and how he had to break the news to Flames general manager Brad Treliving.

“I couldn’t call him first, I had to call my agent (David Cowan) first because I was crying the whole time when I tried to explain it,” Valimaki explained on Thursday as his teammates underwent physical testing and medical examinations. “I couldn’t call him — somebody else had to do it to actually explain and say how things (were). He called me a couple hours later. He called me a couple days later. He actually called me a lot. That’s something I’m really happy with, how supportive everybody has been and how they’ve handled it.”
That's gut wrenching. Poor kid.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Very telling that he was more scared about disappointing the team than his actual well being. That's a hell of a character attribute.
I never took it as being scared. Just the line about trying to explain it, made me think that perhaps in his state of mind he was struggling with thinking about how to explain it in English.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I never took it as being scared. Just the line about trying to explain it, made me think that perhaps in his state of mind he was struggling with thinking about how to explain it in English.

Maybe both? The article definitely says it was hard for him because he was crying the entire time he was trying to explain it.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Looks like Juuso is cleared to begin skating again. That's good news!
Looks like he could possibly play before the end of the year. That's good news!
If he plays one game, that goes towards his expansion eligibility and he'd have to be protected in the draft. That's bad news.
Juuso probably won't play again this year. That's bad news.
Juuso probably won't have to be protected in the draft. That's great news!

Reactions: Fig

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If Juuso comes back and can play meaningful minutes, it allows (creates?) a situation for Treliving where is can trade from a position of strength (LD) to either acquire a top 6 right shot RW or to acquire a top 4 RD. Should Valimaki play, the Flames should protect 4F, 4D, and 1G in the expansion draft.

Namely:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk (assumes Lucic waives his NMC)
Valimaki, Hanifin, Kylington, Andersson (assumes no trade of LD for an RD)
Ritter

Yes this exposes a shwack of talent, but it protects the young D corp. If Vali doesn't play, insert Brodie. Seattle can only take one player. Do they go for veteran leadership? Speed? Scoring prowess?

My preference is to get him back into the game. Losing an entire season of competitive hockey is hard to come back from.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Let Valimaki play in the AHL for the remainder of the season. I assume if he plays in the AHL for the rest of the regular season he remains ineligible to be drafted in the expansion draft?
Bring him back up for the playoffs. I assume playoff games don't affect his expansion draft ineligibility?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Let Valimaki play the rest of the season in Stockton once he's ready. No need to rush him.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Let Valimaki play in the AHL for the remainder of the season. I assume if he plays in the AHL for the rest of the regular season he remains ineligible to be drafted in the expansion draft?
Bring him back up for the playoffs. I assume playoff games don't affect his expansion draft ineligibility?
AHL qualifies as professional experience, so no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad