Injury Report: Valimaki Torn ACL, Requires Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If you can move out Fro for a cheap 3rd pair guy instead of a mid rounder i think you take that route at this point, unfortunately

Really feel for Valimaki, was excited to see him play this year. Hope he has a full recovery

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Trade board had a suggestion of Hickey & Ho-Sang for Frolik.

Solves a couple issues for us. Well, might not SOLVE our need for a #2RW, but Ho-Sang is someone we've always talked about taking a flyer on, also a right shot RW. If he signs for cheap, we'd save capspace (Hickey is 3 x $2.5m), get a serviceable D man and a chance for Ho-Sang to turn his career around.

Only issue is Hickey has 3 years left. I like the idea from a personnel standpoint, but worry Hickey ends up in a similar situation to Stone and has his value tanked by not getting into games (when Valimaki comes back).

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Only issue is Hickey has 3 years left. I like the idea from a personnel standpoint, but worry Hickey ends up in a similar situation to Stone and has his value tanked by not getting into games (when Valimaki comes back).
Is Hickey good enough to be a top 4 on other teams? If so, he should be movable.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Then maybe we pay Seattle to take Hickey?

Or whoever we acquire.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

A 3 month recovery for a torn ACL doesn't happen unless you're using prohibited substances. 6 months is probably the least conservative estimate, realistically. Got to feel for Valimaki, this really sucks but from what he's shown so far, he appears to be very strong mentally so that should aid him during his journey back

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sucks a lot for him. Hasn’t been able to catch a break the last year. Hopefully this gives Kylington a chance to prove he deserves to stay in the NHL.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This unfortunate injury should be Kylington's spot to lose and of course the Flames have to try and bring someone else (worse) in instead of letting Ollie in.

This injury is brutal for Vali though, thought he'd prove himself to be a top 4 d-man this year and now he is most likely missing the entire year. Has now injured his ankle and knee before he is 20. Get him on some of that John Cena heal juice.

But the Flames don't need to look outside the organization, we already have Ollie and a bunch of other #7 guys who can fill in.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Exactly. I'd rather move Fro for Ho-Sang and a 5th and then sign someone like Sbisa at <$1m to be the #7, as he wouldn't need to handle the puck much when in the lineup and would add a bit of a physical presence.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Exactly. I'd rather move Fro for Ho-Sang and a 5th and then sign someone like Sbisa at <$1m to be the #7, as he wouldn't need to handle the puck much when in the lineup and would add a bit of a physical presence.

tenor.gif

You had me until Sbisa. Of all the UFA D, is he really the best option? I get he had some success in Vegas but I dunno about signing him..

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What's with the fascination for adding Ho Sang.

He is a purely offensive player that has provided mediocre to below average results at the AHL level. In addition to that he comes with a handful of red flags in terms of his commitment and character. I'd sooner give Dube, Czarnik, Phillips or even Gawdin the opportunity to play in the top nine over him.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What's with the fascination for adding Ho Sang.

He is a purely offensive player that has provided mediocre to below average results at the AHL level. In addition to that he comes with a handful of red flags in terms of his commitment and character. I'd sooner give Dube, Czarnik, Phillips or even Gawdin the opportunity to play in the top nine over him.
Low risk, high reward? :dunno:

IF we could trade Frolik for him 1-for-1, it'd save us like $3.5m in cap space. If he works out, great, if not, oh well we signed Tkachuk.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
tenor.gif

You had me until Sbisa. Of all the UFA D, is he really the best option? I get he had some success in Vegas but I dunno about signing him..

I think the idea is to aim for someone willing to munch popcorn at league minimum who could do reasonably ok as a 5/6 if needed. Sbisa could be one but I would assume he wants a 1 way deal. I'd consider Bartkowski on a 2 way deal though.

EDIT: Wait, when did we sign Davidson? Perfect!

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Low risk, high reward? :dunno:

IF we could trade Frolik for him 1-for-1, it'd save us like $3.5m in cap space. If he works out, great, if not, oh well we signed Tkachuk.

Where is the high reward? I don't see it.

0.70 pts/g player in the AHL with 26 goals in 156 games, soft, defensive liability, character issues. Not somebody I would target for my organization.

The cap space is attractive, but couldn't a more useful asset be targeted? Frolik helps this team considerably. As a last resort option I could see it - I personally wouldn't like it though.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

0.70 pts/g player in the AHL with 26 goals in 156 games, soft, defensive liability, character issues. Not somebody I would target for my organization.

The cap space is attractive, but couldn't a more useful asset be targeted? Frolik helps this team considerably. As a last resort option I could see it - I personally wouldn't like it though.
He might do well with a change of scenery. Nobody else is going to trade Frolik to us for a higher quality prospect, so someone with lots of skill but has "character issues" might be all we could get.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Treliving has really backed himself into a corner salary cap wise and asset wise. IF Andersson has a big year he's looking at 4 Mil+ and then there's Hamonic and Brodie going into UFA. At most he can only re-sign one of the UFAs and being that we are looking at being a conference contender one will walk for nothing next offseason. If it's Hamonic we will have used a ton of asset capital for not much if we don't do something in the playoffs in 2020. But we cannot trade Brodie or Hamonic this offseason due to being a contender. So going into 20-21 your looking at a 37 year old Giordano, rusty Valimaki and Hanifin/Andersson/Kylington. Still a solid group but not much depth. Add an overpay for Brodie or Hamonic into that group. But maybe both walk for nothing which again is a ton of asset capital out the door.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving has really backed himself into a corner salary cap wise and asset wise. IF Andersson has a big year he's looking at 4 Mil+ and then there's Hamonic and Brodie going into UFA. At most he can only re-sign one of the UFAs and being that we are looking at being a conference contender one will walk for nothing next offseason. If it's Hamonic we will have used a ton of asset capital for not much if we don't do something in the playoffs in 2020. But we cannot trade Brodie or Hamonic this offseason due to being a contender. So going into 20-21 your looking at a 37 year old Giordano, rusty Valimaki and Hanifin/Andersson/Kylington. Still a solid group but not much depth. Add an overpay for Brodie or Hamonic into that group. But maybe both walk for nothing which again is a ton of asset capital out the door.

How is he backed into a corner? It's not ideal, but it's still miles ahead of what many other clubs have. Many would love to have our issues. It is with a bit of uncertainty right now, but it's not hopeless. It's just uncomfortable.

Sure, after the following guys:
Gio/Brodie/Hamonic/Hanifin/Andersson/Kylington (This is all top tier talent)
---
Valimaki

There's a huge drop in talent to:
Brandon Davidson/Valiev/Yeselin

But consider we've funneled essentially nothing (including late picks) and within the last calendar ish year shipped out:
Fox/Fantenberg/Prout/Stone

That is hilariously not bad. We can complain of no depth, but we literally lost all the depth this and last off season. The Valimaki thing is just pure unfortunate and not something we can truly plan for.

We do need to draft way more dmen in the next draft though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I would be totally cool with Dal Colle as well. I have no idea of his value to the Isles though.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would be totally cool with Dal Colle as well. I have no idea of his value to the Isles though.

I think they're more likely to let go of MDC than Ho Sang. I'd also prefer MDC than Ho Sang due to perceived character issues.

I think value wise, MDC should be around a Fantenberg?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think they're more likely to let go of MDC than Ho Sang. I'd also prefer MDC than Ho Sang due to perceived character issues.

I think value wise, MDC should be around a Fantenberg?

Like I don’t know if Dal Colle is much more than a 3rd liner, but he’s worth a shot IMO and we need the cap space.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
tenor.gif

I suggested him because he would be cheap and likely accept a #7 role. Other guys will cost more and want more playing time.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
A 3 month recovery for a torn ACL doesn't happen unless you're using prohibited substances. 6 months is probably the least conservative estimate, realistically. Got to feel for Valimaki, this really sucks but from what he's shown so far, he appears to be very strong mentally so that should aid him during his journey back

Gotta trade for Nate Schmidt and get the hookup then. Simple solution

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Damn, I'm disappointed in myself.

Any word whether we will sew some mesh into his ACL to speed up recovery? :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad