Injury Report: Valimaki Torn ACL, Requires Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving announced today that during a training session this past weekend, defenceman Juuso Valimaki sustained a torn ACL injury to his right knee which will require surgery. Valimaki will be out indefinitely.
Yeesh, that's what, a 4-6 month recovery time?

Frees up some cap space at least. :sarcasm:

Edit: this is significant enough to be worthy of its own thread.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
That made me really sad, he was one of the few bright spots in the playoffs :(

I’d guess we run the same pairings we did for most of last season now

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Davidson/valiev

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we sign another vet to a cheap deal for more depth but man this really sucks hopefully Vali recovers well

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That made me really sad, he was one of the few bright spots in the playoffs :(

I’d guess we run the same pairings we did for most of last season now

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Davidson/valiev

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we sign another vet to a cheap deal for more depth but man this really sucks hopefully Vali recovers well

Our organizational depth outside the top 6 is scary... and not in a good way. A breeze of injuries makes this dcore AHL caliber.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That's awful. How well do players usually recover from that in the NHL?

A couple of NBA players have never fully recovered from the same injury.

I'd say it can go either way. There are a number of guys who never get that extra step back after an ALC injury though. Lots of guys get on fine with their careers.

Whats worrying is the amount of development Valimaki is going to have missed in his first 2 pro seasons.

Reactions: Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Oh no, I feel so bad for Valimaki. This is awful.

I to am really worried about this. He’s at a critical stage in his development and he needs to be healthy and play.

Anyways, Kylington is on the team now so we will see what he’s got.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Good thing we have reliable veteran Michael Stone to fill in for... oh.

Hell, there were flames fans (not here, but other sites)/ writers advocating to trade Brodie for whatever we could get. Imagine how much worse our situation is in that case.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Really horrible news.
This kid has some huge potential, I hope all these injuries haven't taken him off that path.

Well, this is Oliver's position to lose now. We can also forget about moving on from TJ or Hammer, as we simply won't have enough quality defencemen if we do.

Hoping Juuso heals up nicely and comes back stronger than ever.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeesh, that's what, a 4-6 month recovery time?

Frees up some cap space at least. :sarcasm:

Edit: this is significant enough to be worthy of its own thread.
6-9 months according to google, with the timing of this injury he could potentially miss the entire season

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd say it can go either way. There are a number of guys who never get that extra step back after an ALC injury though. Lots of guys get on fine with their careers.

Whats worrying is the amount of development Valimaki is going to have missed in his first 2 pro seasons.

I hope that because he’s so young that he will fully recover. But he needs to be playing. Sigh.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

The loss of development time is extremely concerning. I am a firm believer that missing his d+1 season is a big reason Bennett has never lived up to his potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad