News: Vadim Shipachyov retires (official 11/9/17)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Right, because being sent down, then told it was a paper move only when you were like what's going on? To being up and barely used is him being entitled. They soured his outlook on the NHL so badly he just wanted to go back home, apparently that's his fault too right?
Yes, it is.

He had been in North America for less than a month. If you can't take being sent down or having to sit in the press box for a handful of games, by all means, go back to Russia. These are your employers. Playing in the National Hockey League is a privilege. And it's not like Shipachev is some otherworldly talent. He didn't make the opening roster.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He took a player away from his newly adapting family so he wouldn't have to waive Griffin Reinhart - then he ended up having to do it anyway, the kid cleared and he lost the actual NHL caliber player.

And Griffin Reinhart still sucks.
No, he did it because he didn’t think he was NHL ready, and there’s been multiple reports he was lazy during practice.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No, he did it because he didn’t think he was NHL ready, and there’s been multiple reports he was lazy during practice.
K. I'm in the camp that doesn't think you should sign a player to a 2 year 9 million deal if that's going to be the case.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I feel like pro scouts that watched him saw some glaring red flags with his game, which made teams shy away from trading for him. If he would have been worth a gamble, I think teams would have traded for him with salary retained. I don't see why Vegas would sooner terminate his contract rather than retain money and trade him. That just tells me no one else wanted him.

With seeing how persistent McPhee was at trying to get value in a trade for his overflow of defensemen instead of waiving them, I really don't see how he would rather have terminated Shipachyov's contract rather than trading him with salary retained.

I really find it hard to believe. I've seen Shipachyov for years in the KHL and he's a brilliant player. He's better than a lot of bottom 6 players in the NHL. As a Caps fan, I'd take him any day on my team over a lot of players. My only explanation is that GMGM and Gallant know something about Ship that we don't know.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This whole situation was a total mess. I wouldn't have come over from Russia to play in the minors, either. I have yet to see a defense of GMGM that I think makes any sense whatsoever.

I also feel like I remember McPhee saying that he, Tuch and Theodore made the roster, but they needed to deal with some roster stuff first. I can't look it up at the momento, so I could be wrong.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Both sides took a risk and it didn't work out. Big deal. That happens.

Good on McPhie for at least trying something a little bit different.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
That was only after further roster moves (Neal from IR), not the season opening roster submitted to the NHL three days earlier when Shipachyov, Theodore and Tuch were sent down.
Did they need a 12th forward three days before their first game?

If not, what's the point? They were shorthanded up front for two off-days? I'll bet that ruined their practices!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It would be quite silly to claim that someone in IR had a better training camp.
You think that you have the best training camp and you win a prize or something?

Roster moves are made for many different reasons, and training camp is one part of that.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If the narrative is that Shipachyov was not good enough to stay up then yes. Obviously that narrative is false to start with.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I am having a hard time reconciling reality with the people who actually believe this is a case of Ship needing AHL seasoning and not being able to cope with it. There's no way, to me, that this is anything other than a player coming over for relatively big money and getting jerked around for mickey mouse reasons. If they didn't think he was an NHL talent they shouldn't have given him the kind of deal a proven NHL player gets. Ship clearly wanted to play in the NHL because if he were just about money he'd have made the same in the AHL. He signed an NHL deal and should have been an NHL player. The whole thing was a side show and handled poorly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I am having a hard time reconciling reality with the people who actually believe this is a case of Ship needing AHL seasoning and not being able to cope with it. There's no way, to me, that this is anything other than a player coming over for relatively big money and getting jerked around for mickey mouse reasons. If they didn't think he was an NHL talent they shouldn't have given him the kind of deal a proven NHL player gets. Ship clearly wanted to play in the NHL because if he were just about money he'd have made the same in the AHL. He signed an NHL deal and should have been an NHL player. The whole thing was a side show and handled poorly.

If he clearly wanted to play in the NHL he could have temporarily gone to the AHL and Vegas would have traded or recalled him.

He chose not to do so.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And this is exactly why his behaviour reeks of entitlement. He signed that contract after coming overseas. The Knights were paying him $9m to play in Vegas, play in Chicago...or not play at all. Regardless of the team's reasoning, if he kept his mouth shut, went where they asked him to go and played well when given the opportunity, there would've been no incident. The team didn't owe him an explanation.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Why did he have to retire over having his contract terminated for whatever grievous thing the player did? Perhaps someone that has been watching this can explain. Did it benefit the player somehow or was he doing VGKs a favour by doing it? Terminating the contract would have let him try elsewhere no?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Bashing GMGM for a player that wasn't will to pay the price to play in the NHL seems like a reach . As a GM you can not let a player dictate what you are doing . It is simply you aren't good enough for the NHL you go to the AHL . Don't want to go there get the f out of here and we won't be helping you do it

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so they tried trading him, obviously no one wanted his contract, so he decided to retire?

did i get that right? what a massive failure by vegas

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad