News: Vadim Shipachyov retires (official 11/9/17)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
GMGM signed the most sought after UFA at the time. The fact it didn't work it is no different than Nashville signing Steve Moses or NYR and Jimmy Vesey.
The issue is the way it was handled, not the signing.

He let the situation get so bad that it forced him into a corner. He could have given himself some options. No one put a gun to his head.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I can't believe not even one team was interested in him. Some of these GMs are buffoons.

It was going to be a tough trade to make. Only a handful of teams could take Shipachyov without retention and/or shipping back a contract to Vegas. San Jose's probably gonna run into a similar dilemma with Mikkel Boedker. There might be teams willing to take him if he were on a cheap deal, but probably not many teams ready to take on that contract.

At this point, Vegas is probably happy enough to cut its losses and not be on the hook for anything after this point.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The issue is the way it was handled, not the signing.

He let the situation get so bad that it forced him into a corner. He could have given himself some options. No one put a gun to his head.

It was a giant flub definitely, but it was not handled well from either side. GMGM waited way too long to waive Reinhart and Garrison. Ship just wasn't patient enough to dominate the AHL for a week while things were being sorted out.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I think I should have been clearer when I was criticizing the GMs of other teams. My criticism wasn't for not getting a trade done, but that they're going to let him go back to Russia. He's pretty much a UFA again.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Who is to say he passes through waivers? Why wouldn't team pick him up for free give him a shot then terminate his contract if it doesn't work out?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would sign him to a 1 year deal at a lower cap hit now. I think its possible to do that

I feel like pro scouts that watched him saw some glaring red flags with his game, which made teams shy away from trading for him. If he would have been worth a gamble, I think teams would have traded for him with salary retained. I don't see why Vegas would sooner terminate his contract rather than retain money and trade him. That just tells me no one else wanted him.

With seeing how persistent McPhee was at trying to get value in a trade for his overflow of defensemen instead of waiving them, I really don't see how he would rather have terminated Shipachyov's contract rather than trading him with salary retained.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Ok, but now he doesn't have a contract? No one is willing to sign him for say 3M/1 year Radulov style?

He very likely will earn more than that from the KHL, will be able to play in the Olympics, and won't have to deal with the threat of being yanked around by a franchise.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I feel like pro scouts that watched him saw some glaring red flags with his game, which made teams shy away from trading for him. If he would have been worth a gamble, I think teams would have traded for him with salary retained. I don't see why Vegas would sooner terminate his contract rather than retain money and trade him. That just tells me no one else wanted him.

Or that they didn't want to pay for him if they figured he would end on waivers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or that they didn't want to pay for him if they figured he would end on waivers.

That doesn't guarantee you get him, though. And I really doubt anyone would claim Shipachyov on waivers if the purpose is contract termination, you never see that happen. He's going back to Russia, he's not just going on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->