News: Vadim Shipachyov retires (official 11/9/17)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
He is a really talented player. He skates, handles the puck, and passes as well or better than most NHL forwards. Whether he just didn't fit in, missed Russia, or regretted his move for a bigger paycheck, who knows? It is ridiculous to say that he isn't good enough for the NHL. He may get a chance to give the World notice of himself by playing in the Olympics, which he couldn't have done in Las Vegas. I am glad he got it straightened out.

Reactions: Jablkon

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So it's unfair to judge a player based on just 30 minutes of ice time when he's bad, but it's totally fair to say he was great based on just 30 minutes of ice time. and a very scewed advanced stats. Got it.

When did we all agreed that +/- was a reliable way to judge a player and not a completely useless stat? Must have missed that memo.

I don't think there's anything useless about the fact that Vegas was 3:0 during the 30 minutes Shipachyov was on the ice. Likewise his relative Corsi for even strength is the best in team (2nd best PP, didn't play PK).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
People tend to forget Shipachev was also judged by his pre-season where by all accounts he was invisible. So basically he had one good game and that's it
He probably didn't realize he was even being judged on his pre-season. Veteran stars do not always stand out when they know they have a job, they are looking ahead to the real season already. But even then, it's a small sample for the magnitude of commitment and effort Vegas went through to sign him. I'd have expected them to give him a whole lot more time to show/adapt than 3 or 10 or even 20 games.

Reactions: Morrison

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
That was a pretty stupid move by Vegas.

You should give the guy at least a season to prove himself, bench him every now and then if necessary, but that's really a headscratcher if you get rid of him three games in.

It's not like they're winning the Cup this year. 90% of this team's roster would be on any other team's 3rd-4th line/3rd d-pairing.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
was he eligible for a NMC on his contract?

Sure he was eligible for one (all players over 27 are eligible; younger than that only become eligible with 7 years NHL experience). He hardly had the clout to demand one though. If that was part of his contract demands he never would have gotten a contract in the first place. Which in hindsight is no worse than where we are today, but at the time he was shopping himself to NHL clubs we have to assume he actually wanted to play in North America.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sure he was eligible for one (all players over 27 are eligible; younger than that only become eligible with 7 years NHL experience). He hardly had the clout to demand one though. If that was part of his contract demands he never would have gotten a contract in the first place. Which in hindsight is no worse than where we are today, but at the time he was shopping himself to NHL clubs we have to assume he actually wanted to play in North America.

Reason I ask is because he originally signed a contract that had a NTC however it got rejected cuz he wasn't eligible for one. Was wondering if it was same issue with a NMC

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Oh. I didn't know that. The section in the CBA about NMCs and NTCs has the same conditions, so if he wasn't eligible for NTC he wasn't eligible for NMC either. I suppose I was trapped by the same poor wording as whoever submitted that original contract was. I guess having a previous NHL contract that expired is a prerequisite for being a NMC/NTC-clause-eligible UFA.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Vadim Shipachyov officially parts ways with Golden Knights

“We tried to make things work for him here. We hired a translator when he got here. We tried to help him. We had a trade worked out but he didn’t want to play over here and he just wanted to go home.”

Sounds like Shipachyov had soured completely on playing in North America by the time the trade was setup. If true, this doesn't look as bad for McPhee. Obviously things could have been handled differently, but it seems like there was no spiteful forced retirement with a trade on the table.

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Seems more like people are declaring that he couldn't hack it in the NHL based on pre-season games and a few practices.

More like people declaring he deserved preferential treatment because he had proved something in the khl. I bet these people would not care if Linden Vey or Kevin Dallman came back and were sent to the AHL

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Reason I ask is because he originally signed a contract that had a NTC however it got rejected cuz he wasn't eligible for one. Was wondering if it was same issue with a NMC

Do you have a source for denied NTC? My understanding which may very well be wrong is that Group 3 UFAs are eligible for NTC/NMC as long as they are at least 27 years old (or have at least 7 years in)

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
More like people declaring he deserved preferential treatment because he had proved something in the khl. I bet these people would not care if Linden Vey or Kevin Dallman came back and were sent to the AHL
Excelled in the KHL, but also on the international stage, including against NHL players. More than one NHL team was bidding $4M on signing him. Nobody was bidding that on Linden Vey or Kevin Dallman.

Reactions: Morrison

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
Excelled in the KHL, but also on the international stage, including against NHL players. More than one NHL team was bidding $4M on signing him. Nobody was bidding that on Linden Vey or Kevin Dallman.
Ok. Substitute Linden Vey with Linus Omark. He proved as much on the international stage. I don't remember any outrage when he was sent down to AHL

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's because you're missing/ignoring the part (as demonstrated earlier on this page) where McPhee said that:

1. It was not performance related, but roster related.
2. Ship was not going to be playing in the AHL.

Furthermore, comparing a 30 year old who has played (and excelled) against men for years in one of the better pro leagues to 20 year olds with minimal pro experience who went the traditional Junior/NCAA->AHL->NHL route is being disingenuous.
So a GM's comments to the press (or whomever) hold more importance than the $9m contract Shipachyov signed himself? Once again, he was an employee of the Vegas Golden Knights. They didn't owe him an explanation as to why they sent him where they did.

And it's not like GMGM was completely transparent regarding the rift--in the same report he was adamant there was no issue. Maybe GMGM was just sparing the new acquisition the embarrassment of being told in the media that he hadn't shown enough in camp. How would that have gone over with the naysayers here if the GM called him out after training camp? Probably the same.

Tell me, how exactly does this not come off as entitled to you?:

"Give me my roster spot or I'm going home."

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

It's more like Shipachyov was expecting preferential treatment not because he was a KHL star, but because of what Vegas led him to believe would be his role on the team when he signed.
Shipachyov gave an interview (Russian media) immediately after signing and said he chose Vegas because the coach and GM said they were counting on him and going to rely on him.

In no parallel universe does someone like Shipachyov sign with an NHL team if said team's selling point is "we like what we see in you, but, keep in mind, you might need to work your way up through the AHL".

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Signed with SKA, the interview.

Key notes:

- Agent & NHL club promise you one thing & reality is another, they in NHL do not keep their words.
- Russians should think 10-times before moving to NHL, because reality is another than promises of NHL club or agent´s words.
- Vegas told me (2nd time in AHL) that even if I am excellent in AHL, they will not call up me to NHL again.
- Agent talked to Vegas GM, agreed they will seek a trade, it takes a few days. So I came back to Vegas from Chicago, but GM did not tell about "the deal with my agent" to Chicago. They in Chicago assumed I left voluntarily.
- It is not true, as media reported, that I came to my wife in Vegas because she does not speak english.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Key notes:

- Agent & NHL club promise you one thing & reality is another, they in NHL do not keep their words.
- Russians should think 10-times before moving to NHL, because reality is another than promises of NHL club or agent´s words.
- Vegas told me (2nd time in AHL) that even if I am excellent in AHL, they will not call up me to NHL again.
- Agent talked to Vegas GM, agreed they will seek a trade, it takes a few days. So I came back to Vegas from Chicago, but GM did not tell about "the deal with my agent" to Chicago. They in Chicago assumed I left voluntarily.
- It is not true, as media reported, that I came to my wife in Vegas because she does not speak english.
So if your translation is correct, Its also big mistake of his agent. He didnt prepare him and describe him the reality of NHL. They fooled him with fake optimism. Not really that surprised, same agent screwed Sobotka's contract in Omsk. This is exactly that stupid dictate of optimism and positivness....He would be first overager with no NA experience to come to NHL with such a level of trust. Not really...

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Key notes:

Even google translate gives the same vibe.

Oh well, glad he's happy. Any other team but Vegas would have treated him properly and better. Hopefully he tells Gusev to not go to Vegas :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad