Raptors Discussion: v95|Masai's back! The panic and dread can now end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'd not get ahead of myself in terms of expecting a 1st for Dragic. They would need a hefty, hefty market with lots of competition to drive the price up that high.

It's a win to get Achiuwa when Lowry could've conceivably left for nothing. Whatever happens with the rest of the deal is gravy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'd not get ahead of myself in terms of expecting a 1st for Dragic. They would need a hefty, hefty market with lots of competition to drive the price up that high.

It's a win to get Achiuwa when Lowry could've conceivably left for nothing. Whatever happens with the rest of the deal is gravy.
Masai and Webster showing Dubas how it's done when it comes to getting assets for a impending FA. :sarcasm:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
With that trade, it's officially the end of the Raptors most successful era. This organization is going to miss Kyle's presence and leadership big time

Reactions: TDotMassive

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
S&T was he only way Miami could keep Duncan Robinson so I expect more than Achiuwa and a 2nd if Dragic isnt traded to a third team.

S&T's just don't get much in return historically they never have.

Just getting Precious is a win

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
S&T's just don't get much in return historically they never have.

Just getting Precious is a win
Difference is if Heat signed Lowry outright they lose Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn and only have MLE and vet min to fill out roster. Also they

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Miami Heat opens free agency by landing Kyle Lowry on three-year deal | Miami Herald

Miami needed to acquire Lowry via sign-and-trade because it does not have cap space to sign him outright as an over-the-cap team.

Despite his age, Lowry (6-0, 196 pounds) is still considered one of the league’s top point guards. Lowry, who was voted into the All-Star Game in six of the past seven seasons, will be expected to elevate the Heat’s offense with his efficient three-point shooting and ability to take some of the on-ball pressure off Jimmy Butler as a facilitator while also serving as a tough on-ball defender on the other side of the court.

Lowry averaged 17.2 points while shooting 43.6 percent from the field, 39.6 percent on threes and 87.5 percent from the foul line, 5.4 rebounds, 7.3 assists and one steal in 34.8 minutes with the Raptors last season. He has spent the past nine seasons in Toronto and is considered one of the greatest players in Raptors history.

Lowry was named to the All-NBA Third Team for the 2015-16 season and was a key part of the Kawhi Leonard-led Raptors team that won the NBA championship in 2019.

The Dallas Mavericks and New Orleans Pelicans, which both could have created $30-plus million in cap space, were expected to aggressively pursue Lowry in free agency. But multiple outlets reported that teams planning to target Lowry started shifting their focus elsewhere when the Lowry-to-the-Heat momentum began building on Sunday.

The Heat always seemed to be Lowry’s preference. Playing for Miami appeals to him and Butler and Lowry’s close friendship was a factor.

Butler revealed earlier this year that Lowry is the godfather of his daughter Rylee. Butler and Lowry were also Team USA teammates on the squad that won gold in Brazil in the 2016 Olympics.

The Heat’s pursuit of Lowry at the trade deadline in March fell short in part because of its reluctance to include 21-year-old guard Tyler Herro in offers. Just a few months later, Miami acquired Lowry as a free agent and Herro is still on the Heat’s roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad