Raptors Discussion: v95|Masai's back! The panic and dread can now end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Is Alvin Williams the full time colour commentator? I sure hope not, he's painful to listen to.
It's unfortunate. Loved the player, but he brings nothing of value to the broadcast other than that he played the game. That means nothing if you can't articulate your point.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Preseason Per 36

* = injured

Achiuwa (114min): 19.5pts (53.7ts%), 0.6ast (3.1to), 13.5rb (4.1off), 3.1st/1.3bk
Siakam* (0min): ---
Anunoby (101min): 27.6pts (69.1ts%), 2.5ast (1.8to), 5.7rb (2.1off), 2.1st/0.4bk
S.Barnes (132min): 13.4pts (48.9ts%), 7.7ast (2.5to), 6.6rb (2.2off), 1.6st, 1.6bk
VanVleet (98min): 18.3pts (55.2ts%), 7.3ast (1.8to), 4.8rb (0.4off), 1.8st/0.4bk

Birch* (34min): 8.4pts (45.7ts%), 3.1ast (3.1to), 8.4rb (2.1off), 0.0st/1.0bk
Boucher* (0min): ---
Mykhailuk (101min): 17.1pts (59.1ts%), 3.9ast (2.5to), 5.3rb (1.1off), 1.4st/0.7bk
Trent (88min): 19.3pts (44.5ts%), 0.8ast (1.2to), 4.5rb (0.4off), 2.9st/0.0bk
Flynn (89min): 22.6pts (57.3ts%), 3.6ast (1.2to), 2.4rb (0.0off), 1.6st/0.4bk

Gillespie (38min): 4.8pts (36.3ts%), 1.0ast (2.9to), 13.3rb (3.8off), 0.0st/1.9bk
Champagnie (92min): 14.5pts (55.9ts%), 2.7ast (2.7to), 11.3rb (3.9off), 3.1st/1.6bk
Watanabe* (17min): 21.3pts (71.4ts%), 4.3ast (0.0to), 14.9rb (4.3off), 2.1st/4.3bk
Banton (72min): 13.0pts (46.8ts%), 7.5ast (5.5to), 6.0rb (2.0off), 0.5st/2.0bk
Dragic (74min): 15.5pts (54.8ts%), 2.4ast (2.9to), 4.4rb (1.5off), 1.0st/0.5bk

Perry (14min): 21.3pts (60.2ts%), 0.0ast (2.7to), 5.3rb (0.0off), 2.7st/0.0bk
Wainright (35min): 13.3pts (65.8ts%), 3.1ast (4.1to), 9.2rb (1.0off), 2.0st/0.0bk
Dekker (33min): 25.3pts (70.0ts%), 1.1ast (1.1to), 2.2rb (0.0off), 0.0st/0.0bk
Bonga (43min): 7.5pts (57.1ts%), 6.6ast (1.7to), 7.5rb (3.3off), 1.7st/0.8bk
Johnson (25min): 10.0pts (38.9ts%), 4.3ast (5.7to), 7.1rb (1.4off), 1.4st/0.0bk

I think Nick gave us a pretty good idea of who is in and out with his minutes distributions.

The biggest surprises for me is that it looks like Champagnie and Banton are legit part of his team.

The one guy in the top 15 there that might have played his way out of a spot is Gillespie. They might try and see if Ish can handle the 5 spot defensively in his place but I wouldn't be surprised to see us add another C from outside the org before the season starts to take Gillespie spot.

I would guess Dekker and Ish stick around due to injuries but beyond that they're going to have to hope Champagnie and Banton need more work in the G league.
I agree with pretty much everything you said here, except that I think Dekker will be the last cut over Bonga, because Bonga is still very young and inexperienced, could definitely still be some untapped potential there. We basically already know what Dekker is at 27 , plus I would have to imagine Nurse doesn't like his sub par defense.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It's unfortunate. Loved the player, but he brings nothing of value to the broadcast other than that he played the game. That means nothing if you can't articulate your point.

That was my issue, he clearly knows the game but couldn't articulate well enough to get his point across. Hopefully it improves as the year goes along.

Reactions: al secord

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

He's been ok so far. He's not Leo Rautins, but he is also still developing his skills as a broadcaster.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So two of Bonga, Dekker, or Wainwright. I think Dekker made it tough. If they can get Ish on a two-way and have him up while Siakam and Boucher are out that would be ideal.

I like Wainwright and Bonga but I’m leaning Dekker over Bonga for the scoring. Bonga a better player but kind of redundant if he can’t shoot.

Also worth considering a 3rd centre among the cuts on other teams. I think Gillespie is eligible for a two-way so he could play with 905 and be available for call up. Maybe some time in the G league will help him find his game.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
So two of Bonga, Dekker, or Wainwright. I think Dekker made it tough. If they can get Ish on a two-way and have him up while Siakam and Boucher are out that would be ideal.

I like Wainwright and Bonga but I’m leaning Dekker over Bonga for the scoring. Bonga a better player but kind of redundant if he can’t shoot.

Also worth considering a 3rd centre among the cuts on other teams. I think Gillespie is eligible for a two-way so he could play with 905 and be available for call up. Maybe some time in the G league will help him find his game.
gillespie is under contract to another team for g league i think(i believe memphis)

also, what concerns me about dekker is there was clearly a reason he wasnt being played in the other games, maybe bad in practices etc...and hes a much worse defender than bonga and ish. hard to say who they take since nurse values defense so much, dekker he went ham for sure last night but the fact nurse said "its a tougher decision" after that game means he was about to get cut and earned a second thought from the team.

we will see. i like ish and dont see much in bonga or dekker, but if they see something longterm in bonga i think they take him since this year really isnt a go for it year and hes only 21.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Pretty cool that Banton is turning some heads.
His profile is pretty intriguing.
Those late picks and undrafted gems….keep em coming .

Reactions: Gary Nylund

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
gillespie is under contract to another team for g league i think(i believe memphis)

also, what concerns me about dekker is there was clearly a reason he wasnt being played in the other games, maybe bad in practices etc...and hes a much worse defender than bonga and ish. hard to say who they take since nurse values defense so much, dekker he went ham for sure last night but the fact nurse said "its a tougher decision" after that game means he was about to get cut and earned a second thought from the team.

we will see. i like ish and dont see much in bonga or dekker, but if they see something longterm in bonga i think they take him since this year really isnt a go for it year and hes only 21.
I agree. Tough call. With Bonga I think the age is key. He does almost everything well except shoot so it could be worth the time to try and develop his scoring. He could be a very good player if he puts it all together.

Dekker is more polished and adds a different element that could at least be considered. For what will likely be the 4th or 5th option on the floor at all times, it would be nice to have someone that can stand in the corner and hit their 3’s.

I’d take Ish for sure although his lack of playing time was concerning for his chances. Seems Nurse isn’t as high on him as we may have thought from summer league. That could change, just expected to see him play more.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I agree. Tough call. With Bonga I think the age is key. He does almost everything well except shoot so it could be worth the time to try and develop his scoring. He could be a very good player if he puts it all together.

Dekker is more polished and adds a different element that could at least be considered. For what will likely be the 4th or 5th option on the floor at all times, it would be nice to have someone that can stand in the corner and hit their 3’s.

I’d take Ish for sure although his lack of playing time was concerning for his chances. Seems Nurse isn’t as high on him as we may have thought from summer league. That could change, just expected to see him play more.
ye in all reality this is the 14th or 15th spot on the roster so i doubt whomever gets the gig will have much of a role on the team, thats why i think bonga and his age are signifigant(if they really like his tools) and of the 3 of these guys hes definitely been given the most run throughout the preseason.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
once dragic is traded(if he is) this team is one of the very youngest team in the NBA..unlike the other very young teams the raptors are a legit playoff contender if our players perform up to their standards. liking masais vision for this team..fun times ahead.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
My apologies if this is frowned upon, but I'm trying to move two pairs of tickets to the opener tonight on late notice.

One pair in section 103 and one pair in 111. I would transfer them to you on ticketmaster once I take the listing down. I'll give a discounted price as well. DM for further details

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
He's been ok so far. He's not Leo Rautins, but he is also still developing his skills as a broadcaster.

I thought Alvin did okay last year as a broadcaster. Better than I expected, and he can certainly get better than he is now.

I was getting a little tired of Leo. He brought the perspective of "the bigs" into it - to the point where you'd think no one else on the floor mattered.

Reactions: Deebo

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Lol at the Sixers. Shoulda traded Ben Simmons before the draft. What a headache he's turning out to be.
ye ive never heard of anything like what happened at practice the other day. both sides are to blame, that team trasheddddd him after the playoffs, and hes a lazy, entitled diva. just a hilariously dysfunctional display right now lol.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nice to be back in TO for a new reason. We should battle for a playoff spot this season, but some of that will depend on our kids performance. Defensively we should be really solid

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Nice to be back in TO for a new reason. We should battle for a playoff spot this season, but some of that will depend on our kids performance. Defensively we should be really solid
we are gonna be terrible in the half court but elite in transition and defensively,also we will be a much better rebounding team this year despite our collective height imo. if everything goes right i see a 40 - 42 win season. im torn though. i kinda wanna tank one more time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad