Raptors Discussion: v91 - NBA in restart plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Miami will allow either team to get back to the type of game they're comfortable with. Boston-Toronto is literally the worst matchup for both teams against each other. I suspect either Boston or Toronto will actually have little trouble with Miami despite how well Miami has played so far and how long this series is going.

what type of game does Miami play

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
what type of game does Miami play

A lot of 3s and some ISOs with Butler.

The difference is their shooters aren't as athletic as Boston's, so they have more trouble creating their own shot. Toronto's main problem with Boston has been handling their athleticism and tough transition defense, both of which Miami wouldn't be as good at.

Bam is also a gifted interior presence but more in the mold of what Gasol can handle defensively.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Hate the 9PM start. Wonder if it’s at a time to accommodate East and West.

The NHL does it better IMO where they always plan for the West to play the late game.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
A lot of 3s and some ISOs with Butler.

The difference is their shooters aren't as athletic as Boston's, so they have more trouble creating their own shot. Toronto's main problem with Boston has been handling their athleticism and tough transition defense, both of which Miami wouldn't be as good at.

Bam is also a gifted interior presence but more in the mold of what Gasol can handle defensively.
Ya we match up much better against the Heat. Although our guys are going to be f***ing gassed if they make it to the next round.

Reactions: Cloned

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

LOL.

I must say that it's pretty hilarious how Nick Nurse has somehow turned into the ultimate heel of NBA coaches.

Jaylen Brown comes across as one of the more arrogant guys out there on the court. Between him and crybaby Jason Tatum, intense face Theis and flopper Marcus Smart maybe it's the Celtics who need to cool it down.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
What an unreal game. Some massive shots by Anunoby and Powell. Really liked that Nurse went small. They were exploiting Ibaka big time in the PnR to start the 4th. Anunoby had some big rebounds and won a bunch of jump balls also.

What else can you say about Lowry? It is insane how well he defends around the rim at his size. Taking charges, blocking out, getting rebounds, stripping bigs when they get the offensive board etc. There are a lot of flashy PG's in this league but none play D anywhere close to this guy.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
1 thing I don't quite understand is why wasn't the ball in Lowry's hands during the end of 1st OT play? Why Powell? Powell hit some big shots, but I trust Lowry the most.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1 thing I don't quite understand is why wasn't the ball in Lowry's hands during the end of 1st OT play? Why Powell? Powell hit some big shots, but I trust Lowry the most.

Haha I was thinking the same thing and had we lost, I'm sure that would be talked about a lot more today. We had plenty of time too, we could try to move the ball around or whatever. It is odd that coming out of a time out, the best we could come up with was to give it to a bench player and have him dribble the clock down before shooting. Would love to know the thought process behind this one. :)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Norm had 15 points between the 2 OT's so I think it was just a hot hand move. The play call was a little simplistic in the grand scheme of things though.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That was a hell of a game last night. Maybe the most entertaining playoff game in our history.

Let's hope the boys can carry over that intensity to game 7.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I was thinking the same thing. At the very least, have Powell drive to the basket, if blocked dish it off to Lowry, or there is the possibility of a foul. To just waste the clock and then take a 3 seemed very simplistic for such an important game.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
as far as Siakam goes, I think he's been strong enough defensively to stay in the lineup. He just has to stop killing the offense. Whether that's from him simply playing better or the team deciding to put the ball in the hands of other players, the Celtics are too good to keep letting plays die like that
Came here to say this.

His shots not going, he doesn't have a tight enough handle against the really, really good Celtics D (Jaylen Brown has locked him the f*** up). That being said, he is still a monster defensively and subbing him out is a mistake. He also hit a clutch two in double OT and made a beauty kick to OG to get the lead late in double OT.

He's gotta take less shots, the offense can't run through him, but taking him off the court would be a mistake.

What a game man, I was home alone yelling and running around the house scaring my dog lol. Lowry is just something else, have a statue ready for when he retires.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Think I wouldn't have taken the timeout and just inbounded the ball into the defensive 2 point zone. Assuming you don't take a foul the Celtics don't have time to get the ball and get 3 points as there's only 0.5 left on the clock. As opposed to calling timeout and inbounding into an area where it's it's picked off a hail mary 3 is possible. I wonder if that's what Lowry was telling Nurse as Nurse was calling timeout.

The refs were reviewing the call, which is why Boston wasn't pressing yet. They would have pressed that inbounds too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was thinking the same thing. At the very least, have Powell drive to the basket, if blocked dish it off to Lowry, or there is the possibility of a foul. To just waste the clock and then take a 3 seemed very simplistic for such an important game.

Yup. Taking a 3 without even trying for a better shot was just weird.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yup. Taking a 3 without even trying for a better shot was just weird.
It was one of those trust the hot hand moments. Ideally Powell would have shown some more urgency in attacking the rim, but it's not like he ended up taking a brutal shot.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Big win. Must be deflating for Boston. I really hope we win game 7. Boston has the most unlikable teams and fans, and are the biggest whiners I've ever seen, despite most things going their way.

Can someone explain what happened at the end of the 4th quarter? We inbounded it with 2.2 seconds left, and got fouled immediately after touching the ball. How did the clock go down to 0.9? We ended up winning, so no big deal, but I am curious anyway. That extra second would have been huge.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Zanks

Apr 8, 2017
Honestly, I didn't mind the shot for Norm. Easier to take it down to the actual buzzer with that pull up. You saw what happened to Kemba on a late game drive, mild contact (which makes a shot incredibly difficult) is tolerated, whistle swallowed.

He didn't make the shot. Had a good look at it. Norm is probably the best Raps Iso player after Siakam (when Siakam is right, which he clearly isn't right now).

Lowry gets blocked in late game situations alot. If they were able to get Lowry with Kemba isolated, obviously, that's a solid matchup. Unlikely Boston let's that happen. More likely it's Smart, and at that point, the flopper might get foul no 6 on an aggressively driving Lowry.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It was one of those trust the hot hand moments. Ideally Powell would have shown some more urgency in attacking the rim, but it's not like he ended up taking a brutal shot.

Yeah, I guess so. I trust Nick Nurse and everything but still, when this was going down I was just staring at the screen in disbelief. We won so all is good but still, had we lost I'm sure that play would be under the microscope today. And I wonder what Nick Nurse really thinks about that today, would he make the same play call if he had to do it over? Maybe he would, not sure though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If Anunoby can develop some better handles, he’s gonna be even better than Siakam. More natural shooting ability and he’s even more athletically gifted.

Reactions: BAM and yvrtojfk

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Habs fan coming in peace as I am a die hard Raps fan, so please be gentle...

Yesterday's game didn't do my blood pressure any favors. I agree with some that I was wondering what exactly was the plan at the end of the 1st OT by handing it to Norm, but he was hot yesterday so in hindsight, I guess nothing wrong with the decision.

Spicy P... man, I dunno what's happening with him right now. Defensively he's doing ok but offence seems to just die on his hands during key moments of this series, but last night was incredibly frustrating. I hope he turns it on tomorrow because Boston is going to come at us hard in the opening quarter.

Oh, and I really dislike Marcus Smart. Not gonna say how I really feel as the language may get me the ban hammer.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah, I guess so. I trust Nick Nurse and everything but still, when this was going down I was just staring at the screen in disbelief. We won so all is good but still, had we lost I'm sure that play would be under the microscope today. And I wonder what Nick Nurse really thinks about that today, would he make the same play call if he had to do it over? Maybe he would, not sure though.
My guess is Nurse would opt for a play with more movement off ball, Powell would still be on of the main options given how he had played down the stretch.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I find it so f***ing comical how Celtic fans are complaining about the refs... There were so many BS calls that went Boston's way yesterday...

The foul on Siakam when he was getting the rebound and boxing out Tatum
The blatant elbow to Lowrys face
The non-shooting foul call on OG, but then a Celtic player does the exact same thing in OT and it counts as a shooting foul

There's been a lot more throughout the series. Someone here said it best. It's hard enough to try and beat the Celtics and it's even harder trying to beat the Celtics and what the refs throw at us.

I really f***ing hope they win game 7... I got a shitty feeling the refs will help them out.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Habs fan coming in peace as I am a die hard Raps fan, so please be gentle...

Yesterday's game didn't do my blood pressure any favors. I agree with some that I was wondering what exactly was the plan at the end of the 1st OT by handing it to Norm, but he was hot yesterday so in hindsight, I guess nothing wrong with the decision.

Spicy P... man, I dunno what's happening with him right now. Defensively he's doing ok but offence seems to just die on his hands during key moments of this series, but last night was incredibly frustrating. I hope he turns it on tomorrow because Boston is going to come at us hard in the opening quarter.

Oh, and I really dislike Marcus Smart. Not gonna say how I really feel as the language may get me the ban hammer.
Siakam doesn't have a high basketball IQ. They need him to play hard D and limit his touches when away from the basket. His length should be an advantage down low but is too unreliable in getting off clean shots.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I find it so f***ing comical how Celtic fans are complaining about the refs... There were so many BS calls that went Boston's way yesterday...

The foul on Siakam when he was getting the rebound and boxing out Tatum
The blatant elbow to Lowrys face
The non-shooting foul call on OG, but then a Celtic player does the exact same thing in OT and it counts as a shooting foul

There's been a lot more throughout the series. Someone here said it best. It's hard enough to try and beat the Celtics and it's even harder trying to beat the Celtics and what the refs throw at us.

I really f***ing hope they win game 7... I got a shitty feeling the refs will help them out.

I shook my head watching the beginning of the second overtime. Turned to my father and said "I think the refs want this game over." Seems like 85% of the calls went Boston's way...

Reactions: yvrtojfk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad