Raptors Discussion: v91 - NBA in restart plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
New thread to discuss the Raptors.

Former thread: Raptors Discussion: - v90| Fighting through the injuries (but not Coronavirus. NBA Suspends season until further notice)

***********************MOD NOTE (as of Aug 27)***********************

Note posted by The Nemesis

The following Moderator Note was posted on the morning of August 27, 2020 in response to goings on in this thread resulting from discussion of NBA players' decision to boycott playoff games in the wake of ongoing social movements and protests.

In the interest of not having a lengthy post at the top of each page, it has been put in spoiler tags.

Please read it if you have not done so already.

Every poster will be assumed to have read it if they continue to participate in this thread from the time this warning was posted and beyond.

If you've visited this thread over the past few days and are doing so again right now you've no doubt noticed there are a lot of posts missing with regards to the boycotting of games.

HF's rules are and have been for a long time that there is no political talk permitted except in instances where the subject matter has a hockey-related context to validate discussion (and only in the context of those hockey-related matters). While one could argue that "hockey-related" can be expanded to "basketball-related" in a permitted thread about basketball and not hockey, the contextual requirement remains.

What started as a basic discussion on the nature of the boycotting of games and impact on the league quickly escalated into political screeds of a much broader and less sport-related scope.Value judgements of political movements and stances, calls to support/not support the league based on their chosen political ideology, comparative judgements of other sports leagues based on social response or responsibility, or outright and wholly political talk about political issues with basically only "it's what we're already talking about here" ties to even tether them to the concept of other sports. And that invited comments that violated other rules such as flaming or offensive content (which is why political talk has generally been forbidden across most/all of HF: because people can't handle it maturely enough to avoid it getting messy)

In short, an inch was given and people took a mile. And in many cases a grossly inappropriate mile. And in some cases there seemed to be a belief that the existence of such content was tantamount to condoning it when the reality is more likely that the moderators have been distracted by other things and this thread flew under the radar over the last day or so.

To that end, all political discussion over the last few days has been removed as disallowed, as per HF rules. Comments specifically about the boycott and how it might impact the remainder of the playoffs going forward have remained, but only if they had no political slant to them whatsoever. Yes this means some relatively benign posts that had mild political undertones have been removed, but leaving even a small amount which could restart discussion or invite "you deleted X but not Y" complaints wasn't an option.

Moving forward there will have to be no tolerance for discussions of a political nature. Any further political posts will be removed. Anyone who violates the rules will also have to be removed from the thread. It's drastic and draconian, but the way things went over the last day or so kind of prove it's necessary if people aren't willing to stay in bounds. And HF, as a privately owned and operated business, is allowed to set whatever rules on conduct and content it wishes. If that includes disallowing political talk, then that's what the rules will be. I have to enforce them, and you have to abide by them.

Sorry everyone. This is the way it has to be. I apologize for the long post and the aggressive restrictions. I don't generally like doing this sort of thing. But it reached a point where it was necessary. I hope it won't be any more necessary moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
anyone holding a grudge over that takes sports far too seriously.
People just like to find issues for no reason, even when they don't exist. Anyone calling him low character just doesn't know what that is.

Carter didn't ever chase rings, and instead went to bottom feeders because he could get more playing time. I think thats a sign of high character.
Vince also adapted his game as he got older. He knew he couldn't beat guys 1 on 1, so he changed his game to more of a 3 point shooter defender. Thats a sign of high character. Carmelo didn't adapt his game, and it's he doesn't last long with teams when he got older.

Last edited:
Reactions: donghabs98

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He putted Raptors on the Map, let’s give him that. Would be nice to see them retired his jersey. But if they want to get a statue for him, that’s where I draw the line.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since the NBA is going to play their remaining games at Walt Disney World, someone re-designed the team logos with a Disney theme. Here is what the Raptors logo looks like.

raptors-nba-disney.-logo.png

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

That whole Florida situation is a ticking timebomb for the NBA. Some young dumb player is gonna get the itch to go out on the town and bring some hoochie thots coronavirus back with him.

Luckily our team is full of vets and smart younger guys with families and wives to think about but there are too many variables for it to go off clean without incident, especially with it being in Florida. It’s the same for the NHL imo except for the Florida part

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That whole Florida situation is a ticking timebomb for the NBA. Some young dumb player is gonna get the itch to go out on the town and bring some hoochie thots coronavirus back with him.

Luckily our team is full of vets and smart younger guys with families and wives to think about but there are too many variables for it to go off clean without incident, especially with it being in Florida. It’s the same for the NHL imo except for the Florida part
At least the NHL came to their senses and chose the lower hit places in Toronto and Edmonton. I don't why the NBA chose Florida of all places.

Reactions: supermann_98

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
ESPN needs Woj more than Woj needs ESPN
That's probably true. I doubt he'll be without a job for long.

I notice he's been suspended and not fired.

My theory/hope/WAG is that he and ESPN are acting out a necessary charade for appearances. They agreed in advance to follow a script.

Woj never should have tweeted that - it's unprofessional
ESPN had to do something - so they suspended him.
Woj had to do something - so he apologized.

After a suitable time frame, ESPN will announce the suspension has been lifted and Woj is back dropping bombs.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He putted Raptors on the Map, let’s give him that. Would be nice to see them retired his jersey. But if they want to get a statue for him, that’s where I draw the line.
Retire the jersey of a player who quit on the team and demanded a trade? He took away all of the organizations leverage and left them to either keep a player who didn’t want to be there and wasn’t giving effort, or accept a trade that they were always gonna lose?

Is the bar really that low?

Reactions: Dr.Funk

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Retire the jersey of a player who quit on the team and demanded a trade? He took away all of the organizations leverage and left them to either keep a player who didn’t want to be there and wasn’t giving effort, or accept a trade that they were always gonna lose?

Is the bar really that low?

The guy who put this city and team on the map and got our team some recognition worldwide and grew the sport of basketball in all of Canada is considered setting the bar low. Damn, that's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad