Raptors Discussion: v88| Kawhi signs with the Clippers. But hey, at least we got a title out of him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Trey Lyles is now unrestricted after the Nuggets acquired Jerami Grant. I would like to see him brought in on a deal similar to Stanley Johnson's. Took a big step back last year dealing with injuries.
Djq, where do you see the raps going from here? Do we sell do we just try to make the playoffs knowing this isn't a championship team? Retool perhaps? What do you see here for the raps this season and next?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I’ll cheer for Kawhi next season and the Clippers. That franchise needs this, a good team who are favorites to win it all next year.

That team is assembled right, tough defensively but can also score heavy.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Trey Lyles would be a solid pick up. If we cant land him as a Canadian then are in some trouble :) McCaw would be good too. Cheick Diallo is another. Would be a good back up PF.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Trey Lyles would be a solid pick up. If we cant land him as a Canadian then are in some trouble :) McCaw would be good too.

Cheick Diallo is another. Would be a good back up PF.

Lowry/FVV
Powell/Lyles/McCaw
OG/Hollis-Jefferson/Johnson
Siakam/Diallo
Gasol/Ibaka

Boucher and Miller too. Play it until the deadline and see where you are.

What would your end goal be? NBA is one of the more predictable sports for betting and such. I mean GSW the past 5 years is pretty locked and safe where as in the NHL it's all over the map who will win.

Is it more about keeping competitive for development reasons in the NBA? Does draft and develop not work so well?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Trey Lyles would be a solid pick up. If we cant land him as a Canadian then are in some trouble :) McCaw would be good too.

Cheick Diallo is another. Would be a good back up PF.

Lowry/FVV
Powell/Lyles/McCaw
Siakam/Diallo
Gasol/Ibaka

Boucher and Miller too. Play it until the deadline and see where you are.

Isn't Trey Lyles a PF? That would make him more of a Siakam backup.

Also, the Raptors already gave a three year deal to Matt Thomas, who probably splits the bench with McCaw, and Terence Davis who may also be on the roster as a depth SG guard.

OG has big shoes to fill but otherwise that's still a quality team. Losing Green, especially playoff Green, is probably not the biggest deal in the world. I like the chances of Powell being able to step up to replace him, and to have McCaw or whomever to replace him. I guess they hope Thomas can help replace the 3PT ability.

My guess is the Raptors may add one more PF type guy and one more PG. Then they'll have Davis, Boucher, Miller, Hernandez, etc. fight it out for the last spots on the roster.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Also, the Raptors already gave a three year deal to Matt Thomas, who probably splits the bench with McCaw, and Terence Davis who may also be on the roster as a depth SG guard.

OG has big shoes to fill but otherwise that's still a quality team. Losing Green, especially playoff Green, is probably not the biggest deal in the world. I like the chances of Powell being able to step up to replace him, and to have McCaw or whomever to replace him. I guess they hope Thomas can help replace the 3PT ability.

My guess is the Raptors may add one more PF type guy and one more PG. Then they'll have Davis, Boucher, Miller, Hernandez, etc. fight it out for the last spots on the roster.

Dont know what i was thinking or who i was confusing him with. You are right.

Forgot about Thomas too.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Would that roster take us deep?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Dont know what i was thinking or who i was confusing him with. You are right.

Forgot about Thomas too.

I also don't think Trey Lyles is a free agent right now unfortunately. If you take out Lyles and add Thomas, that lineup could still work though. Diallo is a free agent.

Sign a new 3rd PG, or maybe bring back Jeremy Lin if he's not getting any better offers.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I also don't think Trey Lyles is a free agent right now unfortunately. If you take out Lyles and add Thomas, that lineup could still work though. Diallo is a free agent.

Sign a new 3rd PG, or maybe bring back Jeremy Lin if he's not getting any better offers.

Nuggets' Trey Lyles: Now unrestricted free agent

Yeah Thomas and McCaw would be solid.

Lowry/FVV
Powell/Thomas/McCaw/Miller
Siakam/Diallo
Gasol/Ibaka/Boucher

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Would that roster take us deep?

No, probably not. It's not the Championship rosters you are seeing in the West, and the Bucks/Sixers would beat them.

The only alternative though is rebuild, which they may decide to do if they don't look like they could be a serious contender at the TDL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No, probably not. It's not the Championship rosters you are seeing in the West, and the Bucks/Sixers would beat them.

The only alternative though is rebuild, which they may decide to do if they don't look like they could be a serious contender at the TDL.

Is it best to be good and sell at the TDL?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I like what the Raps are doing with the signings.

Signing Thomas, Johson, Hollis-Jefferson, Davis and now McCaw, they are giving themselves options. Low risk and high reward options.

If there is any team in NBA that can turn projects into players its the Raptors. They did it with FVV, Siakam, OG, Powell, Poertle (before trade).

Our team isn't by far horrible. We still have enough to take home the 4th-5th seed next season. If one or two of the players signed develop beyond expectations, we can even go further. Worse case they have positioned themselves to develop assets for future trades.

I like what they are doing. Good on the Raps.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What would your end goal be? NBA is one of the more predictable sports for betting and such. I mean GSW the past 5 years is pretty locked and safe where as in the NHL it's all over the map who will win.

Is it more about keeping competitive for development reasons in the NBA? Does draft and develop not work so well?

My mistake about Lyles' position and forgetting Thomas.

Tanking doesnt guarantee anything and you would be hardpressed to sell on a championship team. I run it back unless you get ridiculous offers. Little harm in running it back, good for the players, the fans, the owners and the market. Raps are an easy playoff team who can win a round or 2, that is worth something to me and should be worth a lot to the fans and the market.

You can easily rebuild and retool on the fly. You need some depth and real starters on your roster to insulate the rest of your roster. And who knows, Raps werent supposed to win a championship and then boom Durant and Klay go out. You never know.

People dont like "treadmill" but if it werent for "treadmill" we would have sold a long time ago and then trading for Kawhi makes no sense and you dont win a championship. Nothing wrong with competing.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Curious as to how people think the 19-20 Clippers stack up against the 18-19 Raptors?

Starters:
#1 option: Kawhi vs Kawhi - It's a wash.
#2 option: Siakam vs George - Siakam has loads of potential, but George is quite a bit better now.
#3 option: Lowry vs Beverly - I take Lowry.
#4 option: Green vs Shamet - Gimme Green.
#5 option: Gasol vs Harrell - I'd take Gasol.

Bench:
Van Vleet, Ibaka, Powell, Anunoby vs Williams, Zubac, Green, Chandler: Williams is the best scorer, but I'd still take the Raps bench.

Obviously the Clippers have the best 2nd star, but I still think the Raptors last year were a better built team. So it's interesting how the Clippers are now being seen as the unanimous favorites, while we were written off most of the year, even through the playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Is it best to be good and sell at the TDL?

Well they aren't going to sell after winning. Especially with a team that is good enough to be 3rd or 4th in the conference (at least). However if things aren't going according to plan, they may decide to sell off. Teams in the playoffs have sold off before. Not even just in basketball, but especially in basketball since usually if you are not a top 5 seed in your conference, you aren't making it past the first round, never mind much further than that.

The Raptors may decide to postpone the sell off if they are still a top 5 seed at the TDL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Curious as to how people think the 19-20 Clippers stack up against the 18-19 Raptors?

Starters:
#1 option: Kawhi vs Kawhi - It's a wash.
#2 option: Siakam vs George - Siakam has loads of potential, but George is quite a bit better now.
#3 option: Lowry vs Beverly - I take Lowry.
#4 option: Green vs Shamet - Gimme Green.
#5 option: Gasol vs Harrell - I'd take Gasol.

Bench:
Van Vleet, Ibaka, Powell, Anunoby vs Williams, Zubac, Green, Chandler: Williams is the best scorer, but I'd still take the Raps bench.

Obviously the Clippers have the best 2nd star, but I still think the Raptors last year were a better built team. So it's interesting how the Clippers are now being seen as the unanimous favorites, while we were written off most of the year, even through the playoffs.

It makes for good press, especially with the Lakers bringing in Davis to be the #2 to Lebron.

Lebron and Davis vs. Leonard and George for LA supremacy and possibly the championship. There are few other pieces in that mix too (i.e. Cousins, etc.).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I wouldn't consider Hollis-Jerfferson a 3 anymore. He's a 4 IMO

Lowry/FVV
Powell/Thomas/McCaw/Davis
OG/Johnson/Miller
Siakam/Hollis-Jefferson/Boucher
Gasol/Ibaka

You may be right as you will probably get more out of him there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You may be right as you will probably get more out of him there.

I really do like our depth with our forwards and bigs. Gasol, Ibaka, Siakam, OG, Johnson, HJ, Boucher. That's a solid group.

Obviously Lowry and FVV are fine. I assume we'll add a 3rd PG before the season.

I'm really skeptical on our shooting guards though.

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Oh, ok. I have new found interest and don't know all the ins and outs yet. Thanks.

No worries man.

I'm sure this is probably just the inverse of what traditionally Basketball fans in Los Angeles were like in 2012 when the Kings won the Stanley Cup.

TTT.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I really do like our depth with our forwards and bigs. Gasol, Ibaka, Siakam, OG, Johnson, HJ, Boucher. That's a solid group.

Obviously Lowry and FVV are fine. I assume we'll add a 3rd PG before the season.

I'm really skeptical on our shooting guards though.

I know, if the Raps dont make anymore moves then it is a huge opportunity for Powell, like HUGE. Same with McCaw and Miller... If not you can roll 2 PGs like we did in the playoffs with Lowry and FVV but then you need to find a better backup PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad