Raptors Discussion: v88| Kawhi signs with the Clippers. But hey, at least we got a title out of him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Read a interesting comment that the NBA planned this rivalry (look at the excitement) there was no way Kawhi was going to Lakers. Sure he wanted to go home but is that going to be an excuse now? Russ wants to go home. PG wants to go home.

All in all, Leonard was a rental for us... It worked out, a rarity in sports. But I think Ujiri knew it from the start so he had a back up plan.

BTW, OKC is a mess.... Now they're blaming Westbrook, crazy.

I wonder what his plan is. Or is this it? Signing a few depth guys? I am not criticizing, just asking. I am sure he has a plan, he knew this would be a very real possibility.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I wonder what his plan is. Or is this it? Signing a few depth guys? I am not criticizing, just asking. I am sure he has a plan, he knew this would be a very real possibility.

Well, adding depth is a given but waiting it out to see what 2020 brings and milk the expiring contracts so you build around FVV/PS.. Is an obvious plan. Rebuilding is risky IMO, just retool.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
It seems that Paul George was reportedly Kawhi's fourth choice, he tried to recruit Durant, Butler, and even Kyrie Irving first. I wonder how the rest of the Raps feel about that. As time goes by I bet they will have little to say, good or bad about Kawhi.
It seems that the ploy to use the Raps as suitors for Westbrook or George was immediately recognized by Masai as a smokescreen. Unfortunately for the Clippers Presti knew it too and managed to bend them over for all those picks and players.
Uncle Dennis and Kawhi are not half the master negotiators they thought they were. In an ideal situation they would have recruited someone like Durant or Butler, and also managed to get Kawhi his max money through a sign and trade. Clippers could have hung on to a young stud like SGA and some of those picks, in case George or Kawhi's health continues to be an issue. They also wouldn't have all of Lakers nation out for blood.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It seems that Paul George was reportedly Kawhi's fourth choice, he tried to recruit Durant, Butler, and even Kyrie Irving first. I wonder how the rest of the Raps feel about that. As time goes by I bet they will have little to say, good or bad about Kawhi.
It seems that the ploy to use the Raps as suitors for Westbrook or George was immediately recognized by Masai as a smokescreen. Unfortunately for the Clippers Presti knew it too and managed to bend them over for all those picks and players.
Uncle Dennis and Kawhi are not half the master negotiators they thought they were. In an ideal situation they would have recruited someone like Durant or Butler, and also managed to get Kawhi his max money through a sign and trade. Clippers could have hung on to a young stud like SGA and some of those picks, in case George or Kawhi's health continues to be an issue. They also wouldn't have all of Lakers nation out for blood.

The master plan was really crazy, somehow it manages to screw everyone including Kawhi himself. Instead of 5yrs and max money, he gets 4yrs and then his new team has no picks to use as currency, so they get the screw job too. Then the Raps whom he just won with get an asset screw job for the acquisition. Who actually wins this insane scheme?!

The sign and trade for a predetermined amount was the best deal for all parties.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
What about Dragan Bender? Am I out to lunch on liking him?

Outside of an A+ name, he’s only 21 and raw. I feel like our development team could work with him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Raptors were losers until they weren't.

They weren't the Clippers though.

Remember that stretch in the NHL draft where everyone made fun of the Oilers for how awfully they drafted? Imagine that, but worse. That's what it was like when the Clippers were abysmal in for like almost 20 years from 1990 to whenever they drafted Eric Gordon or Blake Griffin

Reactions: WillNy29

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I think Masai should do whatever it takes to get Bradley Beal. He has a decent contract and would be a great scoring replacement for Kawhi.

He also has 2 years remaining on his contract and is a stand up guy. He gets a little overshadowed in the league playing in Washington.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

During the ordeal, someone put it best by saying he was looking to find a reason to leave Toronto or find a reason to stay. Obviously the second part of that equation wasn't quite right, but to comfortably pick the Clippers he had to build the right environment and recruiting George as the fourth option seems to have checked off that box. Regardless of the results and the massive casualties across four franchises, Kawhi got what he wanted. It was a massive political flex.

At the end of the day, the Toronto Raptors got their happy ending but not the encore. It's disappointing to hear Kawhi didn't trust in this group despite going to war and winning with them. I suppose that's fine and it's time to move on. My feeling is a decade on there may be some regret on his end that he ran away from a title defense and couldn't quite get the recipe right in LA again.

Remember, all these wheeling and dealing franchises are trying to get to where Toronto is sitting and that is a fantastic feeling.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
During the ordeal, someone put it best by saying he was looking to find a reason to leave Toronto or find a reason to stay. Obviously the second part of that equation wasn't quite right, but to comfortably pick the Clippers he had to build the right environment and recruiting George as the fourth option seems to have checked off that box. Regardless of the results and the massive casualties across four franchises, Kawhi got what he wanted. It was a massive political flex.

At the end of the day, the Toronto Raptors got their happy ending but not the encore. It's disappointing to hear Kawhi didn't trust in this group despite going to war and winning with them. I suppose that's fine and it's time to move on. My feeling is a decade on there may be some regret on his end that he ran away from a title defense and couldn't quite get the recipe right in LA again.

Remember, all these wheeling and dealing franchises are trying to get to where Toronto is sitting and that is a fantastic feeling.

He wanted to go to war with LeBron, he wanted to get another franchise it's first title. I am pretty sure he is going for undisputed best player in the league at this point. He doesn't want to go up in step with LeBron, he wants to stop him and beat him in his hometown. He gave up a lot of money for this, it's pretty obvious he is going to war. This guy's got brass ones, a serious set, you saw him will games to our favor, the guys special.

Kawhi... Shine on you crazy diamond, shine on.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Which is why Masai and Bobby allowed OKC to use them as leverage to maximize their return. It's all about balancing the league, and they just gutted the Clippers of all their future capital.

TheTriad

Aug 29, 2007
And of course, Paul George dated Doc Rivers' daughter and cheated on her with a Miami stripper...Wild Willd West

Reactions: McRpro

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
They weren't the Clippers though.

Remember that stretch in the NHL draft where everyone made fun of the Oilers for how awfully they drafted? Imagine that, but worse. That's what it was like when the Clippers were abysmal in for like almost 20 years from 1990 to whenever they drafted Eric Gordon or Blake Griffin

People said the same things about the Warriors 7 years ago.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Blake Murphy wonders if the Celtics might do Gordon Hayward + Assets for Marc Gasol.

Thinks the Heat would have interest in Kyle Lowry.

Wonders if Charlotte might add assets to Nik Staukas in order to get an expiring contract.

He essentially thinks the most likely plan for the Raptors is to focus on the 2021 free agency class, and use the next two years to see what they have internally, but also use these next two years to acquire assets in exchange for contracts expiring in 2021.

He also thinks the Raptors will try and get Siakam locked into a long-term deal around 20-22M if they can. If Siakam is asking for much higher than that, then the Raps will likely just wait and see what happens this year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Blake Murphy wonders if the Celtics might do Gordon Hayward + Assets for Marc Gasol.

Thinks the Heat would have interest in Kyle Lowry.

Wonders if Charlotte might add assets to Nik Staukas in order to get an expiring contract.

He essentially thinks the most likely plan for the Raptors is to focus on the 2021 free agency class, and use the next two years to see what they have internally, but also use these next two years to acquire assets in exchange for contracts expiring in 2021.

He also thinks the Raptors will try and get Siakam locked into a long-term deal around 20-22M if they can. If Siakam is asking for much higher than that, then the Raps will likely just wait and see what happens this year.

Not sure that Gordon Hayward is the answer for us especially with his bloated contract.

I personally would rather stay the course and sell nothing at the moment. If things don't work out closer to the deadline then sell assets. If not go into the playoffs with what you have got and start the rebuild in the off season with young players, cap space and picks. Sometimes standing pat is the best way to go.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Masai can pull a rabbit out of his hat again by trading for a legit number one scoring option, I'm ok with staying the course.

Otherwise, it makes more sense to unload all our vets on expiring contracts sooner rather than later.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not sure that Gordon Hayward is the answer for us especially with his bloated contract.

I personally would rather stay the course and sell nothing at the moment. If things don't work out closer to the deadline then sell assets. If not go into the playoffs with what you have got and start the rebuild in the off season with young players, cap space and picks. Sometimes standing pat is the best way to go.
Hayward wouldn't be the central piece in any trade, the 1st round pick(s) attached to him would be. He's only signed for one more year than Gasol, gives us a shot maker, and expires exactly when we need him to in 2021.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Masai can pull a rabbit out of his hat again by trading for a legit number one scoring option, I'm ok with staying the course.

Otherwise, it makes more sense to unload all our vets on expiring contracts sooner rather than later.

Just from an optics standpoint they aren't going to sell off when they can still afford to put a competitive team together to start the season.

At the TDL is a different story however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad