Raptors Discussion: v88| Kawhi signs with the Clippers. But hey, at least we got a title out of him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
You are exaggerating how bad he his because he plays on an inexperienced team that don't know how to develop players. To say he wouldn't be in the league of not for him being a first is crazy.

Not really - he is really that bad, there are players with better advanced stats from the same draft that arent in the league.

2014 NBA Draft | Basketball-Reference.com

Happens all the time, guys who were high draft picks stay around much longer than they should have. Not just in the NBA but all sports.

The fact is if he didnt have the high draft status and subsequently his contract he wouldnt be thrown out for 35+ minutes a night and he wouldnt get this much attention or exposure thus limiting his chance to stay in the league. He was drafted based on his ceiling, athleticism and raw potential - 5 years later still only has that but as a 30M+ contract per year for the next 4 years keeping him in the league. The contract is what is keeping him in the league, not his play.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
So where is Kwahi's statement to the Raptors and its fans????

Kawhi hasn't even made a statement about joining the Clippers.

I'm not sure what you're expecting, the guy doesn't have any social media accounts. He made his decision Friday, and it's now Monday.

He already thanked the organization, city and country during the parade (for the championship he delivered), and I'm sure he'll say some nice things when he has his media availability to be introduced in LA.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueTT

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
So where is Kwahi's statement to the Raptors and its fans????

Helping win a championship is statement enough. I never understood why people get so bent out of shape about this stuff. I couldn't care less if hes doesn't say a thing, because even if he does issue a statement, there is no reason to believe any of it is actually true.

Reactions: WillNy29

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Helping win a championship is statement enough. I never understood why people get so bent out of shape about this stuff. I couldn't care less if hes doesn't say a thing, because even if he does issue a statement, there is no reason to believe any of it is actually true.

He said "Thank you Toronto and Canada, we did it" during the parade. Good enough, who cares, we won. It's such a rare thing. Can Masai make us a contender and how long?!

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

No reason to issue a statement?

He was treated with velvet gloves. Became a beloved star in a city and country. Yes he delivered a championship, and for that we all should be thankful. But issue a statement, thank the fans, the city, management and teammates for making this past year what it was and became.

When was it that a star left an organization after winning a championship with a city in any sport? Doesn't happen.

Sorry I don't agree, some kind words, some reasoning from his mouth would be a nice gesture.

Reactions: MsMeow

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He said "Thank you Toronto and Canada, we did it" during the parade. Good enough, who cares, we won. It's such a rare thing. Can Masai make us a contender and how long?!

Seems like an odd question to ask.

That’s like asking if Usain Bolt could break the 100M record again a week after the 2008 Olympic Games.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Thank god the Raptors have Masai.
He'll build this team into another contender in no time.
Much rather lose Kawhi than Masai.

I agree with this 110%.

Masai is about Toronto. We will definitely be back sooner rather then later. He didn't sacrifice too much of the future in winning this championship. Lots of expiring contracts, and young pieces/draft picks to make it work.

I still believe we have the horses to place 4th/5th in the East this year. When contracts expire, rebuild commences. Ibaka, Gasol, and Lowry expiring is over 65 million in freed up space. We can easily target 2 max players after next season. Pair that with Siakam, FVV and OG still getting better, by 2020/21 season we will contend again.

Should be fun to watch.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
No reason to issue a statement?

He was treated with velvet gloves. Became a beloved star in a city and country. Yes he delivered a championship, and for that we all should be thankful. But issue a statement, thank the fans, the city, management and teammates for making this past year what it was and became.

When was it that a star left an organization after winning a championship with a city in any sport? Doesn't happen.

Sorry I don't agree, some kind words, some reasoning from his mouth would be a nice gesture.

I am sure he will in due time.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I agree with this 110%.

Masai is about Toronto. We will definitely be back sooner rather then later. He didn't sacrifice too much of the future in winning this championship. Lots of expiring contracts, and young pieces/draft picks to make it work.

I still believe we have the horses to place 4th/5th in the East this year. When contracts expire, rebuild commences. Ibaka, Gasol, and Lowry expiring is over 65 million in freed up space. We can easily target 2 max players after next season. Pair that with Siakam, FVV and OG still getting better, by 2020/21 season we will contend again.

Should be fun to watch.

Cap space is great, but they will just have to overpay a 2nd tier guy to get them to come here. No top tier free agent is going to sign in Toronto. The only hope we have is Giannis, and I am not sure even that will happen.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Seems like an odd question to ask.

That’s like asking if Usain Bolt could break the 100M record again a week after the 2008 Olympic Games.

Seeming that Masai is the most interesting person in Toronto sports right now, everyone wants to see him work more magic. I am a hockey guy that only played Basketball with friends growing up, no league play. I have gone to Raps games but am I really a die hard or do I know all the thing and watch it religiously? The answer is no. Masai's story and how he made a champion is infinitely more interesting to me, I am a Masai and Raps fan now and am learning because of that story. I think that's how fans are born when they aren't kids that started skating at 3 and get on the ice regularly to this day or alternatively... I was a pitcher, not bad not great but I had a cool nickname, then there were lockouts and such, I quit baseball, straight up left and never watched again.

To what you said, if you're a simple reactionary fan then sure, some people love the process and story that goes along with it.

Last edited:

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
You come across like a paid shill for the Clippers. Supposedly a big "Leafs" fan yet literally half your total posts in this forum have taken place over the last few days in this thread. And most containing multiple paragraphs. Strange behaviour for a "regular" fan.
So you made your point that Toronto was not Kawhi's desired destination. You can leave now.

I don't choose my fandoms based on geography, sorry. Nor do I care about things like "hometown pride". The Leafs are my team because I like the color scheme and the logo and the big-market spotlight.

Same goes for the Clippers. Reason I'm posting about this topic is because this is the #1 sports topic in Toronto and much of Canada right now- and as a Clippers fan who lives in Southern Ontario, this is kinda in the cross of everything.

TTT.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It's definitely very sad to see Kawhi go. It's rare to see that level of greatness in any sport, on any team, and we were lucky enough to witness it for a year in Toronto. The performance he put in was Jordan-esque, and I think it's fair to say we'll never see another player like him play for the Raptors in our lifetime. Luckily, it culminated in a championship, and that can never be taken away. So I'm grateful for that.

While it would have been amazing to see him here for another year or two, the second it came out that he wasn't interested in a short-term deal, I knew the writing was on the wall. That was our only chance - for him to give the LA teams another season to get their houses in order.

But it turns our that Kawhi is as focused and methodical off the court as he is on it. When he has a goal, he keeps at it until he gets it done, even if unforeseen obstacles pop up.
His goal was to go home and play for the Clippers, and he set that goal early in 2017. It took him two years, but he got there. And man, he did it creatively. When Durant went to Brooklyn, he turned his attention to Butler. When Butler went to Miami, he recruited a player who was already under contract with another team. It was an incredible set of shrewd maneuvers from someone everyone thinks is this quiet, simple guy.

This article sums it up incredibly well: Kawhi Leonard Made the Clippers Accept All the Risk to Earn Their Superteam

Kawhi exercised every bit of the massive amount of power at his fingertips this offseason. He essentially looked around the league and picked what team he wanted to play on and what star he wanted to play with. Nothing was off limits. And no team was safe. It didn’t matter what Oklahoma City had done to make George happy over the past two seasons, just as it didn’t matter how much Toronto had done with Kawhi.

There was nothing Masai could do. And while Kawhi's end goal was delayed by one year, he did come here for a season and gave this franchise everything he had. I don't think anyone in management or the city would change the outcome, even if it stings a little now.

With that said, while I don't think Kawhi will ever regret going home, time will tell whether it was the right basketball decision. There are quite few questions, and it'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Kawhi has been very up front about how health is his top priority, and how important "load management" was in enabling him to finish the playoffs. But the Raptors were in a unique situation to be able to take that approach.

• The entire organization (management and players) were willing to handle Kawhi with kid gloves because of how rare it was to have a player of his calibre in Toronto, and they were doing anything they could to recruit him to stay.
• The league didn't care that much, because the Raptors are up in Canada and don't get many prime-time US national games.
• The Raptors played in a relatively weak conference and could afford to sit their best player for 20+ games and still finish in the top 3.
LA might be a different story.

• Leonard is locked in for 4 years. They don't need to recruit him anymore. Are they willing to sit him for 1/4 of the season, even if he's healthy? And are players like George, Beverley and Williams going to sour on a guy who gets that type of special treatment, when they're putting their bodies on the line for the entire season?
• The Clippers are now the league's premier team, alongside the Lakers. They will be on national TV in the US every single week. They will be the hottest ticket on the road. Adam Silver has gone on record that how Toronto handled Kawhi was a "unique, one-off approach" and he doesn't think load management is acceptable around the league. How much pressure will the league exert on the Clippers to have Kawhi in the lineup as much as humanly possible?
• The West is going to be an absolute dogfight. Home court and favorable 1st, 2nd round matchups will be incredibly important. How much "coasting" will the Clippers be able to do?
I have no doubt that Kawhi's next 4 years would have been more comfortable if he had stayed in Toronto. The toll on his body and time would have been less. But the allure of going home superseded that. We'll see how it goes!

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Only because of his relationship with Ujiri.

I think Raptors fans are reaching in regards to that.

Giannis is a pretty loyal guy, in the same mold as Dame. I'm not sure his ostensible indebtedness to Masai for something nearly 10 years prior will factor into his decision to leave a Milwaukee team right in the beginning of its championship window- after all, Middleton, Bledsoe and Lopez are all signed long term for at least the next 3 years.

TTT.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Giannis is a pretty loyal guy, in the same mold as Dame. I'm not sure his ostensible indebtedness to Masai for something nearly 10 years prior will factor into his decision to leave a Milwaukee team right in the beginning of its championship window- after all, Middleton, Bledsoe and Lopez are all signed long term for at least the next 3 years.

TTT.

I agree, its a stretch to the say the least.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

TTT.

Probably does more to ensure it doesn't happen sooner than later.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Trey Lyles is now unrestricted after the Nuggets acquired Jerami Grant. I would like to see him brought in on a deal similar to Stanley Johnson's. Took a big step back last year dealing with injuries.

Reactions: ER89

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Said player joining a Masai team in the short term. I think that may happen the next contract after. I am saying Masai won't poach him.

So you're saying not in 2021 when Giannis is a UFA, but his next contract after that?

Giannis is turning 27 when he's a UFA. After 4-5 years he won't be worth it anymore, really. Especially with how much of his game is predicated on his physical gifts.

If that were someone like Kevin Durant- now 31- who can shoot 3s and is an elite iso scorer from all over the court? Sure. But not Giannis.

TTT.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So you're saying not in 2021 when Giannis is a UFA, but his next contract after that?

Giannis is turning 27 when he's a UFA. After 4-5 years he won't be worth it anymore, really. Especially with how much of his game is predicated on his physical gifts.

If that were someone like Kevin Durant- now 31- who can shoot 3s and is an elite iso scorer from all over the court? Sure. But not Giannis.

TTT.

Oh, ok. I have new found interest and don't know all the ins and outs yet. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad