Raptors Discussion: V84 | One More | Next game : Jun 13, 9pm ET/6pm PT | RAPTORS LEAD SERIES 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm pretty sure it has happened a few times in the past.

EDIT: Had a quick look on Google, 2013 and 2002 were the previous two years when NBA ended their season before NHL did.

Thanks for posting this because I was wondering.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
GSW seems to be trying to play mind games at this desperate hour but I wonder if the Raptors even care on any psychological level?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What? he had a contract he wanted to finish. If I remember correctly his team was in a fight for the championship. He was also label one of best outside the NBA. Won mvp for his league a couple times while only age 20/21. ESPN had a spread about him while Toronto was waiting for him and some called him the steal of the draft at 5. The wait wasn't because of his ability.

He has been in league for 6/7 years already, so thats already close to an average life span of an NBA player, it has already past the label of a short stint. Why you said it will be a short stint is confusing. He did just put up 20 and 10 in Memphis with some big games so im thinking he will be there starter for awhile especially as they are rebuilding.

Solid is being a starter for most of your career so far and and putting up solid numbers along the way. Did he fall short of what was expected, yeah but that has alot to do with his type of centers dying out with the new nba. Still though he did pretty well for himself considering most of his breed are out of the league now.

He is the 7th best player from his draft year so I would say it was a good pick by Toronto. Just look who was pick around him could of been a bust. It was also where he was projected, I still remember how happy the staff was when Cleveland took Thomson. I think your questioning the pick because he was another euro.

So yes as a 5th pick his career has been solid and it will continue to be for I would guess another few years. He has a great attitude and players and coaches seems to love him. Those types of guys usually have long shelf life.

Ridiculous! Stop acting like TOR has never ever had a sorted history of drafting. They drafted Bargnani and it turned out flat. Same with many more. I didn't care for TOR drafting JV and just so turns out that they are playing well without him. Could they have turned a corner with him? It's starting to look like the answer is no. I don't have to like the Araujo, Bargnani, and JV draft. So sue me! I happen to have the sorted history of TOR's drafting to fall back on.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ridiculous! Stop acting like TOR has never ever had a sorted history of drafting. They drafted Bargnani and it turned out flat. Same with many more. I didn't care for TOR drafting JV and just so turns out that they are playing well without him. Could they have turned a corner with him? It's starting to look like the answer is no. I don't have to like the Araujo, Bargnani, and JV draft. So sue me! I happen to have the sorted history of TOR's drafting to fall back on.
JV and Bargnani shouldn't ever be grouped in with Araujo. Araujo was terrible at the time and terrible in the result. I remember being in Europe at the time for a vacation and checking ESPN from an internet cafe for that draft and wondering wtf we just did, especially considering Iguodala went next.

Bargnani and JV didn't live up to some of the expectations around them, but relative to the players taken around them, they weren't massive disappointments. Bargnani is a massive disappointment for 1st overall, but when you realize the league changed the rules that year, not allowing high-schoolers in (costing that class Oden, and Durant), its understandable. Yes, Aldridge would have been the better pick, but its not like the other 2 candidates to go ahead of Bargnani were good players (Morrison and Tyrus Thomas), and Brandon Roy while having a very high peak had his career destroyed by knee troubles. There is a legitimate argument that Lowry (along with Aldridge) is the best player from that draft. JV was a fine pick. JV is best by a couple guys taken after him, notably Kawhi, Thompson and Butler, but he's still a solid pick at 5.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Kevin Durant is officially listed as questionable for tomorrows game 5.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
What history? It's ok to say you don't like jv draft but you can't say he wasn't a good pick and a solid player cuz the proof is there for you to look at. What corner are we talking about, he didn't fit the raptors style and gasol was better suited for it. For the 6 and half year that he was here he wS a solid player for Toronto. They also had great record with him and dermar. The corner was never turning until the day Toronto got kawhi. The last couple years he had to change his game and he did just not enough to say no to a gasol trade.

Toronto has had a good drafting history so I don't know what your talking about. Mighty mouse, jameson/Carter, bosh, Ross, Camby, MO Pete, bender, Charlie v, siakim, og, dermar and of course jv. That's a very good stable of players for where they were pick. Have they had some bad ones yea, but the good have out weigh the bad so I don't know what history your looking at.

Again no one has said you can't dislike drafting jv, which I don't know why you wouldn't, we are saying your wrong saying he is not a solid pick. Tell me this history that you think you can sort and fall back on. I'd like to hear it. Toronto has had a 75 percent hit rate on their picks and where they were pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Durants conditioning probably isnt great right now + the calf injury will make it hard on him.

Raptors will have to continue to push the pace to make it hard on Durant to keep up.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
To be fair, a 60-70% Durant is miles better than most players in the NBA.
I don't know about most and miles ahead but he would still be a cover for someone even as a decoy. 60/70 Durant is better then a mkinnie, jerebko or a cook that is a guarantee. It won't be kd that beats Toronto it will be the other 3 if Toronto lose. I would worry if it got to 7 though that's when I think kd would be most effective

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
JV and Bargnani shouldn't ever be grouped in with Araujo. Araujo was terrible at the time and terrible in the result. I remember being in Europe at the time for a vacation and checking ESPN from an internet cafe for that draft and wondering wtf we just did, especially considering Iguodala went next.

Bargnani and JV didn't live up to some of the expectations around them, but relative to the players taken around them, they weren't massive disappointments. Bargnani is a massive disappointment for 1st overall, but when you realize the league changed the rules that year, not allowing high-schoolers in (costing that class Oden, and Durant), its understandable. Yes, Aldridge would have been the better pick, but its not like the other 2 candidates to go ahead of Bargnani were good players (Morrison and Tyrus Thomas), and Brandon Roy while having a very high peak had his career destroyed by knee troubles. There is a legitimate argument that Lowry (along with Aldridge) is the best player from that draft. JV was a fine pick. JV is best by a couple guys taken after him, notably Kawhi, Thompson and Butler, but he's still a solid pick at 5.
Also jv expectations got sky-high because of the season he had after being drafted. He was hyped all around even with the ESPN guys. He also won mvp of his league and lead them to a championship game? If I remember correctly. Also had some very good international tournaments. That's what got people excited about him and his future.

His expectations should of changed when the new style nba came in. True bigs and post up game was not as important as a big needing to be able to shoot 3. But look what he did with Memphis in this 19 games, 20/10 with monster games in there because they are using him correctly. To his skill set.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Even if he plays, he won't be 100%. You don't just get thrown into a finals and look great as if you didn't miss time. He won't make up the difference between the 2 teams.
I wouldn’t feel comfortable to say that. Durant is a top 3 player. We know Kawhi isn’t at 100% and he’s locked in. Durant has the same capability assuming he’s at 60-70%.

Reactions: AreBe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know about most and miles ahead but he would still be a cover for someone even as a decoy. 60/70 Durant is better then a mkinnie, jerebko or a cook that is a guarantee. It won't be kd that beats Toronto it will be the other 3 if Toronto lose. I would worry if it got to 7 though that's when I think kd would be most effective

Maybe you just leave him open and keep smothering the other two. Or attack him with speed, speed, speed to put as much stress on that calf as possible. Look at Cousins. He was big in Game 2 but the wear and tear against Ibaka and Gasol has really limited his effectiveness and probably aggravated his injuries. That attrition game is key especially against guys not 100%.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Kawhi Leonard has zombied both teams with his no give the press a single thing. His teammates are utilizing it better than the cocky Warriors.

I actually enjoy watching his press conferences now. this guy must have put in tons of work, into being this deadpan.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Maybe you just leave him open and keep smothering the other two. Or attack him with speed, speed, speed to put as much stress on that calf as possible. Look at Cousins. He was big in Game 2 but the wear and tear against Ibaka and Gasol has really limited his effectiveness and probably aggravated his injuries. That attrition game is key especially against guys not 100%.
Yrah you gotta attack him both end but not with your best guys those guys should be for the other two. You gotta make him work for everything while he is on though and not let him get comfortable. Perfect time to use your bench on him cuz he will be rusty and yiu can throw away fouls on him need be.

I think he will play about 22 minuts if he does at all. I believe tthe biggest thing is you gotta challenge his change of direction cuz that's where his calf will be tested. I don't think you need kwahi on him though for this game that's for sure save kwahi for a shitty outcome if needed. Its gonna be fun if he does play cuz it was starting to feel to easy cuz im a Toronto fan I'm not use to shit being easy

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What history? It's ok to say you don't like jv draft but you can't say he wasn't a good pick and a solid player cuz the proof is there for you to look at. What corner are we talking about, he didn't fit the raptors style and gasol was better suited for it. For the 6 and half year that he was here he wS a solid player for Toronto. They also had great record with him and dermar. The corner was never turning until the day Toronto got kawhi. The last couple years he had to change his game and he did just not enough to say no to a gasol trade.

Toronto has had a good drafting history so I don't know what your talking about. Mighty mouse, jameson/Carter, bosh, Ross, Camby, MO Pete, bender, Charlie v, siakim, og, dermar and of course jv. That's a very good stable of players for where they were pick. Have they had some bad ones yea, but the good have out weigh the bad so I don't know what history your looking at.

Again no one has said you can't dislike drafting jv, which I don't know why you wouldn't, we are saying your wrong saying he is not a solid pick. Tell me this history that you think you can sort and fall back on. I'd like to hear it. Toronto has had a 75 percent hit rate on their picks and where they were pick.

Wilfully ignorant is the new Ind of trolling around here. I am not commenting further.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yrah you gotta attack him both end but not with your best guys those guys should be for the other two. You gotta make him work for everything while he is on though and not let him get comfortable. Perfect time to use your bench on him cuz he will be rusty and yiu can throw away fouls on him need be.

I think he will play about 22 minuts if he does at all. I believe tthe biggest thing is you gotta challenge his change of direction cuz that's where his calf will be tested. I don't think you need kwahi on him though for this game that's for sure save kwahi for a ****ty outcome if needed. Its gonna be fun if he does play cuz it was starting to feel to easy cuz im a Toronto fan I'm not use to **** being easy

Yeah just throw your whole bench at him and make him feel uncomfortable.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Was just wondering why this one is 9 p.m. start - TV coverage I guess (7 p.m. is too early for California?)

That's what a commercial world is

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Was just wondering why this one is 9 p.m. start - TV coverage I guess (7 p.m. is too early for California?)

Every game except game 2 has been a 9pm start time

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

West coast viewers in general. Even when it was Spurs vs the Heat it was generally a 9pm start despite Miami being EST and San Antonio being CST. The games would also never start before 8pm because ABC doesn't gain control of its affiliates until 8 o'clock.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Wilfully ignorant is the new Ind of trolling around here. I am not commenting further.
Haha bro show me where I'm wrong. How am my trolling. I've been as big a fan of the raptors as I have been the Leafs since their existence. My whole crew are basketball fans first, this is what we do, pools, fantasy, draft partys since Vince Era.

Prove me wrong then, cuz I can prove that statment correct pretty easily. 19 of 21 first rounder have played significant time or will play significant time in the NBA. 14 have been starters in the NBA for more then a few season. 7 all NBA rookie, 6 all Stars, 2 all NBA, 1 all defense and all that out of 5 top 5 picks where you got the best chance of hitting. Look any other team in that time span. 2 complete bust in all that time ND maybe bruno but he is now getting plying time.

So yeah who the trolling one and who the one talking out of their ass or the guy walking away with his tail between his legs. So yeah instead of calling Someone a troll maybe just admit you don't know shit.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
GSW seems to be trying to play mind games at this desperate hour but I wonder if the Raptors even care on any psychological level?
I don't think they're playing mind games. They said he had to get 1 practice in and he did that for the first time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad