Raptors Discussion: V84 | One More | Next game : Jun 13, 9pm ET/6pm PT | RAPTORS LEAD SERIES 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Valanciunaswasn't a head-scratching pick. He was a solid one.

I beg to differ. He's ok, but TOR had to wait a while for him to start playing for the team. I think his stint in the NBA will be short lived. "Solid"? What is "solid"? Hall of Fame? Above average? Long and successful career? Perhaps?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I beg to differ. He's ok, but TOR had to wait a while for him to start playing for the team. I think his stint in the NBA will be short lived. "Solid"? What is "solid"? Hall of Fame? Above average? Long and successful career? Perhaps?

Health permitting, he'll definitely have a long and successful career. Being a high usage player on a team like the Grizzlies will help solidify himself as an all-star calibre C in the same mould as Nikola Vucevic. I'd say as it currently stands, the only three guys that were picked in the 2011 lotto that are better than him are Irving (1-1), Walker (1-9), and Thompson (1-11). Kemba and Klay were not considered top 5 talents like JV was so it's not as simple as saying "they should've picked one of those guys, or Kawhi, or Butler."

And out of those drafted only Kanter, Harris, and Bertans were younger (same birth year), so yeah, what a shame for JV to play another year in Lithuania, win an MVP, and then come over.

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
RzAID3e.jpg

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Nick Nurse has really impressed the heck out of me with his coaching, he is significantly better than Casey.

He's done a fantastic job of playing a relatively flat gameplan the first couple of games, figuring out the weaknesses and adjusting brilliantly. Its happened in each of the last three series. Obviously helps when you have a roster full of intelligent players who can also execute on the plan.

There's some noise in it, but they're 3-5 in Games 1/2 and 12-2 the rest of the way.

Reactions: 1specter

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
pretty awesome I had said raptors would win it in game 5 in Toronto. hopefully its a big lead in the last couple minutes so the celebration wont be full on anxiety .
I have to believe Durant wont be playing. hes a pending free agent who will not chance getting hurt or re injuring himself .

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

He's a good, starting-caliber center surviving in a league where most of his compatriots are dying a slow death of positional irrelevance. That's "solid" Of course it doesn't mean "hall of fame" Why would it? It also means he was a reasonable selection relative to draft rankings/expectations. He was easily and widely considered a top 4-8 selection in most mocks from 2011 that I've seen. The Raptors didn't reach. They didn't gamble. They didn't go full Araujo or get lulled into picking Bargnani at #1 in one of the worst draft classes of the last couple decades. They used their pick to take a guy who fit what they wanted and was evaluated by scouts to be appropriate to the spot where the Raptors were picking. Obvious hindsight says they would've been better off taking Thompson or Leonard or even Nik Vucevic, but none of them were considered top 5 pick potential at the time. Maybe they would'v been better off skill-wise with Kemba Walker, but with what the Raptors roster had at the time, an undersized ball-dominating scoring guard wasn't necessarily the best fit (and unlike the NHL or MLB drafts, fit is absolutely a factor when drafting NBA players.)

And his stint will be short? He's already played 7 seasons. That's more than a lot of players last. And it's not like he's in danger of washing out. He's still a reliable near double-double most of the time.

Finally Toronto didn't wait "a while". They drafted him in 2011 and he played in Lithuania for 11-12 before coming to the NBA in 12-13, and he spent that season prior to joining the NBA dominating the Euro leagues, racking up an MVP and numerous awards and plaudits, usefully developing before he came over instead of being thrust into the NBA starting lineup too soon or rotting at the end of the bench. Suggesting that hte fact that the Raptors had to wait a whole year to get him and that's a bad thing is asinine. The Spurs waited 3 years for Manu Ginobili. Denver waited a year for Nikola Jokic. It's not unheard of for good non-North-American players to develop for a year or two outside the NBA or wait out their Euro League contracts before they join the NBA. And even if it wasn't, it still wouldn't make it a bad pick if the player does eventually show up in the NBA and play well (which Valanciunas has)

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Uhh so if any of you are planning to go to Jurassic Park monday....the lineup started hours ago...

Just to repeat, the game is on Monday.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
pretty awesome I had said raptors would win it in game 5 in Toronto. hopefully its a big lead in the last couple minutes so the celebration wont be full on anxiety .
I have to believe Durant wont be playing. hes a pending free agent who will not chance getting hurt or re injuring himself .

Someone here predicted the BUCKS series, they would lose two on the road and win the next four. Home court ADV was HUGE...

Warriors are in unfamiliar territory, maybe they are exhausted like Doris Day suggested, all those years, wearing off.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Nick Nurse has really impressed the heck out of me with his coaching, he is significantly better than Casey.

He is gassing out their stars, making them work, Warriors support ain't there. Its like they're playing hero ball, and as I said, defence wins titles -- look at the last 3m of that g4. Raps are more HUNGRY.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
When we speak of Champions in the city of Toronto sadly bringing up the 1967 Leafs has reach a point where it’s embarrassing and not even relevant anymore, so we’ve been clinging to the 92’ and 93’ Blue Jays which itself is becoming more and more distant, but for the Raptors to be 1 win away from being Champions!?!

The city might very well have a parade! A long overdue one. Raptors just want it more and the Raptors defence is better than anything the Warriors ever saw against the Cavs.

For Kawhi to come in and lead this team to glory in his first year? Good things like this aren’t supposed to happen to Toronto sports, it’s unreal.

Reactions: Feliix

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The city might very well have a parade! A long overdue one. Raptors just want it more and the Raptors defence is better than anything the Warriors ever saw against the Cavs.

Obviously you didn't show up for the TFC MLS Champs parade ;)

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
It's the new age. 3s and layups is all they want anymore. The midrange game is a dying art.
Kawhi says otherwise. Players just aren't as good at is as they used to be because the multitalented 2 guards that used to exist, don't exist anymore.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Obviously you didn't show up for the TFC MLS Champs parade ;)

Meh, how big is the MLS really? I think many people have it a tier below the NHL, NBA, MLB. I don't think the MLS has reached that level yet. This Raptors run has captured more Tv viewers and general city buzz than TFC did.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Meh, how big is the MLS really? I think many people have it a tier below the NHL, NBA, MLB. I don't think the MLS has reached that level yet. This Raptors run has captured more Tv viewers and general city buzz than TFC did.

Oh it's definitely a tier below! I was just playing, although I did really enjoy seeing TFC win. Also as soon as I replied to you I opened twitter and saw this :laugh:

Last edited:

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Used to watch basketball in the Vince Carter days and started watching the last few weeks again and we're blown away by the number of 3 pointers that they attempt now. Looked it up and in 1999 the Raptors attempted 1171 three pointers and this season they attempted 2771. Both seasons have about the same percentage made. What happened in the last two decades? Did someone do a moneyball on basketball?

Yes, it was math driven as a 3pt shot that goes in 33% of the time counts the same as a 2pt that does 50%. It makes way more sense to take a 3 than a 2 from 20 feet which goes in almost the same amount of time.

Maybe the biggest reason to take 3s though is space. Imagine this team with Valanciunas and Derozan instead of Gasol and Green. Valanciunas defender would be able to stay within 5 feet of the basket, and Derozan's within 15 feet. When Kawhi or Siakam drives to the basket there would be an extra center in the paint to get through, in addition to a perimeter player close enough to rotate over. On a team with Kawhi I would rather have Green on offense than Derozan (let alone defense). Derozan would be in the way more and take his shots. Green can make an impact offensively just by standing at the 3pt line.

Likewise the Warriors titles were built on how Curry and Klay are such good shooters that teams have to spread themselves out trying to guard them

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
He's really improved over the course of the season. Earlier on he was Casey-like in his reluctance to make in-game adjustments, but in he's grown a great deal in that regard. He was also slow in calling timeouts during opponents runs, but now he seems to have a better instinct for when to do it.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Someone here predicted the BUCKS series, they would lose two on the road and win the next four. Home court ADV was HUGE...

Warriors are in unfamiliar territory, maybe they are exhausted like Doris Day suggested, all those years, wearing off.

Did LeBron ever receive that excuse during his near-decade long run to the finals? I find it unprofessional how many of the pundits can't seem to give credit to the Raptors. Kendrick Perkins seems to be the only level-headed guy on air right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad