Raptors Discussion: V84 | One More | Next game : Jun 13, 9pm ET/6pm PT | RAPTORS LEAD SERIES 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I have a strange feeling stirring in me. It's kind of a positive feeling that something good might happen to a team I'm cheering for.

I'm usually fully of anxiousness about the crash and fall and burn and pain.

But maybe... maybe no crash this time?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have a strange feeling stirring in me. It's kind of a positive feeling that something good might happen to a team I'm cheering for.

Zero anxiety here, just quiet confidence.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I think of this exact same feeling and I have no idea how I'm supposed to handle it.... What does one do when on the cusp of something huge?

Reactions: willmma

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
The fact that we have two attempts on home court to win is incredible to me. I didn't think we'd be in this spot.

Hopefully it doesn't take the 2nd chance at it. Losing 2 would be immense pressure going to game 7. Get it done at home or end it in Oakland.

Celtics fan but really pulling for Toronto!

Last edited:

Jun 27, 2005
Used to watch basketball in the Vince Carter days and started watching the last few weeks again and we're blown away by the number of 3 pointers that they attempt now. Looked it up and in 1999 the Raptors attempted 1171 three pointers and this season they attempted 2771. Both seasons have about the same percentage made. What happened in the last two decades? Did someone do a moneyball on basketball?

Last edited:

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Used to watch basketball in the Vince Carter days and started watching the last few weeks again and we're blown away but the number of 3 pointers that they attempt now. Looked it up and in 1999 the Raptors attempted 1171 three pointers and this season they attempted 2771. Both seasons have about the same percentage made. What happened in the last two decades? Did someone do a moneyball on basketball?
Ya. They are called the Golden State Warriors

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Used to watch basketball in the Vince Carter days and started watching the last few weeks again and we're blown away but the number of 3 pointers that they attempt now. Looked it up and in 1999 the Raptors attempted 1171 three pointers and this season they attempted 2771. Both seasons have about the same percentage made. What happened in the last two decades? Did someone do a moneyball on basketball?

Steve Kerr and Stephen Curry happened.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

It's the new age. 3s and layups is all they want anymore. The midrange game is a dying art.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The fact that we have two attempts on home court to win is incredible to me. I didn't think we'd be in this spot.

Can’t think that way. Their chance to close out is Game 5. If it drags to Game 7 there’s problems.

Reactions: MsMeow

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What happened in the last two decades? Did someone do a moneyball on basketball?

Players just got so good at shooting, to the point where putting up a 3 is frequently the best option for your team, unless it's a wide open lay up. A lot of people like the "modern" NBA, i personally think the style of play has it's issues. But overall still a fun product.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Used to watch basketball in the Vince Carter days and started watching the last few weeks again and we're blown away by the number of 3 pointers that they attempt now. Looked it up and in 1999 the Raptors attempted 1171 three pointers and this season they attempted 2771. Both seasons have about the same percentage made. What happened in the last two decades? Did someone do a moneyball on basketball?

I called this back in 2013 and 2014. I read an article on BR that had some math involved and I crunched the numbers myself. Essentially, the math is simple. 3 > 2, and if you compare the averages league wide when it comes to mid range versus 3, the disparity between the obviously higher field goal percentage (that being easier to hit a mid range) and shooting a 3 is not enough to warrant a lot of mid range shooting. Shooting 35 percent from 3 will have a greater overall effect than shooting 45 percent from mid range (and that's on the higher end). It's literally more efficient to shoot more 3s, especially when shooters have gotten better.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
How good is this run for exposing the rest of the NBA to what Toronto is and possibly changing the reputation of this city as a place for stars to come to ?

I’ve heard that both Stoudamire and McGrady really regret their decision to leave

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If TOR clinch I'll come in here and eat crow. I never said that "TOR sucks", but there were some dark years. It was so disheartening when players like Alonzo Mourning refused to dress for the team. There was an attitude that players didn't want to play in Canada. It also was reinforced by the type of drafting they did: Araujo, Bargnani, Valenciuanas, etc. These picks always seemed backwards or induced major head scratching.

Anyway great. I'm so glad they keep proving me wrong.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If TOR clinch I'll come in here and eat crow. I never said that "TOR sucks", but there were some dark years. It was so disheartening when players like Alonzo Mourning refused to dress for the team. There was an attitude that players didn't want to play in Canada. It also was reinforced by the type of drafting they did: Araujo, Bargnani, Valenciuanas, etc. These picks always seemed backwards or induced major head scratching.

Anyway great. I'm so glad they keep proving me wrong.

Valanciunas wasn't a head-scratching pick. He was a solid one.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How good is this run for exposing the rest of the NBA to what Toronto is and possibly changing the reputation of this city as a place for stars to come to ?

I’ve heard that both Stoudamire and McGrady really regret their decision to leave

Don't see why Toronto can't be a destination city in the NBA being so multicultural as well as having top notch branding.

They kind of remind me of the Brooklyn Nets in some ways: celebrity tie ins and edgy branding.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm really enjoying this run by the Raptors and I'm a fan of the team and all that. But for some reason watching them go so far and the city get behind them makes the Leafs early elimination sting all the more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->