Raptors Discussion: v46|#WeTheNorth | Guttin' out wins all the way to the top (avatars: post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ugh, Toronto sports radio is so clueless. They are so dismissive of the Raptors' fanbase, calling it a trend. Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji are idiots, stick to the CFL please. Sweeping generalization after sweeping generalization.

All everyone talks about are idiotic non-stories about the Leafs.. can we have some depth and detailed analysis please?
All I want is thorough coverage of the Jays, Raps and Leafs. All three of them. I don't feel the need to 'pick and choose.'

Sometimes it becomes abundantly clear that the hockey community is uncomfortable with minorities participating in or succeeding in the sport. It creates a catch-22 doesn't it? Essentially refuse to introduce the sport to new Canadians, and then complain they don't like it.. "THOSE DIRTY IMMIGRANTS DON'T RESPECT OUT TRADITIONS BLAH.. BLAH.. BLAH."

I almost think that there are undercurrents of racism in this city and its 'old guard' radio hosts. They are almost threatened by the Raptors fanbase, and how diverse it is. Quite frankly, it is a better representative of the Toronto I grew up in. Is this lack of homogeneity threatening to some people? The political situation in the city has dredged up some ugly feelings.

I hope the entire province rallies around this team. They already do this with the Jays, why not the Raps?

Last edited:

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I was just a little heated. If you base what sport you like on race/ethnicity of the players, you're an idiot. It's that simple.

And to be fair, the Raptors are getting a lot of glowing press here in the city. It's just upsetting even as a diehard Leafs fan that everything is secondary to some dumb decision to not salute the crowd.

My point is the Raptors have a lot to prove to the league, the US media and these homegrown journalists as well.

I just think that the fans of the Leafs, Jays and Raps are amongst the best in pro sports, and have been for a while now. We just need something to be excited about.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, I was just a little heated. If you base what sport you like on race/ethnicity of the players, you're an idiot. It's that simple.

And to be fair, the Raptors are getting a lot of glowing press here in the city. It's just upsetting even as a diehard Leafs fan that everything is secondary to some dumb decision to not salute the crowd.

My point is the Raptors have a lot to prove to the league, the US media and these homegrown journalists as well.

I just think that the fans of the Leafs, Jays and Raps are amongst the best in pro sports, and have been for a while now. We just need something to be excited about.

Yeah it's gonna take time, you have to realize even with the leafs being very bad they still get a lot of ratings, while the raptors have been one of the bigger laughing stocks of the NBA. If they keep things up, it'll start getting more equal. Also the thing is no tv channel has really "Adopted" the raptors.

Sportsnet had the jays beforehand and TSN had hockey.

Now Sportsnet have both the jays and leafs.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ugh, Toronto sports radio is so clueless. They are so dismissive of the Raptors' fanbase, calling it a trend. Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji are idiots, stick to the CFL please. Sweeping generalization after sweeping generalization.

All everyone talks about are idiotic non-stories about the Leafs.. can we have some depth and detailed analysis please?
All I want is thorough coverage of the Jays, Raps and Leafs. All three of them. I don't feel the need to 'pick and choose.'

Sometimes it becomes abundantly clear that the hockey community is uncomfortable with minorities participating in or succeeding in the sport. It creates a catch-22 doesn't it? Essentially refuse to introduce the sport to new Canadians, and then complain they don't like it.. "THOSE DIRTY IMMIGRANTS DON'T RESPECT OUT TRADITIONS BLAH.. BLAH.. BLAH."

I almost think that there are undercurrents of racism in this city and its 'old guard' radio hosts. They are almost threatened by the Raptors fanbase, and how diverse it is. Quite frankly, it is a better representative of the Toronto I grew up in. Is this lack of homogeneity threatening to some people? The political situation in the city has dredged up some ugly feelings.

I hope the entire province rallies around this team. They already do this with the Jays, why not the Raps?

Well, Kyle Lowry is on the cover of the new issue of sportsnet magazine. Yes, the same sportsnet magazine that epitomizes obsession when it comes to anything hockey related. That's a huge statement for the Raptors and basketball in Canada.

And honestly, we have one of the largest and most passionate fan bases in the NBA. Who cares what some ignorant radio hosts think, the proof is in the pudding. In fact, among the younger generation of Torontonians, it's not a stretch to say that the Raptors are more popular than the Leafs.

Also another thing, and this isn't a rebuttal to the quoted post, but rather a general public announcement... Let's stop this trend of putting down the Leafs in this thread (I am talking mainly to the Leaf fans). I am a die hard Raptors fan and have been since I was a little kid in their inaugural season. But I am also a die hard Leafs fan, always have been, always will be. But We need to stop this Raptors-Leafs rivalry, where we can't praise one without putting down the other. Let's start acting like Boston, New York, Chicago, and other major sports markets where it is the NORM to be passionate about all of your local teams.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
I agree with you. I'm not egging on some stupid rivalry. I think it's dumb.
I grew up a fan of the Raptors, Jays and Leafs. Love them all.
I vehemently disagree with downplaying one in favour of another. I enjoy all three, as do a lot of others.

I speak for a lot of individuals my age. I just can't stand divisive people who want us to pick and choose. We are a legitimate sports market, time to start acting like a major market with all these teams.

Also, Lebanese Leaf, aren't you a Packers fan?

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I agree with you. I'm not egging on some stupid rivalry. I think it's dumb.
I grew up a fan of the Raptors, Jays and Leafs. Love them all.
I vehemently disagree with downplaying one in favour of another. I enjoy all three, as do a lot of others.

I speak for a lot of individuals my age. I just can't stand divisive people who want us to pick and choose. We are a legitimate sports market, time to start acting like a major market with all these teams.

Also, Lebanese Leaf, aren't you a Packers fan?

Whatever you do don't go to RealGM you'd hate it. They hate on the Leafs so bad there.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It's the reason why Tim & Sid is the best show. They talk about everything, not just hockey.

They're also entertaining and don't have idiotic views on certain things. I understand you have the right to your opinion but some people on sports radio, really?

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
While the CFL contemplates decreasing ratings, the Toronto Raptors are watching theirs rise. They aren't exactly in the big leagues of Canadian TV ratings yet, but things are definitely looking up for the Raptors. Their Friday game against Milwaukee drew 365,000 to TSN and they attracted a strong audience of 283,000 going head-to-head with Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday. It's amazing what winning can do.

1. NHL, Habs-Bruins/Wings-Leafs/Pens-Isles, Saturday, CBC/Rogers: 2,200,000

2. CFL, Eskimos at Stampeders, Sunday, TSN: 1,505,000

3. CFL, Alouettes at Tiger-Cats, Sunday, TSN: 1,234,000

4. NHL, Devils at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 894,000

5. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, CBC/Rogers: 717,000

6. NFL, Lions-Pats/Packer-Vikes, Sunday, CTV: 635,000

7. NFL, Dolphins-Broncos/Cards-Seahawks, Sunday, CTV2: 530,000

8. NFL, Cowboys at Giants, Sunday, TSN: 481,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

9. NHL, Canadiens at Rangers, Sunday, City: 437,000

10. NHL, Blackhawks at Canucks, Sunday, Sportsnet Pacific: 412,000

11. NBA, Bucks at Raptors, Friday, TSN: 365,000

12. Curling, Grand Slam National semis, Saturday, Sportsnet: 354,000

13. Curling, Grand Slam National final, Sunday, Sportsnet: 349,000

14. NBA, Raptors at Bulls, Saturday, TSN: 283,000

15. Figure skating, Trophee Bompard, Saturday, CBC: 235,000

Raps ratings keep increasing steadily. It's a beautiful thing. This doesn't even factor in people streaming online.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
They're also entertaining and don't have idiotic views on certain things. I understand you have the right to your opinion but some people on sports radio, really?

They're knowledgable across so many sports between the two of them. They can talk extensively about NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA, European soccer, CIS, Olympics. And when they don't know something, they are cool enough to admit their own ignorance and even poke fun at themselves. They don't stubbornly defend their point or try to sound smart when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

Take for example Bryan Hayes, who I am a fan of, but is not as good as Tim and Sid. Today on his show he had a local Raptors reporter on (forget which one) and he asked "Do you think it would be smart if Casey started putting the cart before the horse and resting his starters more? These guys don't need to be playing big minutes against teams like Philly." If Bryan had been paying attention, he'd know that in all of our blowouts, our starters have gotten benched late in games. Against Bucks last week, starters oly got ~25 mins. Same thing against Philly. The average viewer would notice this, so a major radio hosts should know things like this when discussing/criticizing the coach on the air.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
They're knowledgable across so many sports between the two of them. They can talk extensively about NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA, European soccer, CIS, Olympics. And when they don't know something, they are cool enough to admit their own ignorance and even poke fun at themselves. They don't stubbornly defend their point or try to sound smart when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

Take for example Bryan Hayes, who I am a fan of, but is not as good as Tim and Sid. Today on his show he had a local Raptors reporter on (forget which one) and he asked "Do you think it would be smart if Casey started putting the cart before the horse and resting his starters more? These guys don't need to be playing big minutes against teams like Philly." If Bryan had been paying attention, he'd know that in all of our blowouts, our starters have gotten benched late in games. Against Bucks last week, starters oly got ~25 mins. Same thing against Philly. The average viewer would notice this, so a major radio hosts should know things like this when discussing/criticizing the coach on the air.

Yeah this pretty much is it. I honestly prefer some people not talk about basketball because they literally do not know anything about it. I enjoy listening to Tim & Sid cause it isn't the same thing for 3 hours. In 3 hours they can go from raptors, to jays, to real madrid to mcmaster football to god knows what.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think the fact that Toronto, or the Toronto sports media at large, are less connected to the Raptors than the Leafs and Jays has to do with history. The Leafs are the Leafs. An iconic NHL franchises with decades of history and success and stuff to wax poetic about even if they're in danger of reaching the point where no one under the age of 50 remembers them winning a Stanley Cup. The Blue Jays too have 92-93 and a whole period of time from the late-late 80s through those championships where they were an elite MLB franchise. That gives an anchor for a lot of people as well. But the Raptors are.... well, the Raptors. They've lost more than they've won, they've never made it past the 2nd round in the small handful of times they've even made the playoffs. They've had exactly 1 dominant, league-wide superstar in his prime on the franchise in 20 years. And they're playing in a city/country that just doesn't have much in the way of basketball history to embed the sport in the hearts and minds of the populous (and yes, I'm saying that in spite of the fact that it was a Canadian who created the game and a Canadian team that was part of the first ever game in the league that became the NBA.)

I don't think it has to do with culture or background or some sort of desire by the media to keep the Raptors down or off the radar. I just think that they've not done anything yet to really embed themselves in the sporting consciousness.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I hate these Wednesday games always being on ET. It's too early for me to be home today, which means quietly watching on a tablet with no sound.

Play later dammit! :laugh:

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It's so key to have a big that shoots free throws at the rate of wing players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad