Raptors Discussion: v46|#WeTheNorth | Guttin' out wins all the way to the top (avatars: post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen 48m48 minutes ago
Highest PERs in the EC: 1. LeBron; 2. Wade (8 games); 3. Lou Williams; 4. Kyle Lowry; 5. Jonas Valanciunas

Thought this was pretty cool. Also, don't trade JV until you give him 30+ minutes to see what he can really do. Not many athletic centers out there who can play a post up game and make jump shots (JV ability to hit FT is huge too -- there is potential to expand his mid-range game).

Yeah anyone who wants to trade JV needs to forget that thought right now.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Hey guys habs fan here, but I just wanna say that the Raps are a blast to follow this year and I'm also looking forward to the Jays hopefully making it to the dance next season. You got some good things going down there in TO even if the leafs aren't always treating you right, I'm cheering for you guys ;)

Shwaguy*

JV averaging 16/9.5/1.5 blocks over his last 5 games

on .700 shooting

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen 48m48 minutes ago
Highest PERs in the EC: 1. LeBron; 2. Wade (8 games); 3. Lou Williams; 4. Kyle Lowry; 5. Jonas Valanciunas

Thought this was pretty cool. Also, don't trade JV until you give him 30+ minutes to see what he can really do. Not many athletic centers out there who can play a post up game and make jump shots (JV ability to hit FT is huge too -- there is potential to expand his mid-range game).

Funny enough, LeBron is ranked 9th overall.

JV averaging 16/9.5/1.5 blocks over his last 5 games

on .700 shooting

Overall he's shooting .594/.807 with a .661 true shooting percentage. Only starters with better TS% at C are Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan. His rebound rate is on par with Vucevic and Howard.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is this really, really good, or are you saying it's [the-u-word] production?

Some of its clearly unsustainable, Jordan and Chandler pretty much only dunk, whereas Jonas is willing to take more risks in his shot selection, no one can shoot 70% in the NBA for along period of time without choosing not to take shots he should. But a lot of this shows he can be an all star big man and is arguably the best true center in the east with arguments that could be made for Vucevic and Drummond (who is drastically under-performing right now).

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Some of its clearly unsustainable, Jordan and Chandler pretty much only dunk, whereas Jonas is willing to take more risks in his shot selection, no one can shoot 70% in the NBA for along period of time without choosing not to take shots he should. But a lot of this shows he can be an all star big man and is arguably the best true center in the east with arguments that could be made for Vucevic and Drummond (who is drastically under-performing right now).

Vucevic is the best

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Vucevic also has the luxury of playing 35 minutes a game. Wish Valanciunas could get that much time on the floor.

If Orlando had the depth, I don't think you'd see him playing 35 minutes a game. Specially in an 82 game season.

I'd like to see all our starters almost play 35 minutes a game playoff time. For now, I'm happy with limiting their minutes as much as we can as long as we keep winning.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If Orlando had the depth, I don't think you'd see him playing 35 minutes a game. Specially in an 82 game season.

I'd like to see all our starters almost play 35 minutes a game playoff time. For now, I'm happy with limiting their minutes as much as we can as long as we keep winning.

Oh for sure, depth helps keep them healthy for playoff time. Just the stats look significantly more appealing because of the amount of time he spends on the floor. Overall the only thing Vucevic really does better is pass, but Valanciunas is also the better blocker.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
There is absolutely no reason for anyone to even start entertaining the thought of trading Val. The guys has the potential to be an absolute beast he's getting better but I still think he should be upwards of 30 mins a night and atm I don't believe he's getting close to that. And even when he is having foul trouble it's no reason to take the big guy out of the game for such long stretches, he's more valuable on the floor then he is on the bench and Casey needs to realize this.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
our goal should be upgrading the four spot, no disrespect to Amir. but if ross keeps on developing Ross/JJ is a good SF rotation that brings two different looks. just need a big time PF.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
You only trade Val if you get a re-signed superstar back. Not an all-star. Superstar. Kid is a stud now. He's going to be very good if not elite in a couple of seasons.

I think Casey is keeping his minutes down probably because he played a lot this summer and also the fact that he gets into foul trouble a lot. He also likes to play more vets in the 4th. A combination of these is why J-Val is getting sub-30 minute games.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
jail.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Vucevic is the best

Agreed.

Oh for sure, depth helps keep them healthy for playoff time. Just the stats look significantly more appealing because of the amount of time he spends on the floor. Overall the only thing Vucevic really does better is pass, but Valanciunas is also the better blocker.

Disagree. Against us he showed the kind of speed and agility slashing to the rim that I don't think we'll ever see from JV.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Lmao if it aint broke don't fix it. We can't have all stars at every position, trading jv would be dumb........

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Does this team remind anyone of Detroit Pistons of the early to mid 2000s at all? I don't know, I am just asking. It kinda does, no? A really great team without any big superstars.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Does this team remind anyone of Detroit Pistons of the early to mid 2000s at all? I don't know, I am just asking. It kinda does, no? A really great team without any big superstars.

As far as the no superstars thing goes, sure, very similar. I think you could say the same to some degree to SA last year Duncan being way past his prime and all.

And I keep pointing to SA last year whenever somebody says you must have a superstar to win. Oh no you don't. Not only did SA win, they absolutely crushed Miami in the final.

The Raptors can win it all this year. Not saying they will, but they definitely have a shot. Masai has spoken about how important chemistry is, I believe this is so important, more so than in hockey for example. The Raps have chemistry up the wazoo and are a very well balanced team. A major trade risks messing this up and would be extremely foolish IMO. Fortunately since Masai seems to get this, I'm not too worried.

We're gonna roll with this lineup for a while looks like, sit back and enjoy the ride, it sure looks like it's going to more fun than you can shake a stick at. :nod:

Bluejaysfan*

I think Valanciunas has similar upside to DeMarcus Cousins...If he can reach Cousin's level of play this year consistently, the Raptors are title contenders.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I think Valanciunas has similar upside to DeMarcus Cousins...If he can reach Cousin's level of play this year consistently, the Raptors are title contenders.

I think that's crazy. Cousins is the best offensive center in the league (unless you want to count Davis as a center). Cousins is a monster who is putting up an absurd 26.5 points and 14.5 boards per 36. JV just doesn't have the offensive to be THAT good but he could be a 17-20 ppg and 9-11 boards guy, which is pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad