Raptors Discussion: v46|#WeTheNorth | Guttin' out wins all the way to the top (avatars: post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Perfect fits...

Andre Drummond - a double/double machine, just under 7 feet and thick
DeAndre Jordan - him and ross would get fed by lowry and GV, turning into a doubel/double guy, same size
Omer Asik - Last year would of been the best time to pick him up, but with davis there maybe he's moveable
Andrew Bogut - No way GSW moves him, but would be nice

And my favourite player
Joakim Noah - Everything we need wrapped up in one player. Would be amazing.

We'd have to give up a lot. What pieces can we move?

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
The suns were a great challenge for us. They were annoying in the 4th and it seemed even circus bad shots were going their way. It's great that we were able to hold on but I think we got lucky tonight. JV was huge for us tonight. We continue to lose another rebound battle though, seems to be a big weakness we have.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Perfect fits...

Andre Drummond - a double/double machine, just under 7 feet and thick
DeAndre Jordan - him and ross would get fed by lowry and GV, turning into a doubel/double guy, same size
Omer Asik - Last year would of been the best time to pick him up, but with davis there maybe he's moveable
Andrew Bogut - No way GSW moves him, but would be nice

And my favourite player
Joakim Noah - Everything we need wrapped up in one player. Would be amazing.
Those guys could possibly hurt our team in regards to offence. We rely heavily on the spacing provided which opens up driving lanes for Lowry and Derozan. A paint clogger who can't shoot would allow the defence to cheat and play more contained in the post. Its one of the main reason's getting rid of gay, starting ross and playing patterson with the 2nd unit helps so much. The perfect fit would be a buy like Horford (if he regains pre-injury form) He can hit the 18 footer, rebound and block shots and can play center with Jonas off and PF with him on.

Edit: Also none of those guys are getting traded, Asik was brought in to play center to allow davis to not have to deal with tough low post guys posting him up all game and allow him to roam as a shot blocker. Davis isn't a center, he's an elite all around power forward similar to a young garnett, he may move to center when he loses athleticism but thats more than 5 to 10 years away.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The suns were a great challenge for us. They were annoying in the 4th and it seemed even circus bad shots were going their way. It's great that we were able to hold on but I think we got lucky tonight. JV was huge for us tonight. We continue to lose another rebound battle though, seems to be a big weakness we have.

What luck? We were the better team tonight, we won fair and square. Can't win every game by a blowout score.

And to everyone trying to figure out who we need - just chill. Don't try to fix what aint broke. It's gonna be a fun season, just sit back and enjoy the ride. :yo:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Those guys could possibly hurt our team in regards to offence. We rely heavily on the spacing provided which opens up driving lanes for Lowry and Derozan. A paint clogger who can't shoot would allow the defence to cheat and play more contained in the post. Its one of the main reason's getting rid of gay, starting ross and playing patterson with the 2nd unit helps so much. The perfect fit would be a buy like Horford (if he regains pre-injury form) He can hit the 18 footer, rebound and block shots and can play center with Jonas off and PF with him on.

Edit: Also none of those guys are getting traded, Asik was brought in to play center to allow davis to not have to deal with tough low post guys posting him up all game and allow him to roam as a shot blocker. Davis isn't a center, he's an elite all around power forward similar to a young garnett, he may move to center when he loses athleticism but thats more than 5 to 10 years away.

Bang on

Guys like Bosh, Aldridge and Horford would be exactly what we need but obviously we're not exactly getting any of those guys

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Greg Monroe and Paul Millsap are legit targets next offseason.

Agree on Milsap, don't on Monroe unless we plan on moving Jonas, same problems as the other guys listed, way too much of a low post player to play along Jonas and would clog lanes. Since our team isn't lacking offence I'd keep Jonas as he has potential to be as good as Monroe offensively but is a significantly better low post defender.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Moving JV is a nonsense idea.

He is going to be a top 3 C in the NBA. Pure Cs are so hard to find, and having one can be a huge matchup advantage against certain teams (as you saw tonight).

Everyone needs to chill on the trade proposals right now altogether, don't fix what isn't broken.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Moving JV is a nonsense idea.

He is going to be a top 3 C in the NBA. Pure Cs are so hard to find, and having one can be a huge matchup advantage against certain teams (as you saw tonight).

Everyone needs to chill on the trade proposals right now altogether, don't fix what isn't broken.
Don't know if anyone actually openly suggested trading Jonas, for the record i'm against the idea. My main point was bringing in another low post player that the guy would have to atleast have range out to 18 otherwise it would negate the raptors biggest strength on offense at the moment which is spacing. This allows Derozan and Lowry to drive to the basket for easy buckets, kickouts or draw fouls. This team would not adapt well to a high post/low post big set up as we are succeeding right now due to having athletic but arguably undersized 4's who can run threw screens and can comfortably hit mid-range and in Patterson's case 3 pointers.

The league has shifted to a smaller dynamic due to hand checking rules and defensive changes which promotes ball movement, drive and kicks and 3 pointers to be successful. Guys who used to be Pf's are centers, small forwards are PF's and likewise all across positions. Very few lumbering bigs left. No top team outside of Memphis constantly plays with two strong low post players, but they play a slow down game with elite defenders in at least 3 positions (Conley, Allen, Gasol). Look at the spurs a team that originally was successful due to dominate low post play and defense shifting into a more passing team and going small at many opportunities.

So glad to have a team like the Raps right now in Toronto, I love the leafs but they are so painfully frustrating and i'd have little hope in them pulling out a win like Raps did vs Memphis and the Suns in the last week.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly all of the raps problems could be addressed with 1 player.

- They're a bottom 5 team in rebounding
- They get beat in the paint
- Their assists per 100 possessions is bottom 10

Just get a big guy in the paint who can kick the ball out. This team becomes elite.

This team is pretty much already elite.

Adding that kind of player would probably make us a championship favourite.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not a chance you trade JV. There's not many legit 7 foot centres with that offensive ability, or athleticism in the league. And he's still super young. The development curve to the NBA is way different especially coming from Europe. As long as he continues to improve again next year, you give him a long-term deal for decent amount of money. No reason to trade him.

I don't know how much money I want to lock in next off-season. Especially with DD having the opt out, and KD, and a bunch of other free agents in 2016, I don't think overpaying for a 4 in 2015 is a good idea, and the Raptors are close enough to winning a title, you don't add that big piece of cap when we have some decent flexibility right now, and depth.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
This team is just on another level right now. Just too ****ing good I love it

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The notion of trading JV is ludicrous. We could definitely use a mature backup centre as an upgrade until JV reaches his potential, but he is absolutely a building block for this franchise.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
not a raptors/basketball fan, but this team is def fun to watch. i think i'm going to buy tickets and catch them live.

way too exciting. you die-hard raps fans must be over the moon eh? :handclap:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Kyle Lowry is such a beast. Every game this guy is laying it all on the line. A true franchise player.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen 48m48 minutes ago
Highest PERs in the EC: 1. LeBron; 2. Wade (8 games); 3. Lou Williams; 4. Kyle Lowry; 5. Jonas Valanciunas

Thought this was pretty cool. Also, don't trade JV until you give him 30+ minutes to see what he can really do. Not many athletic centers out there who can play a post up game and make jump shots (JV ability to hit FT is huge too -- there is potential to expand his mid-range game).

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nice win for the Raptors, Refereeing was bad but calls went both ways.

Valanciunas has been great and so too Williams but it's a team sport and all the Guys have played really well and they were rewarded, #1 in the East.....Good Stuff!

:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad