Raptors Discussion: v45|#WeTheNorth|BRUUUUUUUNOOOOOO!!!!!! (avatars=post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Problem with Amir is that he just fouls so much. All these little ticky tack fouls are called against him. But yea I would be worried without him there as he is easily our best post defender

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Derozan, Lowry, Williams, Vasquez vs Bledsoe, Dragic, Green, Thomas

Hard to imagine a game with 8 better guards than this. Looking forward to tonight. Should be a shoot-out but I don't think we match up well with the Suns.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Derozan, Lowry, Williams, Vasquez vs Bledsoe, Dragic, Green, Thomas

Hard to imagine a game with 8 better guards than this. Looking forward to tonight. Should be a shoot-out but I don't think we match up well with the Suns.

They're probably thinking exactly the same thing.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. He's producing better then some starters. But realistically, his production will level out by the end of the season.

Yeah 6th man is hard... It usually goes to a guy who is really a starter, but comes off the bench and plays an exorbitant amount of minutes.

Jamal Crawford, JeT, Ginobli etc. They're usually scoring near 20 ppg, I just think our depth is too good to give Lou the mins he needs to get there. Seasons young though you never know

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
We don't play small ball overly well and the Suns love to run the floor. Controlling the pace and focusing on half court ball favours us. Their interior D isn't the best so it would be great if we could establish JV early on, and also crash the net looking for offensive boards (gotta be careful to not let them out in transition though). 2Pat is going to be key off the bench when we go to a small ball lineup. I really wouldn't expect to see Chuck Hayes at all tonight.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We don't play small ball overly well and the Suns love to run the floor. Controlling the pace and focusing on half court ball favours us. Their interior D isn't the best so it would be great if we could establish JV early on, and also crash the net looking for offensive boards (gotta be careful to not let them out in transition though). 2Pat is going to be key off the bench when we go to a small ball lineup. I really wouldn't expect to see Chuck Hayes at all tonight.

Clearly you underestimate Dwane Casey. :sarcasm:

cage

Apr 25, 2004
We need a legit big with size/rebounding. Would love to get Mozgov

Jonas/Mozgov
Amir/PatPat/Hans

That's a nice front court

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Clearly you underestimate Dwane Casey. :sarcasm:

I was going to add a Casey qualifier to that but really, who does Phoenix have that will require Chuck Hayes? It was a great call against Memphis and I was glad to see him rewarded with minutes over the weekend thanks to his strong play but the only way we should see him tonight is if it's a blowout or Plumlee/Len destroy us down low. Those are big ifs.

Scion

May 25, 2012
The key to tonight's game is going to be feeding the big men down low early, and often and turning this game into a half court battle, similar to what Memphis did to us last week.

Scion

May 25, 2012
It is pretty clear that his ankles are becoming a bigger issue than they once were. His defense is still valuable but he hasn't provided as much offensive boards compared to previous years. Since last season he has made an effort to improve his perimeter shooting and it kinda costs the team some second chance points. On the bright side he is somehow better than DeRozan at shooting 3s now.

Based on last year's full numbers:

Player | RealPlusMinus | Defensive RPM | Opp FG% at rim

Taj Gibson | 4.20 | 3.64 | 44.9%
LaMarcus Aldridge | 4.46 | 3.23 | 49.3%
Serge Ibaka | 4.46 | 3.23 | 45.0%

Amir Johnson | 4.61 | 3.14 | 47.9%
I'm sure there is young talent around the league that could blossom into a similar role that Johnson plays long term, but in terms of being a big positive plus minus player on the defensive end and altering shots at the rim (in the present) these are the only players in basketball with a similar impact, and remember that Amir played much of last season on bad ankles. Like I said above, Amir Johnson is really underrated defensively...

If I were the Raptors I would use Johnson's ankles as leverage in negotiations, and try to keep him on a bargain contract moving forward. I also imagine that he will finally have surgery on his ankles following a contract extension that gives him some security moving forward.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'm sure there is young talent around the league that could blossom into a similar role that Johnson plays long term, but in terms of being a big positive plus minus player on the defensive end and altering shots at the rim (in the present) these are the only players in basketball with a similar impact, and remember that Amir played much of last season on bad ankles. Like I said above, Amir Johnson is really underrated defensively...

If I were the Raptors I would use Johnson's ankles as leverage in negotiations, and try to keep him on a bargain contract moving forward. I also imagine that he will finally have surgery on his ankles following a contract extension that gives him some security moving forward.

:thumbu:

Amir is the kind of player who rarely jumps out at you but if he was gone, we'd miss him more than most could imagine. If Lowry is the heart of this team then Amir is the soul IMO.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

He should have had surgery two seasons ago. Regardless of his reasons he's put the team in the position they are in with his unwillingness to have the surgery done in the first place. It really doesn't make sense that these guys elect not to have the problem fixed and instead elect to try and treat it through other means while the problem gets worse.

As for Amir's contract I wouldn't extend him a new contract, use the money you save in offering him an extension and the money saved from Fields and Hayes and go out and get a legit starting PF.

Love will probably go to LA, maybe stay in Cleavland but the chances of him in a raptors jersey next season is slim to none imo.

Aldridge will most likely stay in Portland. They have a pretty good situation in Portland and I don't see him turning his back on that.

Millsap is probably the guy the Raps will be targeting imo, he's pretty good all round player.

Tristan Thompson even though a rfa I would take a look at. He's young still has big upside and he's athletic. IMO would fit right into Toronto's playing style but maybe not as well as a guy like Millsap would.

Scion

May 25, 2012
He should have had surgery two seasons ago. Regardless of his reasons he's put the team in the position they are in with his unwillingness to have the surgery done in the first place. It really doesn't make sense that these guys elect not to have the problem fixed and instead elect to try and treat it through other means while the problem gets worse.

As for Amir's contract I wouldn't extend him a new contract, use the money you save in offering him an extension and the money saved from Fields and Hayes and go out and get a legit starting PF.

Love will probably go to LA, maybe stay in Cleavland but the chances of him in a raptors jersey next season is slim to none imo.

Aldridge will most likely stay in Portland. They have a pretty good situation in Portland and I don't see him turning his back on that.

Millsap is probably the guy the Raps will be targeting imo, he's pretty good all round player.

Tristan Thompson even though a rfa I would take a look at. He's young still has big upside and he's athletic. IMO would fit right into Toronto's playing style but maybe not as well as a guy like Millsap would.

Millsap is a downgrade defensively, and entering his ago 30 season. No thanks. I'd rather re-sign Amir Johnson, and load up for the 2016 class when the cap rises.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Problem with Amir is that he just fouls so much. All these little ticky tack fouls are called against him. But yea I would be worried without him there as he is easily our best post defender

Amir is a smart defender who knows when a foul is necessary. His fouls are often ones that bail the team out. I'd rather a player use the 6 fouls available smartly rather not make use of them at all. Of course when you play hard fouls will come. I'm more worried that the injuries will limit amir on the offensive end.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Raptors' Williams wins Eastern Conference Player of the Week.

http://www.tsn.ca/raptors-williams-wins-eastern-conference-player-of-the-week-1.143374

The NBA announced that Toronto Raptors guard Lou Williams has been named Eastern Conference Player of the Week (November 17-23).

Williams is the sixth Raptors player to ever win the award, joining Vince Carter (seven times), Chris Bosh (seven times), Mike James, Jalen Rose and Kyle Lowry.

This was Williams' first time winning the award.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Wish we had JJ back to guard Green.

Edit: Apparently he's back tonight, per the Canadian Press.

Last edited:

Scion

May 25, 2012
Lebron Johnson is in the lineup tonight! (Yes I call him that)

0AFvCWmT0.gif

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Game on tsn2, thus i wont be able to watch on tv.
anybody know a website where you can watch the game in hd?

I'm not sure what the numbers are - and I understand the NFL is huge... but weird they would have an NFL game over a hometown NBA game when their playing this well.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Millsap is a downgrade defensively, and entering his ago 30 season. No thanks. I'd rather re-sign Amir Johnson, and load up for the 2016 class when the cap rises.

Millsap is an upgrade everywhere else and he isn't a liability on defense. Amir is just as old and has played in the league longer.

I would rather have a healthy PF who can play over 30 minutes a night and help on the offensive end besides put backs and Summer 3's.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Millsap is an upgrade everywhere else and he isn't a liability on defense. Amir is just as old and has played in the league longer.

I would rather have a healthy PF who can play over 30 minutes a night and help on the offensive end besides put backs and Summer 3's.

You are assuming that Millsap will continue to be that player into his 30's, history suggests that is a bad assumption. Furthermore, Amir is turning 28 this year, Millsap is turning 30, that is not the "same age".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad