Boston Bruins V-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Regarding Eichel, other teams can offer more. The best the B's could offer in my mind is Debrusk, Studnicka, 1st, choose a D prospect or Swayman. And that's not enough most likely.
is it just me or does Eichel have a the potential to be a bit of a headache? I know he has played only for the inept Sabres but is he or has he been a bit of a problem for the Sabres? I seem to recall some incidents that show he has been but could be wrong

No way the B`s get him, let`s talk Ovi, UFA at years end:naughty:

I`d like the B`s to make a play on Schwartz, send em` JDB and others to make it happen

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Summer 2010 do you guys trade Bergeron for Shea Weber?

If not, why wouldn't you deal Charlie for Eichel?

Eichel is clearly better than Patrice at that point, as is Weber vs Charlie.
Eichel is only better offensively. Everything else Bergeron is better at. Weber at that time produced 16 G 32 A and 48 P in 82 games. McAvoy is on pace for a 13 G 52 A 65 P in a 82 game season. So right now McAvoy is better than Weber was at that time.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Summer 2010 do you guys trade Bergeron for Shea Weber?

If not, why wouldn't you deal Charlie for Eichel?

Eichel is clearly better than Patrice at that point, as is Weber vs Charlie.

The problem with this is we know how the Bergeron story ends, and we also know how the Weber story is ending. Bruins would have lost that deal in the big picture. Eichel is a really good young player, but he hasn't shown that he is going to be Bergeron. He might be more offensively gifted than Bergy was at the same age, but in terms of two-way play, 2010 Bergeron was a good deal better than Eichel is now. Now you could say that McAvoy may never be a prime Shea Weber, but then again, Eichel may never be Bergeron. It's a gamble whichever way you go. Better the devil you know, I guess, and Charlie at 23 is a 24 minute a night top pairing D man who looks like he can sustain that for the next decade +. Is Eichel going to continue to develop? Is he going to develop the consistency and competitiveness as well as the two way play that Bergeron has? He hasn't yet.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Eichel is only better offensively. Everything else Bergeron is better at. Weber at that time produced 16 G 32 A and 48 P in 82 games. McAvoy is on pace for a 13 G 52 A 65 P in a 82 game season. So right now McAvoy is better than Weber was at that time.

Weber had a 23-30-53 the year before. I think many would view him better than Mc that point.

Eichel in this system could be a bergeron lite defensively no?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The problem with this is we know how the Bergeron story ends, and we also know how the Weber story is ending. Bruins would have lost that deal in the big picture. Eichel is a really good young player, but he hasn't shown that he is going to be Bergeron. He might be more offensively gifted than Bergy was at the same age, but in terms of two-way play, 2010 Bergeron was a good deal better than Eichel is now. Now you could say that McAvoy may never be a prime Shea Weber, but then again, Eichel may never be Bergeron. It's a gamble whichever way you go. Better the devil you know, I guess, and Charlie at 23 is a 24 minute a night top pairing D man who looks like he can sustain that for the next decade +. Is Eichel going to continue to develop? Is he going to develop the consistency and competitiveness as well as the two way play that Bergeron has? He hasn't yet.

Eichel should be upgraded in a bruins system in peoples minds IMO. I think he would be fantastic both ways.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I want Eichel and McAvoy but can't see how this works. Krejci coming off the books helps? No?

After McAvoy the Sabres will surely want next top D man Studnicka and a first plus.

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Eichel should be upgraded in a bruins system in peoples minds IMO. I think he would be fantastic both ways.

That's an intriguing thought- could the Bruins coaches "pull a Seny" with Eichel? It's possible. It would be a risk. For me, at this moment in time, the Bruins lose the deal because what Eichel brings right now versus what they give up losing McAvoy isn't worth it. If McAvoy goes, what becomes of the Bruins defense which is already looking a little shambolic personnel-wise? IF (as I don't think the Bruins are even contemplating this, to be honest) they moved McAvoy for Eichel, they'd have to have another deal lined up or in the bag for a top 4 LD. You can't have your right side looking like Carlo-Clifton-Miller/Kampfer and the left looking like Gryz-Lauzon-Zboril.

Reactions: Gordoff

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Spooner, Donato and Heinen are not exactly NHL household names. Two players I wish management whould of never traded are Seguin and Wheeler. Sure they won the cup with Peverly but Wheeler has been like a 70 point player for years.

I wish management would quit picking up these players who do not add greatly towards a cup winning team come trade deadline. Go for what you really need or forget it. Should you not be able to complete the right deals then back away.

Debrusk is what he is, a very streaky player who is non contributing for a way too much of the time. Now maybe if the Bruins had more offensive talent he would not have to be counted on as much and it may work better without the added pressure. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, could be just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking as someone who likes the big splashes, I actually don't think Sweeney has messed up that much with deadline deals that he actually made. His worst deadline, IMO, was 2016 when he didn't deal Loui Eriksson. The Rick Nash deal was OK. Nash got concussed and that messed things up, including, perhaps, another season or two on the Bruins. I like Lindgren, but I think Sweeney hung on to the right defense prospects. The Coyle for Donato deal was a steal. Mojo was worth the 2nd. The Kase deal is one I wish was different, but it's not a crippling blow. The Ritchie for Heinen deal is looking better and better.

Part of the reason Sweeney didn't have better deadlines in both 2018 and 2020 was because he was hampered by needing to find a suitor to take salary and needing to retain salary on his 2015 and 2016 UFA signings of Beleskey and Backes. Most of Sweeney's mistakes were made in his first 13 months as GM. Off the top of my head, I don't think he's had a significant blunder since.

And I will say that while Chiarelli may have slightly overpaid for Peverely, I'd make that deal again. Peverley proved to be a big game player in that short era and Wheeler didn't prove that until he was into his 30's. Wheeler has only 6 career playoff goals. Peverley had 9 across his three seasons in Boston and DeBrusk, for example, already had 14 before he turned 24. Playoff goals wipe away many other sins. A lack of playoff goals will be a problem for a high-paid player unless wins are happening.

I also doubt that Wheeler would still be on this Bruins team and making much more than Bergeron (and everyone). He would likely have been traded or let go many years ago or the Bruins would have a drastically altered current roster--which I wouldn't prefer. It's hard to get into these type of what-ifs over a 10 year course, but when I re-watch the 2011 Habs and Canucks series, I know that Peverely was instrumental and the Bruins got the Cup, in part, because of those efforts. I don't think Wheeler was ready to make that same type of contribution for a few years.

Wheeler would be great to have now (salary notwithstanding), but when you look at his playoff performances (of the few) he's not a player that I miss tremendously. He simply doesn't score that many playoff goals. If he were here making 8.25m and producing 4 playoff goals over his last 3 playoff years, he'd be pretty high on the shit list. To be fair, Wheeler did have a lot of assists in the 2017-18 playoffs, but that may prove to be the exceptional playoff for him. He did nothing last year.

The Seguin trade wasn't a good one at all, but it could have been more fruitful if they had dealt 30 goal Loui during the 2016 blah year and made a better deal for Reilly Smith. Even though I didn't like the trade, Chiarelli actually ended up with 2 very good assets in Eriksson and Smith, but then Sweeney got nothing (Jimmy Hayes) in return for those two very good players. Imagine if they had dealt Loui for a low 1st or high 2nd in 2016 and grabbed someone like DeBrincat, Kyrou or Sam Girard to go along with Frederic and McAvoy. That part of the 2016 draft had a lot to offer and Loui had little more to offer the Bruins even if they were able to sneak into the playoffs.

At this point in time, I have few lasting laments about the Bruins course since 2010 and none of the deadline deals make my top 5. The Bruins are a couple of players short of being a top contender right now, but I think they are in striking distance. Sweeney has been mostly good.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Bergy does not get a lot of pts by comparison to Eichel but Bergy also prevents maybe 3 goals a game. To me that is gold. Krech for Eichel is interesting, we would have to add someone younger though.

I would love to get Barkov

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Eichel has fewer goals and points than McAvoy this year...

To me LA or NYR make much more sense as destinations than Boston with Byfield or Kaakko as potential pieces in the return. I just don't see the reasoning of filling one hole by creating another even bigger hole. The defence would be incredibly weak without McAvoy dragging them along.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think Vegas could be a model for the Bruins on what to do at center down the line. I wouldn't have guessed that they would be as successful as they are with names like Stephenson, Glass, and Karlsson as their centers. Sometimes it's important to have great wingers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad