Utica Comets enter 10 year affiliation with the New Jersey Devils

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
if there's going to be no further discussion about the Utica Devils can we lock this thread.....

This is a solid thread, which has invigorated interest not seen since before the pandemic. Don't be the guy that gets in digs and cheap shots then wants the thread locked. I would love to hear more from the fans of Utica and Binghamton, they are the ones most at stake and have a lot of good talk to add.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is a solid thread, which has invigorated interest not seen since before the pandemic. Don't be the guy that gets in digs and cheap shots then wants the thread locked. I would love to hear more from the fans of Utica and Binghamton, they are the ones most at stake and have a lot of good talk to add.
there's also the social media of the Comets fanbase too especially since the issues surrounding why has Esche registered the branding....

some Comets fans want the Rangers to leave Hartford for Utica or Binghamton, but that ship has likely sailed with the relationship that Briere and Drury have from their days in Buffalo..... and why Spectra outright owns Portland and runs Hartford off the ice even though MSG physically owns the franchise.

DO I like the aspect of markets that have supported the AHL for years be shuffled aside because of a business decision, no, but you're not going to like every aspect of how a franchise is operated.... but to blatantly deny that it doesn't exist isn't a realistic take, either...

this reminds me a lot of the "grandstanding " that Peoria did when they acquired the Ice Cats, whether that was warranted or not... in retrospect it probably shouldn't have happened the way it did publically as it was portrayed here, either....

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Not every city gets direct flights to San Antonio. Practically every city gets direct flights to Las Vegas. The AHL would generally approve the vast majority of what the owners want because it’s bad news to get nitpicky among that gang, but I assure you that this particular move was an easy one, and has benefits beyond what’s convenient for the Golden Knights. (If you want me to expand on that, prepare for a baseball discussion.)

Similarly, since you can see the arena (I still so badly want to call it the Rosemont Horizon) flying into O’Hare, and most cities have flights into one of Chicago’s airports, the AHL wouldn’t abandon Chicago on a whim. That would be insane.

Just wanted to add Captain Obvious stuff for those losing faith in this discussion. I can’t guarantee it’ll help.

Reactions: Roadhog and axecrew

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Not every city gets direct flights to San Antonio. Practically every city gets direct flights to Las Vegas. The AHL would generally approve the vast majority of what the owners want because it’s bad news to get nitpicky among that gang, but I assure you that this particular move was an easy one, and has benefits beyond what’s convenient for the Golden Knights. (If you want me to expand on that, prepare for a baseball discussion.)

Similarly, since you can see the arena (I still so badly want to call it the Rosemont Horizon) flying into O’Hare, and most cities have flights into one of Chicago’s airports, the AHL wouldn’t abandon Chicago on a whim. That would be insane.

Just wanted to add Captain Obvious stuff for those losing faith in this discussion. I can’t guarantee it’ll help.

You and me both...have spent many a years in that building to the point where I know where the ghost is in it. Having said that I DON'T miss those ugly-ass hard orange seats...

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

607Hockey

Jan 4, 2021
This rumor going around of Carolina AHL team to Binghamton really has no legs at this time. If a mod needs to contact me they can, but right now that is not a thing. The best bet for a Carolina connection to Binghamton is an ECHL team.

This makes sense, the wolves are the only AHL franchise that on the surface appears moveable due to no known arena lease but like others have said, why would they want to move from that market or even sell? ECHL makes most sense, we in Binghamton gotta remember it's not the UHL (aka IceMen), though the flaming hockey stick intro would be sick to bring back

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
This rumor going around of Carolina AHL team to Binghamton really has no legs at this time. If a mod needs to contact me they can, but right now that is not a thing. The best bet for a Carolina connection to Binghamton is an ECHL team.
This makes sense, the wolves are the only AHL franchise that on the surface appears moveable due to no known arena lease but like others have said, why would they want to move from that market or even sell? ECHL makes most sense, we in Binghamton gotta remember it's not the UHL (aka IceMen), though the flaming hockey stick intro would be sick to bring back
If the powers at be in Binghamton have a AHL or nothing mindset they are only hurting themselves and local hockey fans.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If the powers at be in Binghamton have a AHL or nothing mindset they are only hurting themselves and local hockey fans.
This x 1,000

The AHL has adjusted so much in the past decade that you have to be open to reality.

If people (fans) lock into this notion that it is the AHL or nothing than they may end up with nothing.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

The Wolves have an arena lease just like any other team...the Wolves don't appear to be the most movable on the surface...they are owned by 2 private individuals who have stated time and time again they aren't for sale or going anywhere. If I would have to pick a team that could be on the move...and the likelyhood of this is so remote it's not even funny...maybe Milwaukee? Bowing out this season due to financial issues maybe?? Even still I doubt it.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Wolves have an arena lease just like any other team...the Wolves don't appear to be the most movable on the surface...they are owned by 2 private individuals who have stated time and time again they aren't for sale or going anywhere. If I would have to pick a team that could be on the move...and the likelyhood of this is so remote it's not even funny...maybe Milwaukee? Bowing out this season due to financial issues maybe?? Even still I doubt it.
it's not going to be the three opt out teams, axe....Milwaukee's not going anywhere, nor is Charlotte, nor is Springfield....

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

What market likes a demotion?

In most cases, I have found that 3-5 years without makes the collective heart grow fonder for a lower level. IOW was completely unsurprised by how things went down in Manchester.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
What market likes a demotion?

In most cases, I have found that 3-5 years without makes the collective heart grow fonder for a lower level. IOW was completely unsurprised by how things went down in Manchester.
There is no doubt about that, my post wasn't really directed at the fans. The statement's from local management in Binghamton gave off the impression that they are really misguided when it comes to the city's importance to the AHL.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I think I'm done with this site.
Before you leave, try this function. I'm sure everyone else would rather you stay and just not participate with certain discussions than leave entirely.
upload_2021-4-26_13-7-3.png

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
it's not going to be the three opt out teams, axe....Milwaukee's not going anywhere, nor is Charlotte, nor is Springfield....

Since reading comprehension seems to be at a premium on here and a largely ignored attribute...if you'll take the time to actually read ALL of what I said...I said I highly doubt it would or could be Milwaukee... really gets kind of tiresome to have to correct everything that is said due to people wanting to be so quick to respond and not reading things all the way through.
NOWHERE in my post were Charlotte nor Springfield mentioned were they? As for Chicago...not going to be them going by way of Portland.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Since reading comprehension seems to be at a premium on here and a largely ignored attribute...if you'll take the time to actually read ALL of what I said...I said I highly doubt it would or could be Milwaukee... really gets kind of tiresome to have to correct everything that is said due to people wanting to be so quick to respond and not reading things all the way through.
NOWHERE in my post were Charlotte nor Springfield mentioned were they? As for Chicago...not going to be them going by way of Portland.
and you're a fool if you believe the Wolves aren't going to be targeted, axe...... if Dundon wants to he can.... Kahn did it in Charlotte, so why are u in denial..... if it can happen to San Antonio, it will happen to any team at any time, even when you least expect it could happen.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO

and you're a fool if you believe the Wolves aren't going to be targeted, axe...... if Dundon wants to he can.... Kahn did it in Charlotte, so why are u in denial..... if it can happen to San Antonio, it will happen to any team at any time, even when you least expect it could happen.

Which one is it? Can't have it both ways.....

Personally, I'm of the opinion that you can never say never when it comes to anything regarding ownership and location in minor league hockey. The minute someone says something is impossible and it will never happen, it does.

Reactions: Atlantian

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Which one is it? Can't have it both ways.....

Personally, I'm of the opinion that you can never say never when it comes to anything regarding ownership and location in minor league hockey. The minute someone says something is impossible and it will never happen, it does.
it depends on the scenario... but Avs I'll grant you would you have expected a mundane day in May and waiting for news and your team's social media pages actually get shut down sooner than you originally thought.... or a fan visits the arena on an off day and wants to buy a jersey or merchandise or had come to pick up a jersey only to be told halfway through that transaction by an employee that the franchise had ceased operations in that market....

that's what occurred in 2015....and the next time hockey would return to that market would be 2018?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
There is no doubt about that, my post wasn't really directed at the fans. The statement's from local management in Binghamton gave off the impression that they are really misguided when it comes to the city's importance to the AHL.
I think there is a certain arrogance after almost 40 years of ahl hockey locally, but times change and reality sets in. Dave Andrews was also a big pro Binghamton guy, that affects things. There are many markets that have successfully made the adjustment to the ECHL, although I would love to understand better what went wrong in manchester.

Reactions: Tao Jones

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Local management here definitely does still think of Bingo as a crucial AHL city, and maybe they’re a bit stuck in the past.

But with that said, I think they’re also realistic people. We’re out of AHL options, and they won’t let this city and arena sit dormant. They’ll eventually swallow their pride and join the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad