Utica Comets enter 10 year affiliation with the New Jersey Devils

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

the franchise was sold to Calgary in 1993, when the Devils elected to join Capital District Sports, and bought the Islanders affiliate at that time from RPI to Albany which the Devils then sold to Carolina which is the current Checkers license in Charlotte, nevermind the franchise.... then they joined up and eventually bought Lowell after the UMASS Lowell terminated their standing at Tsongas Center/Arena..

it's highly doubtful that the Comets would step aside there based off how that relationship has evolved.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
TRUE, but the AHL never allows 2 existing teams to share arenas or territories.....Vancouver would have to request it, not THE Comets or Esche would have legal recourse.....

Except for the overlap that the Falcons and IceCats agreed to as a condition of the Indians moving to Worcester and the Falcons becoming an expansion team. And then when Harford came on board and the IceCats sold part of their bubble to the Wolf Pack, including part of the shared territory with the Falcons. I don't know if the Thunderbirds and Wolf Pack have shared territory, but I suspect they do not as the Falcons inherited almost all of the western portion of the WorSharks bubble, which is likely what the Thunderbirds can claim now.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Except for the overlap that the Falcons and IceCats agreed to as a condition of the Indians moving to Worcester and the Falcons becoming an expansion team. And then when Harford came on board and the IceCats sold part of their bubble to the Wolf Pack, including part of the shared territory with the Falcons. I don't know if the Thunderbirds and Wolf Pack have shared territory, but I suspect they do not as the Falcons inherited almost all of the western portion of the WorSharks bubble, which is likely what the Thunderbirds can claim now.
They really should have merged the Thunderbirds and IceCats into one team for the covid season and called them the ThunderCats. That wouldhave been legen.....dary!

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
I would imagine that vancouver has decided with the whole covid situation that it's time to move the kids to canada. I have heard the the Devils are in a dispute with Binghamton.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
No offense, but can we call in an expert to confirm all of this? :allears:

Reactions: 210

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Feel like the writing might be on the wall for us in Binghamton. Sad day for us

I
agree, there must be some sort of dispute between Tom Mitchell and the Devils.

It's like animals eating their young with New York State AHL hockey.

We had NJ here from 87-93 and while we saw many great ones pass through here, the NJ experience is never good and never seems to end well.

That said, I for one will not miss Bumbling Benning, Imaginary GM Johnson and Dry Gulch Cull.

Esche would certainly make a difference though. No nonsense.

Reactions: Roadhog

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015
Only Calgary jerks cities around more than the Devil's......

I don't know St.Louis used to have there AHL affliate in Peoria Illinois for years then just left went to chicago, then San Antonio now there with the Springfield Thunderbirds but are sharing Utica with the canucks right now

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Only Calgary jerks cities around more than the Devil's......
They are the monorail salesmen of the AHL.

r1_60_638_420_w1200_h678_fmax.png

I don't know St.Louis used to have there AHL affliate in Peoria Illinois for years then just left went to chicago, then San Antonio now there with the Springfield Thunderbirds but are sharing Utica with the canucks right now
The reason for that is Tom Stillman has no interest in being a owner/operator of a AHL franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

The major difference being St Louis moved along from different independent AHL teams after selling the Rivermen, sometimes with no choice in the matter, whereas the Devils have a long history of ruining minor-league markets with their ownership tactics.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
The last couple of St louis movers were out of their hands. They sold their AHL team to Vancouver, prospects went to chicago.
Chicago signs with vegas, prospects go to San Antonio.
San Antonio sold to Vegas, prospects to Springfield.
Covid hits Springfield decides not to play, prospects to Utica.

NJ owns it's AHL team and just destroy every fan base they come into contact with....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad