USMNT Thread Part VIII

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Read it as good news if you want, but that isn't great in my opinion.

I'm not reading it as good news, but I also don't look at this as a situation where Soto is all that likely to switch at this point or that he's seriously considering a switch. All it says is that Chile approached him. I'm sure he's not going to be rude about it towards them and it doesn't help his international career with the USA to outwardly declare in the media that he's only going to play for the USA. Thats why none of these players ever give those types of answers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Such a silly article IMO. I don't remember anyone hyping quite a few players that he listed. Dempsey really didn't get hype until he earned it in England. Adu got hype and Donovan got hype, but he just didn't enjoy Europe, didn't stay long enough in Germany to make it work, but was a success at Everton on some short loans.

Pulisic proved it at Dortmund and then got hyped. He was hyped because he proved himself at an early age.

While we can break down issues in US Soccer, it's really as simple as this. For the elite athletes, soccer is just way down on the list of sports to pick in this country because you can't crazy money without leaving for Europe. The elite athletes are going to pick football, baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf, etc. over soccer in America. Until the MLS can pay players on a similar level to those sports, then the US will not compete like some want them to.

The talent pool is as good as it has been, if not better, we just had teams do better with less talent in the past. We are never going to be a team that is going to have great talent either.

Regardless, over-hyping prospects is a fan problem, and those fans just need to have more realistic expectations. It's not a US Soccer issue.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah I wouldn't say anyone is thinking some of our youth guys are going to be world class players, but you look at guys like Dest, Llanez, Mendez, Pomykal and they are earning their way into top tier clubs. Guys like Gil and Zelalem had talent, but either could never put it together or dealt with a myriad of injuries. People are hyping up the guys I've mentioned because they aren't just playing, but actually starting to produce. Llanez already has 6 goals in 3 games for Wolfsburg's U19 which is an impressive start for him. But what I think Pulisic, Adams and McKennie has taught us is that we can produce players who can play in these leagues and they can pave the next cycle. Not all of them will pan out most likely, but now other clubs will look at those guys as an example and invest in some of these players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Producing on youth levels in Europe still doesn't mean anything. It's like scoring a ton in juniors and assuming they'll be a solid player in the NHL. Chelsea's youth level have won a ton of trophies and players have put up great numbers, but few have actually developed into decent players on the top level, even with lesser sides.

We can develop a Pulisic or an Adams or a McKennie, but we've done that before too. Dempsey, Donovan, Howard, and Bradley were all able to hang at quality clubs in their prime. The bigger point is, even with a team full of those guys, we'll still be at a talent disadvantage. US Soccer can't fix themselves out of that problem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Producing on youth levels in Europe still doesn't mean anything. It's like scoring a ton in juniors and assuming they'll be a solid player in the NHL. Chelsea's youth level have won a ton of trophies and players have put up great numbers, but few have actually developed into decent players on the top level, even with lesser sides.

We can develop a Pulisic or an Adams or a McKennie, but we've done that before too. Dempsey, Donovan, Howard, and Bradley were all able to hang at quality clubs in their prime. The bigger point is, even with a team full of those guys, we'll still be at a talent disadvantage. US Soccer can't fix themselves out of that problem.

We are producing better players on average by any measure that is typically used to judge this. I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Does that mean that Dest accepted the call-up? Or would he still have to accept if he were put on the roster?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Does that mean that Dest accepted the call-up? Or would he still have to accept if he were put on the roster?

If Dest is indeed on the roster than I would assume that he accepted the call up. We just found out about one of our players Nagbe actually refusing call ups even for the Gold Cup this year so if Dest is on that roster list he'll be in camp most likely.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

No Bradley or Altidore. Dest, Pomykal, Sargent, and Robinson in. Interesting to see Morales back for the first time since the Klinnsman era.

Sep 19, 2008
Fans have been calling for Bradley to leave for years. Perhaps they are pleased now. The new younger generation take over.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He won't switch. He's been in regular contact with Berhalter and has been called up for our youth teams for years, and we have competitive games in October to play him in to make sure he can't. It's incredibly unlikely at best.

I read somewhere that Koeman has never spoken to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He won't switch. He's been in regular contact with Berhalter and has been called up for our youth teams for years, and we have competitive games in October to play him in to make sure he can't. It's incredibly unlikely at best.

I read somewhere that Koeman has never spoken to him.
Yeah I mean it seems unlikely as they've never shown an interest in him but I feel like if they came calling he'd probably switch. Probably not necessary either way; they're focused on making sure Ihattaren doesn't get poached right now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fans have been calling for Bradley to leave for years. Perhaps they are pleased now. The new younger generation take over.

They are out for club purposes, wish he would stop favoring the Columbus guys that are poor international quality... I mean Bradley is fading hard at this point, I do think he is on his way out of the picture we will see, but that seems more club related.

We will see, I am pretty meh on Berhalter already. I feel like that is a bit harsh, but if your system needs Zardes and Trapp to run, well your system isn't super impressive for me. I get that Adams will help his vision, but that is because he has international quality. I know our pool isn't where we want it to be but man I don't think much when looking at our options lately, love a couple of the young pieces but we need more depth and talent badly in my opinion.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They are out for club purposes, wish he would stop favoring the Columbus guys that are poor international quality... I mean Bradley is fading hard at this point, I do think he is on his way out of the picture we will see, but that seems more club related.

We will see, I am pretty meh on Berhalter already. I feel like that is a bit harsh, but if your system needs Zardes and Trapp to run, well your system isn't super impressive for me. I get that Adams will help his vision, but that is because he has international quality. I know our pool isn't where we want it to be but man I don't think much when looking at our options lately, love a couple of the young pieces but we need more depth and talent badly in my opinion.

Yeah, people still have unrealistic expectations in relation to our talent pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad