USMNT Thread Part VIII

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Meh. We got more than what weve put on the pitch at one time in the past 2 years.
You're right, so much of it is in Europe now though, so it's a little more difficult for them to travel over for meaningless games. The drop off from the top guys is very big.

Sep 19, 2008
I'm willing to give Berhalter some leeway but the rabble are already after him and rightfully so. some of his selections are puzzling

I think we've had enough drama with our 2 year long coaching search that firing Berhalter already would be kind of silly.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not even really sure what to say. Went out to have some beers and enjoy a nice game on Sunday afternoon and felt sick to my stomach midway through the first half. Not just that this group looks so dismal tactically in back to back games but like they appear like they couldn't give a rats *** that they are wearing the national crest. Played like a team that was getting relegated today.

I guess this is the crew, we have submitted the list. If it was an option I would advocate a full roster switch at this point just to get the point across. I mean if this is our A team, I would rather watch the U20s that just got eliminated or a C team of guys that look like they actually give a **** before the group I have seen in the last two. Wake the **** up gentleman, we should have burned this thing to the ground when we failed to qualify, it is becoming clearer by the day.

These were the stakes Berhalter, it isn't fair being a National Team manager at times, but seriously when you have back to back embarrassing performances you need to look at this thing top to bottom starting with yourself. The laissez faire nature with which the USMNT has watched this ride to the bottom with embarrassing and troubling results is so frustrating. I think they need some big changes regardless if they do pull out a miracle and right this thing for our admittedly weak regional tournament. But seriously if they cannot pull off winning, I really hope what comes of it is a bunch of these guys that have no business being on an international pitch (like the guy stunningly wearing the captains armband today) get shot into space and are never allowed back to the national team.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Roman Fell

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
US fans still want to merge with CONMEBOL for World Cup qualifying?

I eventually want to win something worthwhile and I think you get better by playing against better teams. Part of our problem right now in my opinion is about a decade or so ago we actually bridged across to Mexico for the first time in our history and we ignored the fact that being good in our region isn't actually that impressive. I am pretty disillusioned with the USMNT right now, but they cannot hide, we should be a lot better than this, we have the resources and athletic talent in this country. We need to fix our development paradigm and our obsessive nature with trying to copy at thousand other things with no actual identity in place. But yeah I would still be for merging with South America, it is a route to this team getting a lot better.

For the record those teams aren't going to be playing in warm June time Cincinnati in a lot of national breaks either. We are going to put them in qualifying matches in half the FIFA breaks in low altitude cold and they are going to look like they are freezing to death and don't want to play ala Mexico in a bunch of recent contests. That isn't to say they wouldn't smash us from time to time, but I don't think summer throw away friendlies necessarily dictate the preview of what it is like to play a November Qualifier in Colorado, Columbus or Boston.

The promised bids between the regions also has gone up in the past when this has been proposed. I don't think it is really realistic in the near term in any event. We got left home in a crappy region anyway so what is there to be afraid of, I am looking for something to excite and improve our fate. Playing big guns in South America might also attract more attention with actual meaningful games to be played and stars to see that are lacking in our region, not Brazil showing up every two years to curb stomp us in the summer in a big US city, the whole dynamic doesn't work the same as the International Friendly. Though certainly it is really embarrassing in any fashion to put on a National jersey and look like you don't care one bit like our current roster has done the last two times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecemleafs

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Sounds like a great day to miss the game. Jesus ****ing Christ what the **** are we doing. I've defended Berhalter, but it looks like he's out smarted himself or something because these past few games have been trash. I've got a bad feeling somebody told him to focus on winning the tournament or something because his tactics makes no sense at all right now. There's also no logic for Josh Sargent not only not being on the Gold Cup roster, but not even on either the U20 or U23 roster. Its just ****ing ridiculous.

Also his post game comments about fitness was complete bull****. Its not like these guys haven't played in 3-4 months and half the roster is in midseason for the MLS players.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sounds like a great day to miss the game. Jesus ****ing Christ what the **** are we doing. I've defended Berhalter, but it looks like he's out smarted himself or something because these past few games have been trash. I've got a bad feeling somebody told him to focus on winning the tournament or something because his tactics makes no sense at all right now. There's also no logic for Josh Sargent not only not being on the Gold Cup roster, but not even on either the U20 or U23 roster. Its just ****ing ridiculous.

Also his post game comments about fitness was complete bull****. Its not like these guys haven't played in 3-4 months and half the roster is in midseason for the MLS players.

Don't offer me excuses when we look like that. Inexcusable. Only thing that should be said by those guys is we are embarrassed and need to fix it.

Sargent's whole thing is miserable, only thing I keep telling myself is he should have a good off-season at a young age and that should help him next campaign. But that doesn't excuse the USA people for ******* the dog and not having him on either addition as that was not the plan I am sure of that. Off the last two games though being the striker that gets no service doesn't seem like a fun spot to be in though. Might not want to be associated with what is about to go down in this tournament.

Reactions: kingsboy11

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It’s not our best. We are at least missing Adams and I would argue missing Miazga, Altidore.

Would Brooks not be in our best 11 too?

I just not really a huge fan of this back-line and yeah I am tired of seeing Zardes for the most part. He might be okay for our region, but he isn't a real international option for me. I get that he caught fire in this system, but we have better options up top than him. I am kind of okay with the middle field and wings.

Still I think it is time to start asking why we are this talent challenged. Not to be whining continuously I know it looks like it in this thread, but man I am just disappointed with this team.

I do think Boyd and Pulisic have been pretty good. I have liked Zimmerman's distribution at times. But man they just need to be playing a lot better than this.

I do wonder at times if Bradley could be a center back. Especially in our region I think it could be a strategy to finally get someone who can play out of the back since we seemed so insistent on it. Ultimately it could be a bad experiment, I just think if he was our right CB it might help at times.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Would Brooks not be in our best 11 too?

I just not really a huge fan of this back-line and yeah I am tired of seeing Zardes for the most part. He might be okay for our region, but he isn't a real international option for me. I get that he caught fire in this system, but we have better options up top than him. I am kind of okay with the middle field and wings.

Still I think it is time to start asking why we are this talent challenged. Not to be whining continuously I know it looks like it in this thread, but man I am just disappointed with this team.

I do think Boyd and Pulisic have been pretty good. I have liked Zimmerman's distribution at times. But man they just need to be playing a lot better than this.

I do wonder at times if Bradley could be a center back. Especially in our region I think it could be a strategy to finally get someone who can play out of the back since we seemed so insistent on it. Ultimately it could be a bad experiment, I just think if he was our right CB it might help at times.
Totally forgot about Brooks. I agree that our midfield is probably fine along with our wings (really liking Boyd so far). We really don’t have any strikers in our system other than Sargent and Altidore that are ready for the highest level. I don’t agree about Bradley though. I think he just isn’t good enough defensively unless we are doing three at the back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->