Useless Thread MDCCXCVII: Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Just the absolute contrast between Conleth Hill's visible fury during the script read-through footage when Varys is killed, compared to the rest of them all cheering like the morons in the Burlington bar when they read the bit when Arya stabs the Night King

Oh my god, f***ing cringe

Now, let's see their morning after that episode aired reaction.... yeah, that episode was such shit.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte

Imagine going to a bar to watch an episodic TV show, f***ing nerds.

That one woman with the Winterfell shirt could not possibly be any more irritating. I hope she's just playing it up for the camera because child please

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
The NHL was into fan reaction cams for a while and of course they were cringy and lame. Entire families breaking out into totally-not-rehearsed celebrations.

I also remember the first Paranormal Activity trailer showing a lot of fan reactions. People jumping out of their seats and other massive overreactions

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
there aren't even any wizards in game of thrones

there were wizards in lord of the rings and harry potter

do you expect me to learn another fantasy world?

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
there aren't even any wizards in game of thrones

there were wizards in lord of the rings and harry potter

do you expect me to learn another fantasy world?

There was this one woman whose powers were never fully explained, but were still used to further the story along

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I wish I could forget that bar reaction video.

I'm genuinely worse off for having seen it.

I'll be laying down to go to bed tonight and that one woman's grievous overreaction will continue to give me the douche chills

Sep 19, 2008
E0G1aJAVUAEKdMI

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I wish I could forget that bar reaction video.

I'm genuinely worse off for having seen it.

I'll be laying down to go to bed tonight and that one woman's grievous overreaction will continue to give me the douche chills

I said this in the thread on the entertainment board, the Burlington Bar stuff is the embodiment of everything that became wrong with GoT post season 4

It became too popular for its own good. It went from being a show you had to sit down quietly and concentrate to watch, to a show people watched in a f***ing bar to scream and shout like idiots for reaction videos whenever something exciting happened.

Then the writers started focusing all their energy on those big moments and making things look cool, and didn't properly build up to them or make any of it make sense. They just wanted to pander to the lowest common denominators who had started watching the show. Originally the target audience was only meant to be people who were fans of the books and people who like the fantasy genre, they didn't expect it to go so mainstream.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I would say it had mainstream appeal, but the people who, for example, knew every character's name were definitely nerds.

What was Tommy Carcetti's name? It doesn't matter, he already has a name

I definitely knew pretty much every named character's name :laugh: except maybe Cersei's handmaiden girl, I know she's supposed to have a name but don't think it's ever actually said on screen, I can't remember it off the top of my head right now

It helps that I've read the books and there's a lot more characters in those

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Watching "Things Heard & Seen" on Netflix with Amanda Seyfried

2 minutes in I already have a complaint

She's making herself throw up after literally one single solitary bite of a slice of cake

Are you f***ing kidding me

This isn't how bulimia works

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I definitely knew pretty much every named character's name :laugh: except maybe Cersei's handmaiden girl, I know she's supposed to have a name but don't think it's ever actually said on screen, I can't remember it off the top of my head right now

It helps that I've read the books and there's a lot more characters in those

It's a different story if you've read the books.

I doubt many of those bar watchers have read the books

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Watching "Things Heard & Seen" on Netflix with Amanda Seyfried

2 minutes in I already have a complaint

She's making herself throw up after literally one single solitary bite of a slice of cake

Are you f***ing kidding me

This isn't how bulimia works
What kind of cake?

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I said this in the thread on the entertainment board, the Burlington Bar stuff is the embodiment of everything that became wrong with GoT post season 4

It became too popular for its own good. It went from being a show you had to sit down quietly and concentrate to watch, to a show people watched in a f***ing bar to scream and shout like idiots for reaction videos whenever something exciting happened.

Then the writers started focusing all their energy on those big moments and making things look cool, and didn't properly build up to them or make any of it make sense. They just wanted to pander to the lowest common denominators who had started watching the show. Originally the target audience was only meant to be people who were fans of the books and people who like the fantasy genre, they didn't expect it to go so mainstream.

As easy as it is to shit on D and D, it's worth noting how much the show exploded in popularity and the massive expectations that came with it. There was a nearly insurmountable amount of hype.

However, it's as if they stopped caring about the overarching narrative and started focusing too much on fan reactions, which is the exact wrong way to write a show. Yes, you have to consider the audience, but we ultimately want to see the writers' ideas, not the writers crafting the story around what they've seen in online discussions.

That's as lenient as I'll be because the way some of the characters' storylines ended was nothing short of shameful. At least Lost can use the excuse that JJ Abrams is only good at writing an intriguing premise, because Game of Thrones conceivably could have delivered up until the end, but D and D wanted to move on to future endeavors.

It was the culmination of many concurrent issues. No more source material, too much hype, showrunners that want out, bad writing, too much fan influence, and I'm sure there's more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad