GDT: Us vs. Them - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sorry misread. You made it sound like in your post you wanted to sit Holtby and put in Samsonov right away. Some people here want to do that. I think your right on the mark. I say 65 percent Holtby, 35 percent Ilya.

I see.

Either way my point is I don't want that preset number, the better goalie should be the starter. Always.

Reactions: Heath

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
caps are a good team too. You just can’t blow lead after lead. I don’t care if we had a third period lead VS the all star team tonight - 2 blown 3rd period leads - while going into the 3rd up by 2 is unacceptable. ESPECIALLY when you’ve blown 2 third period leads in a row before this...
I was impressed by this Nashville team. Then I realized on paper they are a team without holes assuming Rinne is a vezine calibre goalie. Even more their D is crazy. While our D doesn't have big names and who play as a group even worse than their individual skills suggests.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Holtby simply isn’t very good anymore, or at least hasn’t been so far this season. He was underwhelming last year (including in the playoffs) and was bad the year before too but as we all know he was great in the playoffs. So since the end of the 2016-2017 regular season he’s had two underwhelming regular seasons and playoff performances along with one great playoff run. That Stanley Cup run is clearly looking like the anomaly right now.

Last year his numbers weren’t good but the defense wasn’t very good until after the TDL and he was facing tough shots. Obviously this season has been a SSS, but he’s faced easy workload and has posted (obviously) bad results. Before tonight he was giving up just about 1 goal per 60 minutes more than what should be expected, which is obviously not very good. He was 6th worst out of all goalies in expected goals saved above average. In short, he had a memorable playoff run in 2018 but hasn’t been the 2014-2016 Holtby for a while. He’s no longer a star goaltender or even a good goaltender until he shows otherwise. Samsonov shouldn’t be annointed the starter but he should at least begin to get more starts because at this point there’s not really much to lose. Maybe he shows well, can split starts with Holtby, and is the playoff starter. Or maybe he pushes Holtby to be better. But Holtby is no longer a guy that should be locked in to start the majority of the games. He’s just not very good right now.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i dont know what to think about holtby... in the trotz era he was protected by better defense and the blocking shots mentality... yet he struggled there to the point where he was not even the starter for the post season. now its wild west run and gun again... orlov doing backstrokes allowing 3 touch onetimers downlow. i would say keep riding hotlby and see if he can climb out of his ass and gain confidence... if not forget him and samsonov is the new #1 i know holtby can be a monster when the pressure boils in the playoffs... this is not his time right now.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
I was unable to watch, but you can't let a 4-2 third period lead get away.

Rationally, Holtby is getting older, showing signs of mortality, and will (may?) command a large salary in FA after this season.

We need to find out what Samsonov and Vanacek have. Both for this season and going forward. What's the downside, giving up 6 goals in a regular season game? Oh, ok.

That path is 100% the best for the coming seasons, and probably what is best for this season.

Reactions: Sam Spade

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Since Calicaps isn't here to say it, I'll do so on her behalf: we didn't let Trotz go! He was always going to leave! :laugh:
Incorrect. The Caps had already decided that Reirden was going to be the guy. Trotz was to be a free agent but winning the Stanley Cup changed that. If Trotz stayed I guarantee the Caps would have fired him very early in the following season. Trotz did what was best for him.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Dear lord there are some scolding hot takes in here tonight.

Simple solution would be to give Sammy the net more than once in 5 games. Give him 2 out of the next 3 starts, either back to back starts or Holtby in between. They kept him up, now play him

Reactions: Sam Spade

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I was unable to watch, but you can't let a 4-2 third period lead get away.

Rationally, Holtby is getting older, showing signs of mortality, and will (may?) command a large salary in FA after this season.

We need to find out what Samsonov and Vanacek have. Both for this season and going forward. What's the downside, giving up 6 goals in a regular season game? Oh, ok.

That path is 100% the best for the coming seasons, and probably what is best for this season.
In Holtbys defense. He didn't help his cause but the team really let him down. Goalie is mentally the toughest position to play.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Holtby sucked but when we have the lead in the third we have to get the puck in deep and cycle. Instead we are turning it over in the neutral zone leading to odd man rushes.
Oshie said it best. They were making selfish plays trying to create something out of nothing instead of just making the simple play. Get it out of the zone. I don't care if it's turtling. It's better than the results we are getting.
Come on. 3 consecutive blown leads in the 3rd period.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
In Holtbys defense. He didn't help his cause but the team really let him down. Goalie is mentally the toughest position to play.

Yes, no problem (especially since I didn't see the game). But don't we need to see what is best for the franchise, both today and going forward?

Note that I am not a Holtby hater, I'm just a Caps fan who wants the best for all of us.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe it’s cause he’s the best coach in Caps history and he was let go after winning a cup?

I’m just speculating.

Could also be because Reirden's coaching is highly questionable, at times even downright dumb...but just speculating, too....

Reactions: Heath and um

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
1st game vs someone who didn’t advance further than the Caps last year

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Maybe it’s cause he’s the best coach in Caps history and he was let go after winning a cup?

I’m just speculating.
I get that part but he chose to leave. He didn’t want to honor his contract. Let’s all move on and critique what is actually here.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Start Ilya against Dallas and get Holtby ready for Colorado and Toronto.
Yes Ilya against the Stars. If he wins then start him against the Avs and if he wins that then start him again! I'm sick of Holtby. You can't even count on him to give the team a full 60 min game.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad