GDT: Us vs. Them - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Holtby is who he is at this point and the team would do well to get Samsonov more playing time. Holtby's run of poor or inconsistent play isn't new; he's been bad since the 2016 playoffs (minus the Cup run). He was average in the 2017 regular season, awful in the 2017 playoffs, awful in the 2018 regular season, very good during the 2018 playoffs, average last season, bad last playoffs, and now he's trending towards another subpar season.

Also last night was really their first stinker of the year. They got cratered in pretty much every metric.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
1st goal: Jensen is lost, again. He goes running at his man who passes the puck and creates a mini 2-on-1, Orlov can't get into the passing lane and no chance for Holtby. No need for Jensen to jump in there.

2nd goal: Gudas gets caught, 2-on-1 and Orlov again can't block the pass. Johansen fumbles the puck but still gets stick on it. Holtby could have gotten it but that's not really one that i'd put on him.

3rd goal: Sort of a broken play. Puck gets shoved in by Johansen as Holtby had lost it. Again, it could have been prevented but that's as much on the D (Jensen and Gudas) not clearing the guys in front of him as it is on Holtby.

4th goal: Bad turnover by Leipsic. Jensen gets lost watching the play from the corner and loses his man. Wilson can't block the pass. No chance for Holtby.

5th goal: Bad goal. Puck gets shot into Holtby who fumbles it to Bonino who scores.

6th goal: I don't really blame that on Holtby. It's a great play by Arvidsson to set up that screen. Jensen and Orlov on the ice again for that goal against.

He should have been better for sure. I feel like it's a mistake from Reirden not to pull him after that 5th goal. Even if you think he hasn't been terrible then just to give them a wake-up call after their 2 previous collapses. Holtby stays and they lose.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Another one is WHY do they put Ovie out there for 3 on 3 overtime? You want your young, fast players out there, and preferably ones who back check and are defensively responsible. I mean, it's common sense, right?
2 years ago next week

3 more than anyone else all time

Last edited:

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Ah yes, 1 poster arrives and the Barry talk ensues. haha The same Barry who likely cost us a cup by playing Alzner, a slow skater who could barely hold onto a hockey stick, instead of Schmidty who was skating fast and dangerous whenever he had the puck and went on to play top minutes for a stanley cup contender while Alzner sank to the minors in Montreal. Let's not forget Barry almost was fired at least 2 times when he was here...maybe more. Todd has made mistakes too, but it's his 2nd year. Hope he learns fast because this board will become unbearable.

Moving forward:

Sammy better get the start in Dallas. He needs more NHL reps because it's obvious to me, Hole-tby is gone after this year.

Also, watching SlOvi skate, it looks like he is still hurt.

Vra-na-na needs more ice time.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ah yes, 1 poster arrives and the Barry talk ensues. haha The same Barry who likely cost us a cup by playing Alzner, a slow skater who could barely hold onto a hockey stick, instead of Schmidty who was skating fast and dangerous whenever he had the puck and went on to play top minutes for a stanley cup contender while Alzner sank to the minors in Montreal. Let's not forget Barry almost was fired at least 2 times when he was here...maybe more. Todd has made mistakes too, but it's his 2nd year. Hope he learns fast because this board will become unbearable.

Moving forward:

Sammy better get the start in Dallas. He needs more NHL reps because it's obvious to me, Hole-tby is gone after this year.

Also, watching SlOvi skate, it looks like he is still hurt.

Vra-na-na needs more ice time.

People have selective memories and suffer from recency bias. 95% of the people on this board wanted him canned multiple times, including in the spring of 2017 and in November 2017. Trotz had the best roster in the league for two years and was badly outcoached both times. He was outcoached in 2015 when they went up 3-1 against the Rangers. He frequently made terrible lineup and match up choices. I love Barry and always will, but when people say, "We let our Cup winning coach go," I would respond and say if he hadn't been so stubborn then they may have had more than one Cup and the conversation wouldn't need to be had. I remember watching with blind rage in 2017 as Alzner and Orpik were on the ice together as a pair (seriously, what the f*** was that) and a Penguins forward sliced through them like he was playing beer league to score a crushing goal. Barry's refusal to trust young guys and insert some more speed in the lineup so he could play his aging and immobile veterans was a fatal tactical error, and he did it over the course of multiple years despite it blowing up in his face, and it's crazy to me that people just gloss over that.

Jun 15, 2007
I honestly have no idea if Trotz is a good coach or not. Almost all coaches look like geniuses at some point then look like idiots later. Babcock is about to get run out of Toronto. Berube was a nobody until last year. Mike Johnson won 2 cups in a row and now Pens fans hate him. Bylsma too.

But.

I can confidently say Mitch Korn is a really good goalie coach. If he's attached to Trotz, then you have to keep Trotz. Simple as that.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I honestly have no idea if Trotz is a good coach or not. Almost all coaches look like geniuses at some point then look like idiots later. Babcock is about to get run out of Toronto. Berube was a nobody until last year. Mike Johnson won 2 cups in a row and now Pens fans hate him. Bylsma too.

But.

I can confidently say Mitch Korn is a really good goalie coach. If he's attached to Trotz, then you have to keep Trotz. Simple as that.
He was already dialing back his time working with Caps goalies and with Murray Gruby put up a .923 and Copley was solid last year. I'd rather he not be helping NYI though.

Reactions: Futures Passed

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
They need Kempny back and to get Siegenthaler on the 3rd pairing or sitting in the press box.

Roll with:
Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Gudas
Siegs-Jensen

Samsonov

Ease Kempny back into it though. Give other guys shifts with Carlson if they have to.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They need Kempny back and to get Siegenthaler on the 3rd pairing or sitting in the press box.

Roll with:
Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Gudas
Siegs-Jensen

Samsonov

Ease Kempny back into it though. Give other guys shifts with Carlson if they have to.

I’m not down on Seige like some, but agreed he needs to be on the appropriate pairing (3rd).

that 9-33 pair will be a joy to behold, just get it over with already Reirden. They’ll give up some horrible goals, will score some great ones, take some bad PIMs and decimate some opponents with highlight reels hits. I’ve wanted that pair from day 1, but roster complications...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't be opposed to trying out Orlov/Carlson again and letting them skate for 27+ minutes. Carlson is tied with Doughty and Trouba for the second highest salary among all defensemen this season ($12M), trailing only Erik Karlsson ($14M). Let's see if he can really be that elite, Norris-level defenseman that handles the toughest match-ups while still putting up offensive numbers. Shuffle up the other 4 behind them in a more sheltered role.

Generally speaking, I like the "smart" deployment of separating Carlson from the shutdown duties to maximize his offensive utility. But that didn't work at all last year, with the Orlov/Niskanen pairing falling to shit and the Kempny/Carlson pairing still bleeding chances against even in soft minutes. The last few games have seen similar, and the Caps don't even have Kempny to pair alongside Carlson right now. Might as well give a loaded pairing a chance while Kempny gets back to 100%.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Idk, they're both can provide offense while you need always one to stay at home. Imagine if Orlov and Carlson can provide 1 high danger attack per minute, you have 30 per game if they play together and 60 if separated.
Victor Hedman has skated with Kevin Shattenkirk and Mikhail Sergachev as his partners so far this year.Through 4 games, Hedman has 4 points (3ES), Sergachev has 5 points (3ES), and Shattenkirk has 4 points (3ES). You can absolutely have pairings where both players are offensively engaged and productive. Granted, Tampa also has the McDonagh/Cernak pairing to shift defensive load off of Hedman's pairing, but the Capitals have struggled with that philosophy ever since Niskanen's decline. But we've seen it other places as well, like Josi/Ellis in Nashville and Werenski/Jones in Columbus.

I'm not guaranteeing the Orlov/Carlson pairing would be the ideal scenario, but I think it's worth a shot considering the dysfunction in the defense so far. But it's worth a roll of the dice to see if a loaded pairing can produce a better overall team result. It's worked before with highly competitive teams. Girodano/Brodie last year, or going back you see some famous pairings like Suter/Weber, Pronger/Niedermayer, Lidstrom/Rafalski, etc.

Reactions: shtorm2005

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Victor Hedman has skated with Kevin Shattenkirk and Mikhail Sergachev as his partners so far this year.Through 4 games, Hedman has 4 points (3ES), Sergachev has 5 points (3ES), and Shattenkirk has 4 points (3ES). You can absolutely have pairings where both players are offensively engaged and productive. Granted, Tampa also has the McDonagh/Cernak pairing to shift defensive load off of Hedman's pairing, but the Capitals have struggled with that philosophy ever since Niskanen's decline. But we've seen it other places as well, like Josi/Ellis in Nashville and Werenski/Jones in Columbus.

I'm not guaranteeing the Orlov/Carlson pairing would be the ideal scenario, but I think it's worth a shot considering the dysfunction in the defense so far. But it's worth a roll of the dice to see if a loaded pairing can produce a better overall team result. It's worked before with highly competitive teams. Girodano/Brodie last year, or going back you see some famous pairings like Suter/Weber, Pronger/Niedermayer, Lidstrom/Rafalski, etc.
Yeah it's a gambling in some way. That's why I don't envie coach's job sometimes. First you need to see 10+ games how it works. It could work right away, but might fall later leaving you with same problem as at start of the season. It could not work right away, so you separate them after 10 games, while you could have a deadly pairing if you gave them 20+ games to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->