GDT: Us vs. Them - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Incorrect. The Caps had already decided that Reirden was going to be the guy. Trotz was to be a free agent but winning the Stanley Cup changed that. If Trotz stayed I guarantee the Caps would have fired him very early in the following season. Trotz did what was best for him.

I had (and still have) no problem with Trotz leaving. There were times in the past when I was calling for him to lose his job but I was as happy for him as I was for any Caps player when they won the Cup.

Rierden hasn't impressed me at all since he took over. As somebody said earlier, he inherited a Cup winning roster and a team that already knew the type of game to play and how to win.
I don't think he should be untouchable this season. It's only 5 games in so it's way too early for anything drastic.
We might be lucky that the Metro seems to be "collectively" weaker this season (apart from the Canes). In a really good division it's easy to fall out of the playoffs and end up playing catch up the entire season.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
You’ve got one goalie who is like .940 in 2019 and one guy who’s like .910 the last 3 years this shit is obvious

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Bull****

BMGM wanted to promote his buddy, it was obvious even before they won the cup.
Mac is buddies with Reirden?

And no. If we are talking facts Trotz and his rep signed a deal where if he won the cup an automatic two year extension kicked in with a modest raise. Trotz decided with his rep they wanted to re-negotiate. He should have honored the contract he signed and his rep negotiated.

Reactions: Sam Spade

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The defense looks much worse when every mistake goes in and the goaltending looks much worse when faced with a lot of high quality chances against.

I think you gotta give Samsonov the next start and get him in more frequently because they need to see what he has. However much Holtby was hung out to dry it’s looking more and more like he’s not going to be the long-term solution after this year. I don’t know if his mechanics have changed or if it’s all mental but even with the chances they’ve been giving up the past few years he’s just not getting the job done.

Meanwhile, I think at some point Rierden and his staff need to start feeling a little bit of pressure. The first 4 games were good from a defensive standpoint and if that’s the norm going forward then they’ll be fine. But they were out of sorts most of last season and if they return to that I think at some point a change will need to be explored.

But most importantly: the Mystics!

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Just watched the game, and I’m glad the pp/pk played well but 5v5 we were trash. The entire game I was hoping we would hold on to steal a point. 3rd periods are beginning to be a problem, not sure what’s up with that. And I’m not sure what the holtby hate is, out of the 6 goals i can’t blame him for 4 maybe 5. He could have played the pass better on the 5th and I would like to see him save the 6th. But if you expect your goalie to save the first four keep looking, because those were on the guys in front of him. Nashville ran circles around us tonight.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just watched the game, and I’m glad the pp/pk played well but 5v5 we were trash. The entire game I was hoping we would hold on to steal a point. 3rd periods are beginning to be a problem, not sure what’s up with that. And I’m not sure what the holtby hate is, out of the 6 goals i can’t blame him for 4 maybe 5. He could have played the pass better on the 5th and I would like to see him save the 6th. But if you expect your goalie to save the first four keep looking, because those were on the guys in front of him. Nashville ran circles around us tonight.
Holtby can't shut the door on games anymore. He needs a lot of team structure/shot blocking to be a good goalie. Samsonov, you can open the game up a bit more when he plays because he's more talented than Holtby.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
People being critical of the defense under Reirden, they were 1st in shots allowed going into today by 2 full shots, probably like 3rd now, this is without their 2nd best defenseman from last year, and Orlov is looking ridiculous without Niskanen (not a knock on Niskanen just statement of fact).

28 shots per game allowed against 5 playoff teams with Lewington, Fever playing his 1st games, Jensen getting #4 minutes. The thought that people are being unrealistic about Holtby and not unrealistic about how the defense should perform is absurd.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
People being critical of the defense under Reirden, they were 1st in shots allowed going into today by 2 full shots, probably like 3rd now, this is without their 2nd best defenseman from last year, and Orlov is looking ridiculous without Niskanen (not a knock on Niskanen just statement of fact).
I can't even remember when the Caps last played with Kempny in the lineup?! How many exact games was it, ago?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Since Calicaps isn't here to say it, I'll do so on her behalf: we didn't let Trotz go! He was always going to leave! :laugh:
That may be true but it indicates a fundamental problem in management: either the team was unwilling to pay top dollar for a coach who had demonstrated his bona fides, or Trotz thought the front office was being unreasonable to work with.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Barry had a much better personnel on D back then. Siegenthaler and Lewington shouldn't be in the NHL and Jensen has looked like trash since that trade. Reirden must be begging for Kempny to come back so he can limit the ES ice-time for the rest.

D hang him out to dry but Holtby was bad. He couldn't get the saves when they needed it. Maybe give some more games to IS to put Holtby on his heels. He knows he needs to be better.

Vrana who has been our best forward so far this season played slightly over 11 minutes tonight. Least among all forwards. Reirden needs to get his head off his ass and fast.

Reactions: max21 and Heath

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Vrana who has been our best forward so far this season played slightly over 11 minutes tonight. Least among all forwards. Reirden needs to get his head off his ass and fast.

He really does. It concerns me when coaches make - or don't make - decisions that we "laymen" are able to openly discuss and question. I mean these guys are highly paid professionals and there shouldn't be a lot of head scratching going on.

For example - why did Vrana play less than all other forwards?
Another one is WHY do they put Ovie out there for 3 on 3 overtime? You want your young, fast players out there, and preferably ones who back check and are defensively responsible. I mean, it's common sense, right?

I'd also ask (the folks in here) - is Djoos really worse than the D we have on our roster? He's an LD and instead the team is playing RD's in their off position - is Seigenthaler and / or Lewington better than Djoos?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He really does. It concerns me when coaches make - or don't make - decisions that we "laymen" are able to openly discuss and question. I mean these guys are highly paid professionals and there shouldn't be a lot of head scratching going on.

Another one is WHY do they put Ovie out there for 3 on 3 overtime? You want your young, fast players out there, and preferably ones who back check and are defensively responsible. I mean, it's common sense, right?

I'd also ask (the folks in here) - is Djoos really worse than the D we have on our roster? He's an LD and instead the team is playing RD's in their off position - is Seigenthaler and / or Lewington better than Djoos?

Siegenthaler is better than Djoos...not skillwise but overall he is. The way Djoos played during preseason (and before, to be honest) I think that Lewington is better, too. However, if Lewington cannot play LD, then they have to play a lefty over him as long as Kempny is out. LD Gudas doesn't work and they need Gudas to play 15-20 solid minutes at least. Djoos, Fehervary, Johansen etc...I don't care. But please call up somebody and stop the Gudas LD experiment.

Reactions: Heath

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
This is a punch in the balls, hopefully they get it together in Dallas or I sense one of those 7 game losing streaks like last year.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
It's logical, but...
Ovy's missing overtime will be big news, with some bad consequences.

Jun 15, 2007

:huh:

You called me out earlier for being negative when I was questioning GMBM's cap management.

It also doesn't matter if Djoos is better than anyone. We literally cannot make any adjustment to our defense because we don't have the cap space.

Djoos and Fehervary cannot be called up because they make too much money and we currently have less than 20k in cap space.

So we are stuck with our defense. Gudas playing his offside is better than Lewington playing his offside because Lewington is barely an NHLer.

That was literally the point of my comments.

So, do you care about the cap now?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I don't agree to that. Ovechkin is the single biggest goal-threat the Capitals, or any other team can throw out there in that situation. He should be out there. I don't really agree to the reasoning that young players should be the only ones out there, or that Ovechkin is a particularly slow player. If he's not fast enough to play 3-on-3 then this team doesn't have many options to have out there. He's certainly faster than guys like Backstrom or Oshie, for example. Every player makes mistakes and he's going to learn from it. He shouldn't try to go 1-on-3 at the risk of having an odd-man rush against for sure, but that doesn't mean he should be benched in those situations. Just needs to play smarter and use his teammates out there.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I can't even remember when the Caps last played with Kempny in the lineup?! How many exact games was it, ago?

He missed the last 8 regular season games last season, then the entire Playoffs and the games so far this season. So in total 20 games + pre-season.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Holtby can't shut the door on games anymore. He needs a lot of team structure/shot blocking to be a good goalie. Samsonov, you can open the game up a bit more when he plays because he's more talented than Holtby.

This is the crux of the problem right here. Of course some of this is on the D but that Bonino shot, how does that go in on an NHL goalie? Shots from the point or high slot, unscreened, that just beat Holtby, come on.

I don't know if Samsonov is the answer maybe it is Vanecek or Copley, but I know they kept SS up for a reason to see what he has, so let's get started on that. If they want to wait for Kempny I understand but it's time.

Caps have to figure something out. Carlson can’t sustain these minutes all season and be effective. They need to find a 7th dman that isn’t Lewington.

Not just being difficult here but Burns, Letang, other top guys, play these minutes every night, actually more. Carlson is younger than both of those guys so I think he can handle it.

Carlson is a officially a 1A dman now, this is how it goes for them.

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 8.46.57 AM.png

NHL.com - Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->