GDT: US Open :: Raonic & Bouchard eliminated

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If not for his height and great serve, Raonic wouldn't come close to his seeding. If his first serve averaged only 120 mph he might not make the top 50. He's not a smart tactician, he doesn't win his share of backhand-to-backhand cross-court rallies, and he's prone to making careless errors. Grand slam winner? Not likely. Who comes to mind? Perhaps Greg Rusedski, another hard server from Canada.

That's a little unfair. He's 6'5", and guys that tall have a tough time moving like the little guys (we've had this conversation about hockey players too, I'm sure). Federer, Djokovic and Nadal move well, but they are in the 6'1"-6'2" neighborhood. Nishikori is a pretty tough customer who is also on the rise. If you look at it from the standpoint of improving and making adjustments (keeping the ball in play more with a slice backhand rather than playing an aggressive shot from a defensive position), I think that Raonic is progressing well. Will he ever win a grand slam? Tough one. The stars will have to align and he will have to have the tournament of his life, but it's not inconceivable (Roddick won one!). But this is a men's game that is as deep as it's ever been, and this player has raised Canadian expections like no other male player before him.

That said, I think that outside of Serena, Bouchard can beat any woman on tour, so I like her chances better to win a Grand Slam event someday than Raonic's.

Edit: I think Raonic's game is much more complete than Rusedski, especially off the ground. If Rusedski had played Nishikori, the rallies would have been much shorter and one-sided to Nishikori's advantage. Rusedski would have come to the net more and been burned more.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Well he got really lucky in the draws this year, plus injuries to a lot of players contributed to his high ranking. Nishikori and Murray for example had problems with injuries and are ranked lower, Del Potro's been out almost all year. Next year will be a lot tougher for Milos, he's going to have a lot of points to defend to keep his ranking. I wouldn't be surprised if he falls out of the top 10.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Milos' overall game has evolved so drastically over the past year it's hard to not believe he'll win a major. He's a legit top 10 guy now (not just a couple lucky draws to slide in there) and shows no real reason to believe he won't continue to improve.

If anyone has any doubts about his game, do yourself a favour and watch his matches from last season compared to this year. His movements are much more fluid and purposeful and his backhand and volley is improving every day. Couple these improvements with his monster forehand and serve (best in the game for my money) and the sky's the limit.

As for Genie, she's the biggest mover on the women's side and if she can put aside all the hype around her and just continue to improve (with a new coach hopefully) she'll be #1 in the world soon enough. She has all the tools, just needs to learn how to construct points better and not worry about getting the big winner every point.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Milos' overall game has evolved so drastically over the past year it's hard to not believe he'll win a major. He's a legit top 10 guy now (not just a couple lucky draws to slide in there) and shows no real reason to believe he won't continue to improve.
Don't agree with that at all. I really have trouble believing he can win a major. Right now he's really far from contending in a major. It's one thing to get to quarters and it's another to beat guys like Fed, Djoker, Nadal or even Murray. He's very far from that. His record against the better players is laughable.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Don't agree with that at all. I really have trouble believing he can win a major. Right now he's really far from contending in a major. It's one thing to get to quarters and it's another to beat guys like Fed, Djoker, Nadal or even Murray. He's very far from that. His record against the better players is laughable.

He also didn't remotely show signs of improving his craft outside of his serve and ability to win tie breaks. He's becoming a different player. Nadal is always injured, Federer is going to slow down or retire in a couple years, Murray is overrated and Djokovic isn't going to win every tournament.

There is room for Milos to win and the progression curve he's on is excellent for a player of size and skill set. He's easily the best "big" player in the world right now, he just needs to continue to develop his return game.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He also didn't remotely show signs of improving his craft outside of his serve and ability to win tie breaks. He's becoming a different player. Nadal is always injured, Federer is going to slow down or retire in a couple years, Murray is overrated and Djokovic isn't going to win every tournament.

There is room for Milos to win and the progression curve he's on is excellent for a player of size and skill set. He's easily the best "big" player in the world right now, he just needs to continue to develop his return game.
Sure Fed is getting older but Milos still isn't closer to beating him than he was 2 years ago. Same thing against Nadal and Djokovic, he's not close to beating any of them, especially in a slam. I think he's 0 for against all 3. Say what you want about Murray, but he's won 2 slams and he's beaten Fed, Djokovic and Nadal in a grand slam..something Raonic will never achieve. Players like Raonic usually get to top 10 but they don't win slams. Look at how hard players like Del Potro, Murray, Berdych, Wawrinka have to work to even get a sniff of a grand slam win and they all have a much better all-around game than Raonic ever will. I will eat my words if he ever wins slam but I don't see it happening.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Many players have "progression curves" but they don't necessarily lead to Grand Slam titles. I don't agree that Murray is overrated. He's won two Grand Slams against Djokovic in the finals. Nor is Nadal always injured and when he returns he could make mincemeat out of Raonic's backhand. Wawrinka should be added to your brief list of formidable veterans. Is Raonic superior to Dimitrov, another rising player with a power game? Finally, some young player we don't know about could burst upon the scene the way Pete Sampras did in 1990.

Don't you think Raonic should have made an appearance in a Grand Slam final or even semifinal by now?

habitue*

I hope Bouchard's off court sudden celebrity won't eat her alive like that Russian babe few years ago (???), you know Bure's or (Fedorov's) ex-girlfriend, Anna Kournikova.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I hope Bouchard's off court sudden celebrity won't eat her alive like that Russian babe few years ago (???), you know Bure's or (Fedorov's) ex-girlfriend, Anna Kournikova.
If she does make it as a celebrity she'll be rich, although she's not as glamorous as Kournikova. By the way, Anna was a pretty good tennis player.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If she does make it as a celebrity she'll be rich, although she's not as glamorous as Kournikova. By the way, Anna was a pretty good tennis player.

Teuf, sometimes a modern athlete trumps an older one to whom he or she is compared. From their respective wikis...

Bouchard:
Singles
Career record 161–88[2]
Career titles 1 WTA, 6 ITF
Highest ranking No. 7 (July 7, 2014)
Current ranking No. 8 (August 25, 2014)
Grand Slam Singles results
Australian Open SF (2014)
French Open SF (2014)
Wimbledon F (2014)
US Open 4R (2014)

Kournikova:
Singles
Career record 209–129
Career titles 0 WTA, 2 ITF[1]
Highest ranking No. 8 (20 November 2000)
Grand Slam Singles results
Australian Open QF (2001)
French Open 4R (1998, 1999)
Wimbledon SF (1997)
US Open 4R (1996, 1998)

Bouchard already competes better and has won more. Who's hotter? :naughty: Well, I keep catching myself lately from triggering babe threads... I say it's pretty close. They are both extraordinarily good-looking women, especially when you consider that they are athletes on top of that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Wow, Nishikori just took Djokovic out and will play the winner of Federer/Cilic in the final.

Great run by Nishikori defeating Raonic, Wawrinka & Djokovic.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why do so many hate on Raonic. It's great people cheer for him due to represent Canada. Ton of people are getting into tennis due to him. Doesn't have to be the greatest player in the world to be loved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00