Tennis: US Open 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Picked Nole to win, but rooting most for Rafa, even more than Roger, this time around.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the end of the day, I'm more concerned with Felix's health than anything else about the US Open. His condition puts a pall on an otherwise good opening day.

Reactions: MsMeow

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Picked Nole to win, but rooting most for Rafa, even more than Roger, this time around.

I'm a Stan guy. There's no better shot maker than him when he's on his game (maybe DelPo who is my 2nd favorite player) and I hate how underrated he is as one of the greats of this generation so I hope he can make another long run in this tournament and continue to prove the doubters wrong. Unfortunately, I have doubts that his body will hold up going into the 2nd week.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm a Stan guy. There's no better shot maker than him when he's on his game (maybe DelPo who is my 2nd favorite player) and I hate how underrated he is as one of the greats of this generation so I hope he can make another long run in this tournament and continue to prove the doubters wrong. Unfortunately, I have doubts that his body will hold up going into the 2nd week.
If Stan wins, I'd be delighted, too. It seems almost odd sometimes, but among the ultra elite of the golden generation in men's tennis there really are no villains.

Reactions: McCupofOil

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If Stan wins, I'd be delighted, too. It seems almost odd sometimes, but among the ultra elite of the golden generation in men's tennis there really are no villains.

This is true. In fact, add in someone who is on the fringe like DelPo who is probably loved as much as Roger. It's refreshing to not hate someone because of their personality or bad behaviour on court.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Not that he's a villain necessarily, but Murray was a guy who was pretty hard to cheer for especially in his early years. I've softened on him over the past few years but the constant grumpiness gets a little grating after a while.

In a way, the sport needs a bit of a villain or a should I say a more outspoken top player (like Roddick for example). As high quality as the tennis has been in this generation, there really isn't that alpha male personality out there or a rivalry where the players detest each other (McEnroe/Connors for example). Kyrgios competing for Grand Slam Titles would qualify but since he seems to hate the sport, don't see that ever happening.

Nevertheless, this is the Golden Era as far as quality tennis players are concerned and it doesn't appear to be coming to an end anytime soon despite Father Time's best efforts.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Conditions looking even worse today in NY. 33C feels like 42 this afternoon. More retirements coming I'm sure.

Wednesday looking the same. Brutal conditions.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Chung dug out of a hole (a couple of times) in the second set.

Copil gave Cilic a really tough match in Cincinnati and looks like he'll do the same here. Copil up big first set.

Copil blew that set big time.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A hell of a lot of empty seats. Only iguanas would want to endure this....my god, there is one in the front row. :eek:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Set apiece. Neither Nole nor Fucsovics look like this is their idea of a good time. This is cruel and unusual punishment, and I'm surprised the ATP doesn't have a rule for a situation like this as playing in such conditions is not in the interests of either the players or the fans.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole breaks back as Fucsovics has resorted to serving almost exclusively second serves.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fog looks like a hideous abomination of an American flag. He has the tackiest gear of anyone on the tour. Lost the first set, too.

This will give you some idea of his outfit:

Hydrogen-Outfir-Fognini-US-Open-2018.jpg

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Noles, down 2-4, recovers to win 6-4. Crisis almost certainly averted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad