Tennis: US Open 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh man, that was hard to watch, the body just failed him. I live in New York and it's horrendous out there so it's tough on these players.
Great sportsmanship by Shapovalov, that was great to see.

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
I know he has heart issues, but I am wondering if it might just be anxiety of being on the biggest stage. It can really zap your energy from my experiences with it.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The doctor was trying to rehydrate him and cool him down. My guess what the heat, but the French Canadian broadcast said he has had problems like that before (irregular heart beat).

Yeah it's a known issue that he's had in the past. The heat and adrenaline probably just too much.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Felix has had heart issues in the past, it really sucks to see it rear it's head at a slam as that was the biggest fear some had for him.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Hard to watch, especially as it suggests this may be a more serious recurring issue. Shapo's reaction - which showed how close they are and that they're both great kids - seemed to confirm this isn't the first time. He has played a lot of tennis recently, the conditions are tough, but it's still worrying. Hopefully it's more like when Djokovic had his breathing issues, something that can be managed and overcome, rather than something like what Mardy Fish had.

The match itself was uneven and sloppy, but a teaser of their respective abilities. I agree with those who say FAA has more potential, health issues notwithstanding. There's still a lot of projection required, but he has remarkable all-round ability, and you could see both strokes and his serve becoming bigger weapons with time. It will also be interesting to see where he lands between offence and defence as well. While not as flagrantly aggressive as Shapo, he constructs points very well

Shapo continues his inconsistent play, and he's becoming more transparent in his frustration. My best guess is it's a bit like a young pitcher struggling once the book is out on his stuff around the league, and he has to learn and adjust now that he can't just power through the best. That should come, especially as it doesn't appear - in my somewhat infrequent viewings - to be grounded in specific weaknesses on the court. In fact, I'd say he's moving better and showing more confidence at the net than a year ago, two weaknesses that were evident even when he shot up the rankings. A (new) coach may help though.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Anderson in big trouble against Harrison (who is playing maybe the best tennis of his career).

With Querrey and Rublev already out, the draw could open up a bit for Denis.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I missed the end of the second and came back in the third. That was tough to watch. Hopefully it isn't his heart issues appearing again.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, the Williams sisters are among the game's all time greats (Serena's probably the best female tennis player ever), that said there's 126 other ladies in the draw. Focus some on them, show their matches.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Can't wait for the Williams sisters to retire. Must they show every match? Theres seriously no better matches out there tonight than the one Serena will win 2-0?
I wish it were other sometimes, too, but I doubt if most paying customers do. Probably 90% of the people who paid for the evening session were likely very happy that Serena was on the night card. The Open would have been foolhardy not to put her on centre court. In general, though, American players always get the lion's share of the spotlight at the US Open. It's annoying but it's been that way for as long as I can remember. It's pretty much the same in every country, though.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The new (ish) Kevin almost choked but managed to hold serve for the match. Credit to him, though: there is a world of difference between nearly choking and choking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad