Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Official Site of the US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

Qualifying underway this week!

Final major of the year and should be highly anticipated.

Nadal and Stephens are defending champions.

Can Nadal repeat?

Djokovic coming off a MS1000 win in Cincinnati, which completes the Golden Masters for him. Should be coming in very confident.

Can Federer win another major?

Then there is a long list of players who could make a run, with some past champions mixed in.

On the Women's side, I'd say it's fairly wide open. A few favorites, but the WTA is always unpredictable for me.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Qualifying draw is out and play begins tomorrow. Bunch of Canadians in there (3 men and 4 women). Felix has a good draw and hopefully he can to get his first GS main draw. He won the junior title at the USO in 2015 I think it was.

Reactions: kihei and MsMeow

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky won his first round Q match and Bouchard won hers against fellow Canadian Zhao.

The rest start tomorrow.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Look for Stan to do some damage at the USO. Would not want him on my side of the draw, that's for sure.

That's what I was thinking too. He's getting his form back and always performs well on hard courts, movement still isn't at 100% though.

Djokovic has to be the heavy favorite, he's in top form now and is beaming with confidence.
Kind of amazing that we are still talking about the "Big 3" as the overwhelming favorites post-30 with another 30+ as the dark horse. DelPo and Cilic are the other contenders IMO, more (now) 30+ year olds.

Don't see any of the Next Gen guys getting a sniff although Tsitsipas seems to have the mental makeup to make a run. As nice as it is to see the old guard still going strong, the sport really needs a breakthrough from one of the young players at some point soon.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't see Del Potro winning, he's too banged up. Can't see him lasting two weeks.

I'd say Djokovic is my favorite right now but I'm hoping for a surprise winner.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix through after a shaky closeout.

Peliwo broken serving for the first set then loses the tiebreak.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Outside of the Big Three, I don't really see anybody who I feel confident can win the US Open right now. I suppose Stan, maybe. So I'm going with a boring pick: Djokovic. On the women's side, I like Sloane to repeat. US player competing in New York in the one GS that she has already won. Gotta like her chances a little.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Outside of the Big Three, I don't really see anybody who I feel confident can win the US Open right now. I suppose Stan, maybe. So I'm going with a boring pick: Djokovic. On the women's side, I like Sloane to repeat. US player competing in New York in the one GS that she has already won. Gotta like her chances a little.

I'm going with Rafa. I don't follow the women enough to make a pick.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa has the easiest draw, true, a cakewalk for three rounds. After that, though, things could still get interesting for him, especially with Anderson in his quarter and Stan in his half. Fed definitely has an unbelievably brutal draw (Nishioka, Paire, Kyrgios, Fognini, Djokovic, Sascha, Nadal--if all goes according to plan), but how many times have we've seen such draws fall apart after two rounds? Nole's draw is only tough because he runs into Roger in the quarters who might not make it that far. On the women's side, the pain is pretty much spread around. Stephens has a doable draw. Still going with Nole and Sloane.

Reactions: Tuggy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad