Injury Report: Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) | Neal (concussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Really good post in that article
Also, with all of the talk of visors that has been going on since the Marc Staal injury. I personally feel the real reason that most are against the visors is that it will curb fighting in the league due to the fact that they would have to take off their helmets to fight, and then what would happen if one of them hit their head on the ice and was severely injured or lost their life because of it.
We have all seen injured players wear the following helmets with the protective face gear. Why don’t they just go to this for everyone?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
i don't know why players don't wear combo cages, all of them grew up playing in cages up until jr's at least.

Personally I don't find cages all that restrictive for vision purposes, the combo's where you have a visor up top and a cage down below. Those I would have issues with only because I'd not change the visor part often enough (cheap *******) and after a while they start to fog some. Thinking the cost of visors/cages are not an issue at the NHL level.

You just take all the eye/broken jaw/facial injury stuff out of the game at that point.

I *really* don't understand the rec league players that play with no visor, one guy on my team has been hit, in the eye with a puck and still refuses to wear a visor...

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
i don't know why players don't wear combo cages, all of them grew up playing in cages up until jr's at least.

Personally I don't find cages all that restrictive for vision purposes, the combo's where you have a visor up top and a cage down below. Those I would have issues with only because I'd not change the visor part often enough (cheap *******) and after a while they start to fog some. Thinking the cost of visors/cages are not an issue at the NHL level.

You just take all the eye/broken jaw/facial injury stuff out of the game at that point.

I *really* don't understand the rec league players that play with no visor, one guy on my team has been hit, in the eye with a puck and still refuses to wear a visor...

I think they should wear cages too but players aren't allowed to wear one unless they have an injury IIRC. It is kind of stupid though. Crosby and so many other unnecessary injuries happen due to the league, the NHLPA and the players not erring on the side of safety and making guys wear cages.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I think they should wear cages too but players aren't allowed to wear one unless they have an injury IIRC. It is kind of stupid though. Crosby and so many other unnecessary injuries happen due to the league, the NHLPA and the players not erring on the side of safety and making guys wear cages.

for the record, I cannot play in a cage.. my eyes involuntarily get focused on the bars far too often when im playing.. I can play in a full face shield though, but the problem with those is they get fogged up sometimes.

I mostly play with a visor, I will sport a full shield if im playing more competitively.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Edit: People beat me to it. If Sid is able to get some dental work done already, is that a good sign that he's able to open his mouth?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Edit: People beat me to it. If Sid is able to get some dental work done already, is that a good sign that he's able to open his mouth?

He was scheduled to have this dental work sometime this week.
Good that it's earlier in the week.
Just needs to maintain whatever diet he can, get the swelling down, then start to ride the bike, etc.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
He was scheduled to have this dental work sometime this week.
Good that it's earlier in the week.
Just needs to maintain whatever diet he can, get the swelling down, then start to ride the bike, etc.

I knew he was scheduled for some, I just thought it was awfully fast considering just two days ago he said he couldn't even talk because of swelling.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Call me crazy, but I've thought from the onset that this could be a very short injury. I have my fingers crossed for Sid returning in a week or so.

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
Ok....You're crazy. Shero just said he probably does not acquire Jokinen if not for Sids injury. You don't make this trade if you think it will be just a week.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Call me crazy, but I've thought from the onset that this could be a very short injury. I have my fingers crossed for Sid returning in a week or so.

With the Patty Lafontaine Chin Guard of DOOOOOOOM!!!
PatLaFontaineheadgear.jpg

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, I think Sid will be out a minimum of 3 to 3 1/2 weeks, imo.

Three weeks is probably most likely. But I'm holding out hope that 2 1/2 is plausible.

It's impossible to know though, even if they do give a timeline.

Earlier this year when Pacioretty had his appendectomy they thought he'd be out a month and he was back in like 8 days.

Then of course last year when Sid was sat out the second time around they said he'd sit for 2-3 days and it ended up being months.

And then there was that really funny time that they thought Neal would be out six weeks with a broken bone in his foot, but it turned out that it had been broken for years and he never noticed. Didn't even miss a game :laugh:

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
We'll find out. At this point everything is pure speculation. The pessimist says Crosby isn't back before the playoffs, the optimist says he's back much sooner. I just prefer to think optimistically in this case.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
No Genius, Shero inquired prior to making other deals. He just said 5 minutes ago he probably doesn't make this deal if not for the injury.

Well the things that they tweet on the Pens twitter aren't full statements. Even still, if you put all the comments together he basically said that he likes that Jokinen is versatile and can play all forward positions which helps the depth situation with Crosby being out.

Whether Sid is out for a week or a month, do you really want Tyler Kennedy as a second line center? I know I don't. The price was cheap, too.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I actually believe Shero this time when he says he doesn't know how long Crosby will be out. I doubt he's back as quickly as a week (Knuble looks to have gone brought a very similar injury and was back in 8 days with plates and screws in his jaw) but I don't think 2 weeks is that far fetched depending on what Crosbh and the Pens want to do and how risk adverse they are.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Crosby is tough, but i dont think he's a risk taker when it comes to injuries IMO. There can be some pretty serious complications from a broken jaw, so i dont think he'll rush just to stock his trophy case.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Crosby is tough, but i dont think he's a risk taker when it comes to injuries IMO. There can be some pretty serious complications from a broken jaw, so i dont think he'll rush just to stock his trophy case.

I don't think he'll rush back to stock his trophy case, but I do think the minute he is okay enough to play he will. He's a competitor who loves the game. After working so hard to come back from the concussion/neck issue, just for something like this to happen has to make him even more determined to come back quickly and destroy the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad