Updated: Wings sending Zadina to WJC

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Of all the top 20 scores in the NHL right now, how many dominated the WJC?? It's not as easy as 2+2=4 . Sucking in the WJC and the AHL doesn't mean you will suck in the NHL just like dominating doesn't mean you are an NHL player. Ex. Pulkinen. GM's coaches scouts are wrong all the time! Prime example is how many HOF players went UNDRAFTED or very late in rounds.

All of them minus Monahan.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Everyone keeps saying dominating offensively will really help his confidence.

Doesn't mean the opposite is true too? It's only a couple games. If he has a cold streak, gets some bad bounces, or just flat out doesn't play well... doesn't it have the potential to destroy his confidence as well?

If he has so weak confidence, he will never be NHL player, no matter what we do with the guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How do you define dominating? Was Blake Wheelers 2 points in 7 games dominating? How about Mackinnons 1 point in 6 games?

At least 75% of the guys in the top 20 in scoring had a showing at the WJC (U18 or U20) where they were PPG or better.

So that original point was pretty off.

MacKinnon missed the U18’s because of the Memorial Cup runs of Halifax, and then played at the U20’s as a barely 17 year old, so he’s a different case than everyone else on there.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If he has so weak confidence, he will never be NHL player, no matter what we do with the guy.
Exactly. The guy made the NHL and was a lottery pick if his confidence is on egg shells like most seem to suggest he will be if he "fails" coming up to the wings then he will never be good no matter how much "hiding" from the NHL we give him. I know high school kids that have the confidence to play in the NHL and not the skill. He isn't a baby he is a grown man.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And Duchene, who didn't play because he was in the NHL. Rantanen .75 ppg, Point .75ppg, Eichel .9ppg

Point had a ppg tournament in 15-16

Rantanen had a ppg tournament in 13-14

Eichel had 15 pts in 12 games in 13-14 between the U18 and U20

Duchene had 8 pts in 7 games at the U18’s in his only showing for Canda before the draft.

Most of the top scorers in the league played for their country at the U18’s or U20’s and had a strong tournment. Not sure why this is something we are even debating.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Point had a ppg tournament in 15-16

Rantanen had a ppg tournament in 13-14

Eichel had 15 pts in 12 games in 13-14 between the U18 and U20

Duchene had 8 pts in 7 games at the U18’s in his only showing for Canda before the draft.

Most of the top scorers in the league played for their country at the U18’s or U20’s and had a strong tournment. Not sure why this is something we are even debating.

Context matters. Discussion is about the u-20 tournament specifically. That is the juniors main stage. Don’t get all pissy when your “all of them “ statement gets challenged.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Context matters. Discussion is about the u-20 tournament specifically. That is the juniors main stage. Don’t get all pissy when you “all of them “ statement gets challenged.

I consider them both to be premier tournaments, but if you are just looking at one (U20) then I get it.

Reactions: Winger98

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Context matters. Discussion is about the u-20 tournament specifically. That is the juniors main stage. Don’t get all pissy when your “all of them “ statement gets challenged.

I mean sure dont count Mackinnon I guess because he didnt dominate the world juniors but I think its a bad argument when he was playing as a top line NHLer for 2 years when he could've played in the tournament. Most of the top 20 had a very strong WJC showing, unless they were in the NHL when they were still eligible. So guys like Mackinnon, Duchene and Landeskog dont have dominant WJC but have 50-60 or so point NHL seasons while eligible for theworld juniors still.

So Wheeler is really the only one it appears in the top 20 without a dominant WJC, unless the player was already in the NHL playing a top line role.

Christien

May 1, 2010
He’s expected to play tomorrow for the Griffins, been dealing with a nagging injury and was only DTD

Reactions: lilidk

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Zadina will be in the lineup for the Griffins game tonight in Milwaukee. Camper suffered injury in 3rd period in Iowa and he will not play tonight. Sateri in net for Griffins and McCollum in net for the Admirals.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I’m extremely excited about Zadina. I think the guy is an enormous talent. Exudes it.

Wasn’t surprised he sort of struggled in the preseason, but had flashes of his talent.

His time in GR has been rocky, but has gotten better. But I’d be lying if I’d say it’d be okay if he didn’t do anything special in the tourney.

He does need to show something there. Even a nice couple of goals would go a long way.

That said, the tourney is in no future bearing. It will not ruin his potential great career if he doesn’t wow.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Zadina was hurt tonight. Not sure what kind of injury but it was stated that he hobbled off the ice and has yet to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad