Updated: Wings sending Zadina to WJC

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Zadina, You're Breaking My Heart :snide:

Canada's going to have a hard time repeating the Gold Medal now that Zadina's playing, it's kind of bittersweet.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
So you all saying it was a mistake to send Cholo to junior's ,he should have stayed in GR, because AHl is better for his development
Cholowski was not physically mature enough to play in the AHL last year. Juniors was the best option.

Reactions: Larkin1578

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Only Veleno should go. Ras is a everday NHL'er. Zadina would miss ~ 1 month development/training with GR staff...WJC camp starts Dec. 10th, tourney ends Jan 5th, so by the time he got back to GR it'd be 1-6-19...1 month.

Neither Rasmussen or Zadina need to be in camp. We can loan them at the time of our choosing. I doubt their National Teams won't take that? I feel like they would likely crawl over broken glass even Canada to get these guys back, so we can dictate terms. We could loan them later in the process if it suits us. The Wings hold the power cards here, both guys are sure fire takes if they are available.

I would keep it up to the guys though. If I am Rasmussen I am not sure the World Juniors are worth missing out on two weeks of NHL pay. Plus if I was to accidentally get injured (to be clear that could happen here) but if he doesn't get to 40 games this year I think it impacts how quickly he gets through to UFA. Larkin is about as crazy as you get with USA hockey and he didn't want a part of being loaned when he was still eligible at 19. When you are where you want to be, the tournament might not have the pull some want, especially with the NA guys in my opinion.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Neither Rasmussen or Zadina need to be in camp. We can loan them at the time of our choosing. I doubt their National Teams won't take that? I feel like they would likely crawl over broken glass even Canada to get these guys back, so we can dictate terms. We could loan them later in the process if it suits us. The Wings hold the power cards here, both guys are sure fire takes if they are available.

I would keep it up to the guys though. If I am Rasmussen I am not sure the World Juniors are worth missing out on two weeks of NHL pay. Plus if I was to accidentally get injured (to be clear that could happen here) but if he doesn't get to 40 games this year I think it impacts how quickly he gets through to UFA. Larkin is about as crazy as you get with USA hockey and he didn't want a part of being loaned when he was still eligible at 19. When you are where you want to be, the tournament might not have the pull some want, especially with the NA guys in my opinion.

Ken and Mickey basically confirmed Rasmussen is definitely not going to the World Juniors the other night against TB.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Disagree that Zadina wouldn't get anything out of the WJC. It may be a step or two down from the AHL but Zadina is going to be one of the top dogs on that team. Thats a much different role than being a teenage rookie in the A. He's going to be representing his country in a feisty tournament facing the best defense his peers have to offer. I think it'll be good for him.

Reactions: Oddbob

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Then what if he sucks? He can get his big-dog swagger in the NHL

If you are worried about him sucking at the WJC that he already dominated before.... How on earth is he going to get swagger in the NHL where the players are several orders of magnitude better?

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Glad he is going. Will help him with his confidence as he dominates the tourney and I'm sure he will be pumped to see his Czech buddies too!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Is there a chance Veleno doesn't make it? Hard to imagine given the numbers he's putting up.

I would say he has an inside track at the team with the numbers hes been putting up but isnt a complete lock either. Hes being looked at as a bottom 6 center which his PK ability and skating will definitely help with but theres other good players competing for those spots as well. I have a hard time seeing him not make it if his points per game is still ~top 3 in the Q but hes a guy that cant have a bad camp and still make it

Reactions: The Zermanator

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So he is treading water in the A and you all are hoping this is going to make some huge change in his game?

Moving down a competition tier (for a lack of a better term) can absolutely help a player develop.

Leon Draisaitl struggled through 37 games as a rookie went down to the WHL, dominated then returned to the NHL as 50 point sophomore.

Gustav Nyquist had a taste of the NHL from 2011-2013 putting up 13 points in 40 NHL games, spent much of the 12-13 and the start of 13-14 dominating the AHL and hit the ground running upon his return to the NHL in dec 2014.

Dennis Cholowski, played okay in the NCAA but was often over matched by bigger and stronger competition. He then went to the WHL for a year, made some adjustments, dominated and then made his way onto the NHL roster this season.

Playing at a higher level can reveal what you need to work on. These guys can take those lessons and apply a focus to improve certain deficiencies (skating, strength, confidence, decision making, etc) at a lower level of hockey where they have a little more opportunity. They can then return/advance to the next level with improved skill sets and better confidence.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If you are worried about him sucking at the WJC that he already dominated before.... How on earth is he going to get swagger in the NHL where the players are several orders of magnitude better?
Of all the top 20 scores in the NHL right now, how many dominated the WJC?? It's not as easy as 2+2=4 . Sucking in the WJC and the AHL doesn't mean you will suck in the NHL just like dominating doesn't mean you are an NHL player. Ex. Pulkinen. GM's coaches scouts are wrong all the time! Prime example is how many HOF players went UNDRAFTED or very late in rounds.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So he is treading water in the A and you all are hoping this is going to make some huge change in his game?

I think treading water is a pretty unfair characterization at this point. Maybe his first ten games but since then he's been on the up-and-up. Working harder, winning battles, covering all those bases coaches are crazy about, and his production is back up too. He's succeeding in the AHL and learning what the Wings want him to. That's not treading water.

I think going to the WJC, he can relax a bit on his defensive responsibilities and dominate offensively again as "the guy." When you're playing, you have a different mentality as the best player on your team versus just another soldier. This will get him back into that "I should be a superstar" mindset.

Then he can come back to the AHL afterwards, still do all the things he needs to at this level and bring some confidence, creativity and the mindset that he needs to be the difference-maker with him from the WJC. Plus he's representing his country and wanted to go. This is a good reward for his hard work. The carrot is almost always more motivating than the stick.

Reactions: SirloinUB

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Everyone keeps saying dominating offensively will really help his confidence.

Doesn't mean the opposite is true too? It's only a couple games. If he has a cold streak, gets some bad bounces, or just flat out doesn't play well... doesn't it have the potential to destroy his confidence as well?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Doesn't mean the opposite is true too? It's only a couple games. If he has a cold streak, gets some bad bounces, or just flat out doesn't play well... doesn't it have the potential to destroy his confidence as well?

I actually thought about this briefly and it comes down to risk-reward. Is it possible that he struggles and his confidence takes a hit? yea I suppose.

I can't imagine its a likely outcome though. First how many top picks actually struggle at this tournament? Not many. Second, He is producing at a much higher level of competition already. Lastly, in theory, he should be a better, more complete player than last year when he dominated. So to me it seems unlikely he struggles at this tournament baring some unfortunate puck luck, which probably won't impact his confidence one way or the other.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
"Practice begins next week, but Zadina won't leave until after the Griffins' Dec. 19 game, Martin said.

He is allowed to go, but the time is limited.

Yeah, by going late he's getting another 7 games in with the Griffins, could get another seven games there, so he's not missing as much playing time as he would if he went to the full camp and what not. thought it was telling that both Martin (GM) and Simon (coach) mentioned the tournament hopefully not allowing Zadina to drift into some bad habits with how he'll be given more latitude with his play.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

He has amazing chemistry with Necas, so I don't see that happening. Those two are going to play a ton of prime minutes together, and they were already dominating last year. They should be even moreso now.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think treading water is a pretty unfair characterization at this point. Maybe his first ten games but since then he's been on the up-and-up. Working harder, winning battles, covering all those bases coaches are crazy about, and his production is back up too. He's succeeding in the AHL and learning what the Wings want him to. That's not treading water.

I think going to the WJC, he can relax a bit on his defensive responsibilities and dominate offensively again as "the guy." When you're playing, you have a different mentality as the best player on your team versus just another soldier. This will get him back into that "I should be a superstar" mindset.

Then he can come back to the AHL afterwards, still do all the things he needs to at this level and bring some confidence, creativity and the mindset that he needs to be the difference-maker with him from the WJC. Plus he's representing his country and wanted to go. This is a good reward for his hard work. The carrot is almost always more motivating than the stick.
I'm fine with him going, I hope it does help him, hes young and needs the confidence boost. I just hope he does not go back down kill it and come back and struggle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad