Updated: Wings sending Zadina to WJC

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Its a tough one because if he goes and dominates it could be good for his confidence and help him building on a solid few weeks in GR. If he doesn't however it could really set him back and counter act the progress he has made. I'd probably lean towards no, unless it is super high on his list.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I would probably send him, but it's a tough one because he's finally adjusting his game to the pros and I can understand why the Wings don't want to ruin the momentum.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't send either of them. They'll get more development time in their respective leagues than going to play a handful of competitive games in a tournament. The most actual games they could play in the WJC is seven. For reference sake, Zadina would miss I think 5 or 6 in that week alone. not to mention the games, practice, etc. he'd be missing in GR for the two weeks of camp.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Let him go (assuming he wants to). Hate it how teams have double standards about letting American and Canadian kids go but won't always let European kids go.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hate it how teams have double standards about letting American and Canadian kids go but won't always let European kids go.
Wings probably aren't letting Rasmussen go either

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Would the WJC be a bigger challenge for him than remaining with his current team during that stretch? If so, then send him. For all the risk of hurting his confidence by him having a poor tournament, there's also the chance of hurting his confidence in saying you don't think he's ready for the WJC.

Zadina seems like a kid with plenty of self worth (in a good way). Let him push the envelope in whatever (reasonable) challenge he can.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would the WJC be a bigger challenge for him than remaining with his current team during that stretch? If so, then send him. For all the risk of hurting his confidence by him having a poor tournament, there's also the chance of hurting his confidence in saying you don't think he's ready for the WJC.

Zadina seems like a kid with plenty of self worth (in a good way). Let him push the envelope in whatever (reasonable) challenge he can.

I don't think they'd be telling him they don't think he can handle the WJC. The way I'm reading this is that they don't see it as something that will help his development and if they let him go it's pretty much just because he really wants to and they are comfortable with him losing that development time in GR.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Rasmussen is regular Red wings , he stay . I don't see any reasons not let him go , unless he doesn't wont to go . I really like to see how he is progressing , him , Veleno , lil Otto and the rest off prospects

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That Horcroff interview that was linked mentioned this, I'd be surprised if he doesn't go tbh.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm really not sure which is more valuable. I agree with the notion that the AHL is definitely a tougher league than the WJC and he's just getting some momentum so letting him get back to junior tendencies wouldn't be the best. The other side is that I think exposure to other top prospects in these best-on-best tournaments can be really informative and motivating. He's had all year in GR and he'll have more time after the WJC. Being thrown into a new environment against the best of his peers could be really valuable. I'd say let Zadina do whatever he prefers. If he wants to try to dominate the WJC, let him. If he thinks he'll make more progress in GR, let him.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
WJC is only a big deal for Canadian fans. To the rest of the world it's just a amateur tournament. He's much better off learning to be a pro in Grand Rapids than being a kid again in some minor hockey tournament. WJC is good for CHL prospects and their equivalent around the world because it beings all the top talent together and you see them against their peers rather than the watered down leagues they play in otherwise. AHL is better competition than the WJC. Grand Rapids Griffins smoke any WJC team.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
WJC is only a big deal for Canadian fans. To the rest of the world it's just a amateur tournament. He's much better off learning to be a pro in Grand Rapids than being a kid again in some minor hockey tournament. WJC is good for CHL prospects and their equivalent around the world because it beings all the top talent together and you see them against their peers rather than the watered down leagues they play in otherwise. AHL is better competition than the WJC. Grand Rapids Griffins smoke any WJC team.
I think a variety of situations and different coaches and teammates will benefit him more than playing with the same team has played for since the start of the season. I also think that playing for a medal in such a short tournament where every game means so much is also beneficial.
For all of the people involved it's not just another amateur tournament.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm really not sure which is more valuable. I agree with the notion that the AHL is definitely a tougher league than the WJC and he's just getting some momentum so letting him get back to junior tendencies wouldn't be the best. The other side is that I think exposure to other top prospects in these best-on-best tournaments can be really informative and motivating. He's had all year in GR and he'll have more time after the WJC. Being thrown into a new environment against the best of his peers could be really valuable. I'd say let Zadina do whatever he prefers. If he wants to try to dominate the WJC, let him. If he thinks he'll make more progress in GR, let him.

I would think playing against professional hockey players would be more informative than playing against other teenagers. I don't think that Zadina's peers are the top junior prospects anymore.
If he's dying to play in it, I'd let him go, but I would much rather he play against superior competition as part of a team than against a bunch of the top teens. Were he not already drafted, he should certainly play, but what does he stand to gain by playing in the WJC now that staying in GR wouldn't get him? I want Zadina playing against guys who think like NHL players instead of think like juniors stars.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think either can be good for Zadina.

He’s been a big time international performer so far, so it might fire him up a bit.

He’s also heating up in the AHL, so maybe you just let him keep building on that.

Reactions: Ezekial and Jurky

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not sure it’s a lock he gets picked?

They seem pretty set at center, at least.

He would 100% be a lock to make it, thats not the reason. The reason is that hes playing regular mins on the wings and the wings arent doing too bad right now. They have until the 19th to release him if they want to so the only way I see that happening is a big losing streak the next week and a half or so.

Not sending Rasmussen leaves one more forward spot open for Veleno to make it. I think his recent production is going to get him on the team but hes not exactly a lock. I would say he has an inside track at this point but needs a good camp. That extra forward spot is good for him.

I'm not sure I would let Zadina go, if he came out of the gate flying I would say yes send him. But hes really starting to produce and figure out the pro game now after a slowish start. He might be better off in Grand Rapids building off his last 5 or so games. Hes got 4 points in his last 3 games but on top of that hes apparently been looking more dangerous than he did to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->