Updated: Wings sending Zadina to WJC

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He would 100% be a lock to make it, thats not the reason. The reason is that hes playing regular mins on the wings and the wings arent doing too bad right now. They have until the 19th to release him if they want to so the only way I see that happening is a big losing streak the next week and a half or so.

They just seem very stubborn about inviting guys who weren’t on WJC teams in the past. It’s dumb, but they consistently seem to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I would probably let him go. He will dominate for his team and grow his confidence. Would be a good opportunity to show himself how much he has already grown as a player. Either way, I don't see it impacting his development much. If he really wants to go, let him. It would be a lot more important to go and get that confidence boost if he was struggling in the AHL, but his numbers are as good as you could expect this early into his D1 year at the AHL level.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
According to Zadina's agent...(from the GR prospects thread)

upload_2018-12-3_20-52-20.png

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed. I hope Zadina stays with GR for development, no sense risking injury. There will be plenty of opps to go to the WC's in the year(s) that Wings don't make the playoffs.

Yeah, it feels like “been there done that” to a degree.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I actually like that quote it shows Zadina is determined to make it to the NHL as quickly as possible as opposed to the personal glory from dominating a tournament for your home country

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Send him, 5 or 6 AHL games is no big deal to miss, and he likely wants to go. I would also send Rasmussen, these are short tournaments, and the games missed are relatively small. As far as what I think happens, Rasmussen doesn't go, and Zadina does go.

OT - Ras and Veleno would absolutely be locks for Team Canada, how wouldn't they be? Ras is an NHLer and Veleno is lighting up the Q right now.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Would the WJC be a bigger challenge for him than remaining with his current team during that stretch? If so, then send him. For all the risk of hurting his confidence by him having a poor tournament, there's also the chance of hurting his confidence in saying you don't think he's ready for the WJC.

Zadina seems like a kid with plenty of self worth (in a good way). Let him push the envelope in whatever (reasonable) challenge he can.

This has zero to do with him not being WJC ready. He'd be a top line player for the Czechs, if not their best.

... The hesitation to send him would be that they don't want to disrupt what he has going in GR.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This has zero to do with him not being WJC ready. He'd be a top line player for the Czechs, if not their best.

... The hesitation to send him would be that they don't want to disrupt what he has going in GR.
Based on the general feedback of the thread, it sounds like the WJC is a lower level of competition than a few random games in Grand Rapids, so the point is moot anyway. But I'm not at all concerned with a few days out of the routine messing up Zadina's development.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Send him, 5 or 6 AHL games is no big deal to miss, and he likely wants to go. I would also send Rasmussen, these are short tournaments, and the games missed are relatively small. As far as what I think happens, Rasmussen doesn't go, and Zadina does go.

OT - Ras and Veleno would absolutely be locks for Team Canada, how wouldn't they be? Ras is an NHLer and Veleno is lighting up the Q right now.
Only Veleno should go. Ras is a everday NHL'er. Zadina would miss ~ 1 month development/training with GR staff...WJC camp starts Dec. 10th, tourney ends Jan 5th, so by the time he got back to GR it'd be 1-6-19...1 month.

Reactions: Winger98

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So you all saying it was a mistake to send Cholo to junior's ,he should have stayed in GR, because AHl is better for his development

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think the main point would be this:

If you sent Rasmussen.. it is most definitely a demotion. The player himself would not want to go to WJC.

For Zadina, the AHL is also better than the WJC. So him going there is playing vs inferior players. Again a step down.

These players want to make the NHL. That is the ultimate goal. Sending either on planes to other situations just to play in crappier games where they can dominate more, does little for the player. As Fans we feel good if either dominated the tournament, but that is about it. So I would say send neither.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So you all saying it was a mistake to send Cholo to junior's ,he should have stayed in GR, because AHl is better for his development

What we are saying is that since Zadina is already in the AHL and is starting to adjust, it makes little sense to send him to play in a glorified prospect exhibition where the level of competition is worse than grown men in a professional league.

Cholowski and his development have nothing to do with it.

If Zadina were scuffling in GR? Send him.
If Zadina were not eligible for GR? Send him.

He gains nothing from it and it potentially disrupts his attempts to make the NHL this year.

e: Cholo was playing in juniors and taking some time because he needed time to physically mature before he'd have any prayer of taking on the AHL or NHL. He simply needed time. Ras and Zadina really just need to round out their games where they are.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What we are saying is that since Zadina is already in the AHL and is starting to adjust, it makes little sense to send him to play in a glorified prospect exhibition where the level of competition is worse than grown men in a professional league.

Cholowski and his development have nothing to do with it.

If Zadina were scuffling in GR? Send him.
If Zadina were not eligible for GR? Send him.

He gains nothing from it and it potentially disrupts his attempts to make the NHL this year.

e: Cholo was playing in juniors and taking some time because he needed time to physically mature before he'd have any prayer of taking on the AHL or NHL. He simply needed time. Ras and Zadina really just need to round out their games where they are.

Plus Zadina has already absolutely lit that tourney up, its obvious that he would likely be out there toying with people

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Obviously I don't think it's the right decision but I think it'd be really fun to watch Rasmussen at the WJC. The amount of edge in his game has increased a ton over the past 20 games. He'd make life miserable for the rest of the world, imo.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Cholo has never played in the WJCs or the AHL...

He's played a regular season and playoff game for the Griffins. He played the regular season game after his NCAA season finished and the playoff game after his WHL team was eliminated last year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Cholo has never played in the WJCs or the AHL...
You realize that there is difference between Canada and Czech Republic. Cholo wasn't good to make the team. On another hand Zadina will play tons against top players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad