Confirmed with Link: UPD Morrissey Suspended One Game by DOPS

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Morrisey's cross check deserved five minutes...just because the refs missed it you can not give him a more severe penalty of one game.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree consistency is lacking but the poster was saying it happens to us only. Which is not the case.

Of course not. I was being slightly dramatic. Although, I do believe there is “favouritism” in the league. And we seem to fall way down to the bottom of that list.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m ok with one game, not end of the world
Agreed. Was hoping for just a fine but a game is not unreasonable. So far the adversity faced by the team: an off game and a bit of a blow out in game 3, and a 1 game suspension to a top pairing D for game 5. Balanced against being up 3-1 going back into our barn where we have been very strong all season. It's playoff time and the heat hasn't even been cranked up yet. Enjoy the ride because if we go deep, this will barely register on the ups and downs of a cup run.

sixty minute hockey

Feb 7, 2012
Manitoba
When I first saw the hit I was immediately thinking one game suspension. Then as the night went on and I remembered how valuable Morriessey is to the Jets I was hoping for just a fine :sarcasm:.

But in all seriousness, I think this was a good call by the DOPS.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
HNIC panel said DOPS deliberated hard between a fine and a 1 game suspension. Probably a split decision.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
That's fair, and if it keeps the goonery out of the next game, I'm all for Morrissey sitting one game for his cross check. Let's see if Foligno decides to run around like an idiot again.

Why wouldn't he?

According to both the on ice officials and the DOPS he has done nothing wrong.

If anything it will probably encourage him to continue that type of play considering it helped his team win game 3.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
f*** off.

DOPS is such a clown show. With all the other shit that has gone on, not just in this series, with no punishment, how does anyone have any faith in these f*** nuts.

Embarrassing, the players have no idea what's a suspendable offense or isn't . Talk about zero leadership or direction, they make it up as they go along.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I wouldn't have given 1 game, considering all the other shit that has gone by unpunished; but it's hardly an egregious punishment and, either way, it's not gonna matter one whit when we roflstomp the Wild on Friday.

Reactions: KingBogo

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm fine with it, I think it was well deserved. But the Department of "Player Safety" is a farce. It's always been a joke, every fan of every team knows it. It's worth calling them out on their inconsistency.

This just serves to make the DoPS look like even more of a joke in how they discipline players. They've always maintained that regular season discipline is more severe than playoffs, yet Marchand got 2 minutes and a fine as a repeat offender. Morrissey got 1 playoff game, so 2 regular season games without being a repeat offender. Consistently inconsistent should be their motto.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What gets me the most is all the open lobbying for this to happen. Well done Gabby, you got your wish you whiny suck. Hope you go down in a ball of flames Friday.

DOPS needa to grow a pair and not let others influence their decisions.

Weak asses.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel your sentiment. Jets will come out flying now, they will be ticked, this should wake us up.
I think we have been awake and for the most part have played very well. I think this helps keep us focused and not jump ahead of ourselves. But Maurice seems to have this team on a real even keel so I really don't think it changes anything short term.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
What gets me the most is all the open lobbying for this to happen. Well done Gabby, you got your wish you whiny suck. Hope you go down in a ball of flames Friday.

DOPS needa to grow a pair and not let others influence their decisions.

Weak asses.

It was the media way more than Beaudreau. Morrissey's cross-check was the most dirty thing of all time, and deserved a strong punishment, but Foligno charging from the blue line and hitting Trouba right in the head is a "good hockey play"

And I quote from Sportsnet:

I'm glad Foligno targeted a smaller player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad