Proposal: Unwanted 3C to the Habs

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I like the idea of a Tierney to MTL trade, and would certainly do it for a 3rd, but am wondering if MTL has a fwd they would part with. My initial thought is Poehling, although I know his value has increased since last year

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What would Montreal fans give for a combo of Faksa + Lindell?
I'd be very interested.

Problem is, the Habs already have Edmundson and Savard signed for multiple years and they fill a similar role to Lindell.

Edmundson would have to be moved, or included in a deal with Dallas. Is that acceptable?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I like the idea of a Tierney to MTL trade, and would certainly do it for a 3rd, but am wondering if MTL has a fwd they would part with. My initial thought is Poehling, although I know his value has increased since last year

I wouldn't unless it's a younger 3c with term. The reason I want a short term one is I think poehling will be ready to play next year full time.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wouldn't unless it's a younger 3c with term. The reason I want a short term one is I think poehling will be ready to play next year full time.
Fair, I know a lot of people had Poehling pegged as a 4C or bottom 6 W before this season, including myself, but obviously he showed some growth this year and I didn’t watch much AHL at all this year so I have no clue.

I’d still do the deal… but only if the Sens can find NHL depth without giving up assets. As much as Tierney struggled last year, and as much as Eugene would love to save 4+mil, Sens really don’t have enough NHL forwards right now.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Fair, I know a lot of people had Poehling pegged as a 4C or bottom 6 W before this season, including myself, but obviously he showed some growth this year and I didn’t watch much AHL at all this year so I have no clue.

I’d still do the deal… but only if the Sens can find NHL depth without giving up assets. As much as Tierney struggled last year, and as much as Eugene would love to save 4+mil, Sens really don’t have enough NHL forwards right now.

Poehling had a really good year, like people say development isn't always linear and Poehling had a bad year in 2020 but 2021 was a good year for him. Not only did he look good but was just under a point per game in the AHL. Looks like he could be a solid 3C after that year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Poehling had a really good year, like people say development isn't always linear and Poehling had a bad year in 2020 but 2021 was a good year for him. Not only did he look good but was just under a point per game in the AHL. Looks like he could be a solid 3C after that year.
Yeah his stats look great. Being a pro isn’t easy and as you said, there is no standard path.

How ‘bout a 3-way:
To MTL: Tierney + TOR 5th
To TOR: MTL 3rd
To OTT: Engvall

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Dude I'll give you the 3rd for Tierney straight up.

Meh, I think we’d rather someone who can play for us this year than the 96th overall pick ;)

We have like 10 actual NHL forwards right now and FA is thin (and probably competitive). I’d take the 3rd if we can find a player elsewhere, but I think Engvall would be a decent add to the bottom of our roster and might even carve out a more permanent role.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Meh, I think we’d rather someone who can play for us this year than the 96th overall pick ;)

We have like 10 actual NHL forwards right now and FA is thin (and probably competitive). I’d take the 3rd if we can find a player elsewhere, but I think Engvall would be a decent add to the bottom of our roster and might even carve out a more permanent role.

Flip the 3rd to the leafs for Engvall, I just see a reason for the Habs to be involved in the deal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This coming season vs Last season:
Suzuki = Suzuki
Evans = Evans
Cizikas (more ice time) = Danault
KK (more ice time) = KK++

Many of you are after the more attractive part where we want more offense. That's basically Eichel. If you can't pull that off, we need to think outside the box and remain an defensive 1st team. Cizikas/Evans takes Danault's defensive zone face-offs. Suzuki does his thing and KK gets more opportunity in the match-up game.

The idea is to improve, not tread water. Evans had to be replaced last season. Cizikas looks good on his Isles line but as an energy forward. He’s not Danault.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I'd be very interested.

Problem is, the Habs already have Edmundson and Savard signed for multiple years and they fill a similar role to Lindell.

Edmundson would have to be moved, or included in a deal with Dallas. Is that acceptable?
Sounds good to me. Edmundson + Drouin? (I have no idea.) I think the salary would pretty much be even.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The idea is to improve, not tread water. Evans had to be replaced last season. Cizikas looks good on his Isles line but as an energy forward. He’s not Danault.

Cizikas is not Danault but the best available to replace Danault in the defensive zone part.

The issue I see is some fans think being average offensively and defensively is a smart plan. I don't! Being top 10 in offense vs top 10 in defense? What's more probable with our core? I'll let you answer that

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tierney or Copp would help insulate KK. But I think Poehling will be ready this season with him and Evans in the 3/4 C roles.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Acquiring Dvorak would likely entail mainly dealing future assets (prospects and picks) to a rebuilding franchise; it wouldn’t come cheap, especially if a bidding war for his services occurs. Arizona has no reason to part with this highly effective, cost-efficient middle-6 C and will thus be greedy, rightly so.

I see Copp as a potentially more affordable acquisition for the Habs since Winnipeg will be tight under the cap after Pionk’s and Stanley’s new contracts and might thus be open to trade Copp (who should command around 4,5M AAV while being used mainly as LW3 since Dubois/Lowry are already sharing middle-6 duties) for a more cost-efficient 3rd liner like Lekhonen and his 2.3M AAV contract - and a small incentive since Copp can play C. (It would furthermore enable Montreal to keep its futures assets for a trade to obtain a much-needed PMD; in that regard, Dunn, who filed for arbitration with Seattle, seems like an obvious candidate.)

Reactions: BKarchitect

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
...if Montreal were to make a trade with Big D, it would probably make more sense for the Habs to go after Klingberg...what would Dallas need back??...
Honestly, I haven't the first clue. Other Stars fans might know better. My guess is some combination of: a good D prospect; a roster player; and a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad