Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't get the appeal of PCO. Yes he's old and can do crazy stuff, but ROH never should have put the title on him.

for me it’s the story of his career more than it is his work itself. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good worker. But his career arc is what’s really fascinating

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I dislike modern shoot stories and dirt sheets for contributing to the current state of wrestling fandom. Specifically how hard it is to enjoy without people demanding certain people in certain spots, how hard it is to get heat (without all blame being put on Vince/writers) and the championing of okay people because there's little dirt on them (thus are viewed as "good people").

I'm getting quite sick of armchair booking and a reluctance to give anything that doesn't have someone's favorite wrestler involved a chance. What's worse are the people who claim to not watch wrestling anymore, almost like a brag, only to live react to every show in real-time and assert that it's "only on in the background". Stop hate watching wrestling and trying to ruin it for anyone else.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Dave Meltzer has his head so far up Kenny Omega and the young bucks asses it is impossible for him to be impartial when discussing them

Kenny Omega vs jobber, 8 STARS!!!!!

I'll go a step further... Okada made Omega and carried him in their matches. Omega has been riding that wave of being the darling of the internet smarks.

One of my own:. AEW is not good overall and is wasting a golden opportunity. They do too much of the tongue in cheek "for the smarks" shit that only plays in a HS gym. They need to get serious, drop the stupid shit and produce a serious national product or else they'll go the way of TNA

Reactions: IceColdOx and CDJ

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'll go a step further... Okada made Omega and carried him in their matches. Omega has been riding that wave of being the darling of the internet smarks.

One of my own:. AEW is not good overall and is wasting a golden opportunity. They do too much of the tongue in cheek "for the smarks" shit that only plays in a HS gym. They need to get serious, drop the stupid shit and produce a serious national product or else they'll go the way of TNA
1) Do you know who would laugh in your face and call you a complete fool if you said that first part to him? Okada himself (along with anyone in the industry whose opinion is worth anything).

2) AEW's PPV buys blow away any TNA show ever in a far more difficult period to sell wrestling PPV's

In roughly 30 shows in it's history AEW has likely drawn more fans than TNA did it's entire first decade of existence combined (and the only thing that would prevent that from being true were some big crowds at some of the events they held in the UK)

If not for the entire planet getting shut down due to a global pandemic AEW would've ended up in the black in it's very first year of existence whereas TNA was never anything but a money pit.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
1) Do you know who would laugh in your face and call you a complete fool if you said that first part to him? Okada himself (along with anyone in the industry whose opinion is worth anything).

2) AEW's PPV buys blow away any TNA show ever in a far more difficult period to sell wrestling PPV's

In roughly 30 shows in it's history AEW has likely drawn more fans than TNA did it's entire first decade of existence combined (and the only thing that would prevent that from being true were some big crowds at some of the events they held in the UK)

If not for the entire planet getting shut down due to a global pandemic AEW would've ended up in the black in it's very first year of existence whereas TNA was never anything but a money pit.

So how long have you and Okada been close?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So how long have you and Okada been close?
I wouldn't even need to have met him to know what his reaction to such a mindbendingly stupid statement would be. You are attempting to obfuscate the issue to distract from the fact that the statement the other poster made was idiotic and that anyone who knew anything about wrestling would know it. If Omega was a guy who needed to be carried he NEVER would've ended up as one of the handful of top guys in NJPW. Anyone who tries to claim Omega isn't that good as a wrestler deserves to be mocked and ridiculed every bit as much as anyone who would suggest LeBron isn't as good of a basketball player as people think.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Dave Meltzer has his head so far up Kenny Omega and the young bucks asses it is impossible for him to be impartial when discussing them

Kenny Omega vs jobber, 8 STARS!!!!!
Look up Dave's review of Kenny's match vs Yano from a few years back (a match that was almost universally loved) and then come back and admit you are wrong.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't even need to have met him to know what his reaction to such a mindbendingly stupid statement would be. You are attempting to obfuscate the issue to distract from the fact that the statement the other poster made was idiotic and that anyone who knew anything about wrestling would know it. If Omega was a guy who needed to be carried he NEVER would've ended up as one of the handful of top guys in NJPW. Anyone who tries to claim Omega isn't that good as a wrestler deserves to be mocked and ridiculed every bit as much as anyone who would suggest LeBron isn't as good of a basketball player as people think.

So you don't know Okada? It's of course very impressive to read Meltzer but I need a bit more than someone who reads Meltzer to know that Okada (or the whole industry whose opinion is apparently worthwhile) feels that strongly, even if the original statement in question is likely hyperbole. It is nice to see that we have such expertise being put to use in the thread about... unpopular wrestling opinions, though.

Reactions: CDJ

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
I love having a guy repeatedly come into an opinions thread to attempt to correct people with different opinions.

Opinions aren't facts, no matter who they come from.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I love having a guy repeatedly come into an opinions thread to attempt to correct people with different opinions.

Opinions aren't facts, no matter who they come from.
If I posted "Jim Cornette wasn't that good of a manager and talker" (which would be every bit as ridiculous as claiming Omega isn't good/ is overrated as a wrestler) would you say "That's just an opinion" or would you say "That's total nonsense"?

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
If I posted "Jim Cornette wasn't that good of a manager and talker" (which would be every bit as ridiculous as claiming Omega isn't good/ is overrated as a wrestler) would you say "That's just an opinion" or would you say "That's total nonsense"?
I'd probably just ignore your post as this isn't a thread for arguing. I also certainly wouldn't start citing other wrestlers' opinions of Cornette as proof. I certainly wouldn't aggressively call you stupid or be offended by the fact that you have a differing opinion to mine.

Jim Cornette doesn't need me to fight for his honor in a message board thread specifically for stating unpopular opinions.

One thing's for sure, I'm getting quite tired of you coming into this thread and trying to aggressively present yourself as some kind of insider (a large scale problem on many wrestling forums) and that your and "Dave's" opinions are facts.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Look up Dave's review of Kenny's match vs Yano from a few years back (a match that was almost universally loved) and then come back and admit you are wrong.

I don’t need to go read his reviews from years ago to know what I see now

Sorry I hurt your feelings in the unpopular opinion thread, Dave

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Lebron is good at every facet of the game and I dislike him immensely and intensely. Kenny cant cut a promo if his life depended on it

Imagine coming into an unpopular opinion thread and getting butthurt at an unpopular opinion

couldn’t be me, I’m a rational human though. Kenny Omega just isn’t that good to me, he thinks he’s a dragon ball Z character. It is what it is.

For the record his tag team partner is WAY more over

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don’t need to go read his reviews from years ago to know what I see now

Sorry I hurt your feelings in the unpopular opinion thread, Dave
You made a statement that was in fact not true (Dave is never critical of Omega) and I demonstrated that it wasn't true, you responded like that. What more need be said?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You made a statement that was in fact not true (Dave is never critical of Omega) and I demonstrated that it wasn't true, you responded like that. What more need be said?

you cited an example from years ago whereas I’m speaking in the present tense. There have been a few things that have happened since omega faced Bjork or Yanny or whatever the f***. You realize this yes? Because Dave will defend every little thing they do and take it personally whenever Kenny is faced with criticism- not unlike you

Again I apologize for offending you in the unpopular opinions thread. If it Chafes your asshole to see unpopular opinions so much may I suggest not reading it

I do not think Kenny omega is a difference maker. I think they’d be in the same place with or without him. Maybe that’s how he’s been booked, but that’s how I feel. Sorry for hurting your feelings

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
you cited an example from years ago whereas I’m speaking in the present tense. There have been a few things that have happened since omega faced Bjork or Yanny or whatever the f***. You realize this yes? Because Dave will defend every little thing they do and take it personally whenever Kenny is faced with criticism- not unlike you

Again I apologize for offending you in the unpopular opinions thread. If it Chafes your asshole to see unpopular opinions so much may I suggest not reading it

I do not think Kenny omega is a difference maker. I think they’d be in the same place with or without him. Maybe that’s how he’s been booked, but that’s how I feel. Sorry for hurting your feelings
After the Russoesque mocking of foreign names you forgot to add the line about doing ramen noodle moonsaults to hammer the childish bigotry home. Oh well...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bigotry lol

No, my point is that he’s irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Which he is. He is literally not worth me scrolling up and re-reading your crybaby post.

But again keep crying in the unpopular opinions thread about people’s unpopular opinions, people aren’t judging you at all. You definitely look like a sane and rational galaxy brain

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If I really wanted to troll I would say I don’t care what your apparent personal friend who spoofed a god damn green hornet sidekick in a D- promotion would say about Kenny Omega......but I won’t do that because I actually think Okada is compelling to watch and is one of the best in the world

It’s not my fault that here in 2020 Kenny omega can take a dump in the ring and play finger paints with it on the canvas and Meltzer would call it transcendent. I mean, I’m not a Satin guy by any means but Dave acted like he shot his family member when he dared critique the match against the jobber a week ago for being booked poorly

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The trope of the referee regularly getting knocked out cold in matches from a simple touch (like during the attitude era) was fun and WWE should incorporate it into matches more often.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Sorry not sorry, Omega is the definition of mediocre and all that is wrong with indy smark wrestling.

He isn't good enough in ring to get over on it like a Bret Hart. He can't cut a promo or sell a match to save his life. He isn't a draw.

He got over with the internet fans that eat up stupid garbage as "funny" or "revolutionary" with dumb shit like singing into a broom and wrestling an 8 year old girl.

Unfortunately that is the stuff AEW is choosing to book, at their detriment. The average wrestling fan doesn't want to see that crap. Or dumb things like Orange Cassidy openly mocking wrestling and basically pointing a giant sign saying "hey it's fake, look look"

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Or dumb things like Orange Cassidy openly mocking wrestling and basically pointing a giant sign saying "hey it's fake, look look"

I remember watching AEW once and they had a battle royal. I was saying to myself if this tried to act like it was real somebody would have kicked Orange Cassidy's face while he was sitting by the ropes with his hands in his pocket

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sorry not sorry, Omega is the definition of mediocre and all that is wrong with indy smark wrestling.

He isn't good enough in ring to get over on it like a Bret Hart. He can't cut a promo or sell a match to save his life. He isn't a draw.

He got over with the internet fans that eat up stupid garbage as "funny" or "revolutionary" with dumb shit like singing into a broom and wrestling an 8 year old girl.

Unfortunately that is the stuff AEW is choosing to book, at their detriment. The average wrestling fan doesn't want to see that crap. Or dumb things like Orange Cassidy openly mocking wrestling and basically pointing a giant sign saying "hey it's fake, look look"

I didn't know that Jim Cornette was on HFBoards. Welcome Corny! :laugh:

I agree on Omega regarding promos and on the mic in any capacity based on what I've seen, but I do think he's good in the ring. Maybe not great, but good. The problem is more with the era. Today's era has a lot of great in-ring work and the majority of the guys are in good shape. However they don't sell like they used to and they don't sell long enough.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
In terms of credibility pro wrestling of today is far more credible looking than the pre 1990's product. For example look at any 80's card from MSG on WWEN and then look at just about any WWE show of the past year (or past 20 or so years). The idea that old pro wrestling was way more credible looking isn't true at all.

Arguments about pro wrestling looking "real" are usually pretty silly because everyone has seen what a real fight looks like since the birth of MMA and an MMA fight looks nothing like a pro wrestling match (this fact actually killed off "shoot" pro wrestling groups because it exposed that they were not a shoot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad