Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In terms of credibility pro wrestling of today is far more credible looking than the pre 1990's product. For example look at any 80's card from MSG on WWEN and then look at just about any WWE show of the past year (or past 20 or so years). The idea that old pro wrestling was way more credible looking isn't true at all.

Is this based on production values or actual wrestling? In terms of production values the WWF/e have always been top of the line for the time it's been in. As for wrestling I would argue today's wrestling seems to much like a gym routine while the older matches had a much better flow to them(not saying all of the matches but a good amount).

I have nothing against "high spots" if used properly(which would be once every month or 2, but it seems today's wrestling rely so much on a high spot it becomes normalized as if they were doing a body slam). When you see the same move 10 times on a TV show it to often feels forced. Just using this as an example the the spot where a guy jumps over the rope and takes down like 2-3 guys(in all reality they catch him and fall down) is wonderful if you haven't seen it for awhile and it just happens naturally in the match, but when you watch a show and see it a bunch of times you just start asking yourself if this was real why wouldn't they just move out of the way(it's even worse when used multiple times in the same match). It's a basic case the law of diminishing returns(ie the more you see something the less entertaining it becomes) and I would say what today's wrestling lacks is proper pacing(ie not every match on the card has to be a 4/5 star match or a spotfest)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Is this based on production values or actual wrestling? In terms of production values the WWF/e have always been top of the line for the time it's been in. As for wrestling I would argue today's wrestling seems to much like a gym routine while the older matches had a much better flow to them(not saying all of the matches but a good amount).

I have nothing against "high spots" if used properly(which would be once every month or 2, but it seems today's wrestling rely so much on a high spot it becomes normalized as if they were doing a body slam). When you see the same move 10 times on a TV show it to often feels forced. Just using this as an example the the spot where a guy jumps over the rope and takes down like 2-3 guys(in all reality they catch him and fall down) is wonderful if you haven't seen it for awhile and it just happens naturally in the match, but when you watch a show and see it a bunch of times you just start asking yourself if this was real why wouldn't they just move out of the way(it's even worse when used multiple times in the same match). It's a basic case the law of diminishing returns(ie the more you see something the less entertaining it becomes) and I would say what today's wrestling lacks is proper pacing(ie not every match on the card has to be a 4/5 star match or a spotfest)
But that's an example of how people look at things through rose colored glasses: back in the late 90's when there were those Kit Carson videos of classic wrestling they couldn't use the vast majority of the stuff from the old territories because the quality of the matches would look terrible to the modern audience. The philosophy you are espousing was last tried in a major promotion when Bill Watts was running WCW and it was a disaster (and that was in 1992/93). And if you tell everyone on the card to go out every night and have a middling **1/2 match so as not to overshadow the main event none of them will get over to the point where they could headline (particularly in this day and age with match quality being more important than ever).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But that's an example of how people look at things through rose colored glasses

Fair enough. I can only comment at the time how it felt watching it. As I said using the guy jumping over the top to hit a couple guys so they all fall(as my example, it) was a holy crap moment when it was done in moderation(and because it caught you by surprise), but now it's like you can already see them line the move up and it's like well here we go again.

Using an 80s to 90s reference. Chair shots used to be a huge holy f moment in the 80s, but by the very late 90s it became routine and lost it's luster.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Dusty Rhodes was pretty much a heel in the 80s. His promos were usually about how great he was, the tantrums he threw about Babydoll leaving him for a better man, how he looked with the bleached perm, the underlying knowledge that he was the "executive producer" etc. There's a reason he started cutting promos in front of select audiences I guess.

Just look at the man:

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Kaner9

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jim Cornette is a nut and I don't always agree with him but I could listen to the man talk about the business every single day.
I hated him growing up. However, as it is with a lot of guys now that we are getting to know more and more about these guys behind the scenes I really like him.

Unpopular opinion. I didn't like the Rock at all in Wrestling, thought he was annoying. Yet, I really like him in movies.

Reactions: iamjs and IceColdOx

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
I hated him growing up. However, as it is with a lot of guys now that we are getting to know more and more about these guys behind the scenes I really like him.

Unpopular opinion. I didn't like the Rock at all in Wrestling, thought he was annoying. Yet, I really like him in movies.

I hate how since 2015 that Rock has killed a lot of current guys momentum. He beat the entire Wyatt family in 32 seconds, he makes fun of Rusev and Corbin on separate occasions to make those guys look like idiots. Imagine if Rusev Machka kicked or Corbin hit the End of Days on Dwayne. They might be taken seriously because 'Holy crap. That guy beat up The Rock."

Reactions: joestevens29

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

funny cause as a kid I loved The Rock, one of my favourites. As I got older I realized just how cringeworthy his catchphrases were. Also found his move set extremely limited. Always a great seller though.

Reactions: iamjs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I hate how since 2015 that Rock has killed a lot of current guys momentum. He beat the entire Wyatt family in 32 seconds, he makes fun of Rusev and Corbin on separate occasions to make those guys look like idiots. Imagine if Rusev Machka kicked or Corbin hit the End of Days on Dwayne. They might be taken seriously because 'Holy crap. That guy beat up The Rock."

Rock has no problem putting people over if he’s going away either, that’s what makes him burying guys so confusing to me

I watched him put Lesnar over clean in the center of the ring at Summerslam 2002. It basically made the guy and now he’s their best draw 18 years later, partially because of that match

They don’t do that anymore. They tried with McIntyre over Lesnar but with no crowd it just isn’t the same

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This may take some heat but I like The Rock a lot more now and since he went Hollywood. His "wrestling" actually improved. In his prime to me as a full-timer The Rock was a terrible wrestler and had three moves. It was punch, punch, punch, punch spit punch 99% of the matches. Boring.

HHH I like a lot more as a promoter or creative than a wrestler. Another guy who used three moves in the ring.

Also I'm sick of the Montreal Screwjob. I get it. But we don't need any more documentaries or discussion. It's been beaten to death so much. We all know what happened and why.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamjs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This may take some heat but I like The Rock a lot more now and since he went Hollywood. His "wrestling" actually improved. In his prime to me as a full-timer The Rock was a terrible wrestler and had three moves. It was punch, punch, punch, punch spit punch 99% of the matches. Boring.

HHH I like a lot more as a promoter or creative than a wrestler. Another guy who used three moves in the ring.

Also I'm sick of the Montreal Screwjob. I get it. But we don't need any more documentaries or discussion. It's been beaten to death so much. We all know what happened and why.

How dare you neglect to mention The Rock' shaky leg kicks in the corner? That move was great.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
Nobody ask themselve what would have happened if Krispe Nua didnt commit that double murder / suicide.

I wish we would have proceed with Vince ''funeral''. They would have bring Vince brother into the storyline.

If Eddie didn't die, a lot of things would have happen.

HBK vs Eddie
OHHH MY.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
After being sexual chocolate Mark Henry was always great. And sexual chocolate was good too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
After being sexual chocolate Mark Henry was always great. And sexual chocolate was good too.

Honestly if it wasn’t racist as shit the Silverback stuff could’ve been good. Should’ve used it on Ryback instead. I love Hall of Pain era Mark Henry

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Not sure if this is popular or unpopular, but wrestling shows are better when faces are cheered and heels are booed.

If I'm at a show, I'll boo the heels, even if I like their character.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Big Daddy V was amazing

Mabel and viscera no, but Big Daddy V should have been the longest reigning champion in WWECW history. The GOAT. Rip

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The problem with Raw now isn't that its scripted. It's the presentation and repetition. The product is too diluted.

That's true. It wouldn't matter who says what, it won't come off well with the way that WWE presents its main shows and how many hours there are to fill.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That's true. It wouldn't matter who says what, it won't come off well with the way that WWE presents its main shows and how many hours there are to fill.

Their vibe just sucks. The way they view the world is dumb. Example, I hate when Alexa Bliss does that dumb hand pose, or anytime Sasha Banks shows up Michael Cole says "It's Boss Time" on repeat. Or referring to Finn Balor as the former universal champion in every match. Or Riddle having to say bro a zillion times.

It's just not organic.

Would Arn Anderson ever do the same interview twice?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Their vibe just sucks. The way they view the world is dumb. Example, I hate when Alexa Bliss does that dumb hand pose, or anytime Sasha Banks shows up Michael Cole says "It's Boss Time" on repeat. Or referring to Finn Balor as the former universal champion in every match. Or Riddle having to say bro a zillion times.

It's just not organic.

Would Arn Anderson ever do the same interview twice?

It is pretty ridiculous. WWE is focused on branding, social media, and squeezing as much as possible out of a shrinking fanbase. Those things are fine to various degrees but it would be so much more effective to work on making the product better. But then again that would require Vince and company to stop pretending to be Hollywood types and allowing some people with knowledge of how to make a wrestling show work, so it's very unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad