Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
The Rock is the most talented performer of all-time and it’s not even close.

He was probably the least protected megastar in history and the fact that he overcame such a shitty booking is a testament of his greatness.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Rock is the most talented performer of all-time and it’s not even close.

He was probably the least protected megastar in history and the fact that he overcame such a shitty booking is a testament of his greatness.

Hey bud - I think you're confused. The OP is asking for unpopular wrestling opinions ;)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The popular opinion on The Rock is that he’s the best mic worker of all time, not necessarily the best performer.

Ok, I assume you were talking overall, not just in-ring. He's a great performer - not the best though. Maybe if you combine everything together - i'd agree with him being the best. There are some better performers just in-ring though - Shawn Michaels being a big one for me, always found a way to get crowds invested into his matches. Rock is very good though

Reactions: TheGuiminator

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Ok, I assume you were talking overall, not just in-ring. He's a great performer - not the best though. Maybe if you combine everything together - i'd agree with him being the best. There are some better performers just in-ring though - Shawn Michaels being a big one for me, always found a way to get crowds invested into his matches. Rock is very good though

Yes I meant overall, Rock at his peak was the total package : great on the mic, great character work and really good in the ring. Hell, his charisma and his drawing abilities alone put him in GOAT territory. He was everything you could dream of a pro-wrestler/entertainer.

If we talk about in-ring only, I agree Shawn is in a tier of his own. I always switch back and forth with him and Savage but I think Shawn has the edge.

Reactions: bobholly39

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Rock is good but I definitely think he loses points for all-time due to his in-ring. Not saying he was awful, but without his charisma and talking I don't think his in-ring would be passable.

My top 4 personal favorites are:
Bret Hart
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero
Randy Savage

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was never able to get back into wrestling once the pg era started, growing up in the attitude era which graduated to the ruthless aggression era can you honestly blame me? It’s a garbage product to me now all it is is more lights and pyro and less talent. That’s what WWE turned into. Not only that the commentary went down hill once they went pg, the stuff Jerry “The King” Lawler used to say was hilarious and would not fly in this “I’m offended” era/culture we’re living in right now. One they went political they lost me.

I do still enjoy the videos games though, those are fun I wish they could make a legends only game that would just honour both the eras I mentioned.

I will however say I checked out some AEW content on YouTube seems like a far superior product and is what wrestling should be.

Edit: The fact that they have Goldberg as a champion at his age is kind of sad as well. Even though I haven’t been watching I still get wrestling stuff in my news feed I understand they have Reigns, Owens and Wyatt as their go to guys in the company why aren’t they pushing those guys to be the next big stars? Instead they have a 42 and a 53 Y/O as champions?

Last edited:

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
I was never able to get back into wrestling once the pg era started, growing up in the attitude era which graduated to the ruthless aggression era can you honestly blame me? It’s a garbage product to me now all it is is more lights and pyro and less talent. That’s what WWE turned into. Not only that the commentary went down hill once they went pg, the stuff Jerry “The King” Lawler used to say was hilarious and would not fly in this “I’m offended” era/culture we’re living in right now. One they went political they lost me.

I do still enjoy the videos games though, those are fun I wish they could make a legends only game that would just honour both the eras I mentioned.

I will however say I checked out some AEW content on YouTube seems like a far superior product and is what wrestling should be.

Edit: The fact that they have Goldberg as a champion at his age is kind of sad as well. Even though I haven’t been watching I still get wrestling stuff in my news feed I understand they have Reigns, Owens and Wyatt as their go to guys in the company why aren’t they pushing those guys to be the next big stars? Instead they have a 42 and a 53 Y/O as champions?
WWE isn't super interested in making stars anymore. It's about getting WWE over as a brand. WrestleMania is coming up. Starting at Mania 27 or so it became less about a culmination and big end of season show and became more about being a sales pitch and showcase. They probably put the belt on Goldberg to appeal to the casual fans who only tune in for the big shows, not to intentionally bury Wyatt. It's clear when they're scrambling to fill the Mania card every February rather than have long term planning in place. Better get everyone on the show and make it 7 hours long.

They're the Harlem Globetrotters now. You aren't going to see Steve Austin and The Rock, you're going to see WWE. That being said, they don't mind when someone gets super over at all. See Lynch.

Reactions: iamjs

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
- Christian was criminally misused during his time in the WWE

-Randy Orton was extremely over rated, not so much these days as he's leaned into who he is

-The old days of wrestling is severely over hyped (Hogan era, Von Erich era etc)

I always liked Orton but he's a guy who would be nothing if it wasnt for him being a 3rd generation wrestler and having one of the greatest finishing moves ever.

I'll get a ton of flak for this but I dont care. Hulk Hogan was simply a byproduct of his era and would probably would get more hate than guys like Cena and Reigns if he started out today.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes Christian was one of the most glaring examples of Vince making his mind up and that being that. People in WWE spout that you've got to get yourself over and Christian did that only for WWE to sandbag him at every opportunity.

Orton sucks and always did.

Funk is very underappreciated. He was never great in ring but had a very long run of being very acceptable. He's one of the best promos ever though and has had an extremely interesting career.

The most interesting part of Wyatt's new gimmick is the Mr. Rogers aspect. WWE doesn't know how to book a monster and Wyatt was never that good to begin with.
Terry Funk was never great in the ring? Are you out of your goddamned mind? In 1989 when he was in really bad shape and could barely move he had one of the greatest matches of the 1980's with Flair that was also one of Flair's greatest matches ever. And the guy was NWA champion in an era where you had to be great in the ring to get the belt (Dusty is the big exception but he only had a couple of short reigns).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Terry Funk was never great in the ring? Are you out of your goddamned mind? In 1989 when he was in really bad shape and could barely move he had one of the greatest matches of the 1980's with Flair that was also one of Flair's greatest matches ever. And the guy was NWA champion in an era where you had to be great in the ring to get the belt (Dusty is the big exception but he only had a couple of short reigns).

I'm familiar with Funk's work and I don't buy that he was great in ring. He's great overall but his strengths were elsewhere. I don't really buy the NWA champions before Flair as great in ring either, at least by the standard that I'm looking for. They were generally at least believable as tough guys but even then there were some duds like Baba and Rich.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: Man we are just here chatting wrestling. AEW is on fire. NXT is good. Hell Raw was even good until the Saudi show. Feel free to chat wrestling! But leave that nonsense out of here. This is a fun chill board. Natey is about to wrestle his first match. We have amazing members who have fun here. If you want to stop in, just have some fun and talk wrastlin!

(Mod Note) -- If you aren't into that discussion, we will get ya removed so we can stay on topic. :)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Rock is good but I definitely think he loses points for all-time due to his in-ring. Not saying he was awful, but without his charisma and talking I don't think his in-ring would be passable.

My top 4 personal favorites are:
Bret Hart
Chris Jericho
Eddie Guerrero
Randy Savage

That's three of my top five, but I prefer The Rock to Guerrero. That's fully acknowledging that Guerrero was quite a bit better in ring and certainly a more well rounded performer.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
That's three of my top five, but I prefer The Rock to Guerrero. That's fully acknowledging that Guerrero was quite a bit better in ring and certainly a more well rounded performer.
Just splitting hairs at that point really. Legitimate cases for both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->