Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I'll start.

I miss when PPV's used to have different and unique times when they took place and what day- Royal Rumble used to be an afternoon show, heck it was actually on Saturday 3 times (1991-1992-1994), WrestleMania had an afternoon start times from 1985-1994, SummerSlam was on Monday nights (1988-1994), and Survivor Series was on Thanksgiving Night/Eve. long before these events were beholden to Sunday and 6-7 PM starts.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
- People give Cena so much flack for not putting people over when he was around but didn't give Austin the same flack.

- I respect the hell outta him but I never could get into Bret Hart

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
- People give Cena so much flack for not putting people over when he was around but didn't give Austin the same flack.

- I respect the hell outta him but I never could get into Bret Hart

I was the same with Benoit, never really was a fan even before the incident.

Think it stems back to when I was a kid and I saw him blow some snot rockets in the ring. I thought that was the grossest thing ever. :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Define better. Because, I do agree he was a better worker. Not sure he was a better character.

Arguably a better worker, as you said, and more charismatic and a better promo. Could be very good as both face and heel. Edge certainly had better booking and the Rated R superstar was great. It isn't meant as a shot at Edge, I am just a big Christian supporter. I guess that makes me a peep.

I respect the hell outta him but I never could get into Bret Hart

To piggyback off this, I feel the same about Angle. Objectively I know that he is a great, well rounded wrestler. I don't like him though.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Christian was definitely misused/neglected while Edge got all the fame and glory. I usually saw them as two sides of the same coin, cut from the same cloth, that sort of thing. Very similar talents but Vince clearly had a preference and went with it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Christian was definitely misused/neglected while Edge got all the fame and glory. I usually saw them as two sides of the same coin, cut from the same cloth, that sort of thing. Very similar talents but Vince clearly had a preference and went with it.

Vince doesn't like Uggo's

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Vince doesn't like Uggo's

cage.gif

....I don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Thank god someone covered up that creepy little bastard.

Another unpopular thought - the Spirit Squad wasn't bad. I enjoyed them and there was potential there.

I felt the same about Wade Barrett.

Sure, Wastelands was a crappy finisher but if Cena hadn't absolutely buried him (against Edge and Jericho's advice) he'd have stuck around a lot longer, or at least had a better chance to gain traction.

Instead the Nexus angle was DOA because of Cena and Vince.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Ken Shamrock, besides being a terrible promo, should have been WWF's Goldberg.

I'm pretty sure this was Shamrock, but I heard a story from a while back where he was in the locker room stretching on the floor and Big Show started giving him shit. Shamrock brought him down without even standing up. :laugh:

EDIT: Ken Shamrock Talks About Beating Up JBL And Big Show

Not quite the same thing but still one tough mofo, lol

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'm pretty sure this was Shamrock, but I heard a story from a while back where he was in the locker room stretching on the floor and Big Show started giving him ****. Shamrock brought him down without even standing up. :laugh:

EDIT: Ken Shamrock Talks About Beating Up JBL And Big Show

Not quite the same thing but still one tough mofo, lol

Even if Shamrock had come into WWF a few years earlier (like 93/94) when Hogan was phased out and Bret was on top, he would have been a huge star. Of course his UFC run made him a name, so timing is everything. But I always thought he was a decent worker in just a typical wrestling sense.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I felt the same about Wade Barrett.

Sure, Wastelands was a crappy finisher but if Cena hadn't absolutely buried him (against Edge and Jericho's advice) he'd have stuck around a lot longer, or at least had a better chance to gain traction.

Instead the Nexus angle was DOA because of Cena and Vince.
Did Cena really bury him though? Or just bury the Nexus? Barrett stuck around after for quite a while. He was getting some big reactions as Bad News. I never saw anything special in him but it seems WWE was actively working against him for whatever reason, even after the Nexus stuff.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That fans use wrestling terms too loosely:
- mark
- "popped the boys"
- kayfabe
- bury

They are words we shouldn't be using in today's wrestling. Period. But we all do. I even find myself saying these words in real life. Embarrassing.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rob Van Dam used to get **** for stretching backstage too back in the day.

The locker room back then was on some next level bull****

I cannot wait til all those people are long gone from the wrestling business. What a terrible culture/atmosphere. Pure bullying. And then they all cry and whine as their bodies are beaten down when all they had to do was look after one another.

Now they blame the culture of the room on being too nice. Get out of here. This era's generation is going to live WAAAY longer than the past one did.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
That fans use wrestling terms too loosely:
- mark
- "popped the boys"
- kayfabe
- bury

They are words we shouldn't be using in today's wrestling. Period. But we all do. I even find myself saying these words in real life. Embarrassing.
I love using wrestling terms in non wrestling situations. A lot of them are so apt. I'd never use the language to an actual pro though.
Sometimes they're worth using. The term "bury" is often overused to describe every loss. Sometimes I think people want everyone to have a belt and no one to lose.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I cannot wait til all those people are long gone from the wrestling business. What a terrible culture/atmosphere. Pure bullying. And then they all cry and whine as their bodies are beaten down when all they had to do was look after one another.

Now they blame the culture of the room on being too nice. Get out of here. This era's generation is going to live WAAAY longer than the past one did.
They’ve already left for the most part and the ones from the old guard that are still around adapted with the times (Show, Henry, etc.)

The locker room today seems like a much better atmosphere. Austin used to describe having to be cutthroat because someone was always coming for his spot and even today says if you’re not in the business to be the top champ you’re in the wrong biz, but the times have changed. Like The Usos for example admitted in an interview over WM weekend that they never even thought of going for singles stuff and only wanted to be a tag team. The New Day were actively working to get Kofi the title rather than themselves and have threatened to quit if they ever tried breaking them up.

It’s a much better atmosphere these days, a large part being that a lot of them aren’t just money marks or marks for themselves and are all living the same dream and willing to make their counterparts look good because for the most part, they’re all friends and have each other’s back. A lot of that seems to be fostered from the leadership of Roman Reigns from interviews too. He’s the first locker room leader who really seems to be looking out for “the boys” and that’s a part of his football background too.

Reactions: Jbwest31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad